• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Zen and Shadow (ALPHA DEMO IN DEVELOPMENT, RECRUITMENT OPEN!)

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2022
    Hello! Me and my team are creating a brand new game, called:

Pokemon Zen Version!!!

Here are some details:

The game is dedicated to our leader's cousin, Jamie Emmons, the mastermind behind this project. Sadly, she took her own life and never got to see her creation come to life, so we're carrying on the legacy she left with us!

The game is being made exclusively through Pokemon Essentials v16.2, and will have many new features:
    • 109 Brand-New Pokemon, complete with sprites and cries!
    • 2 Giant Regions to explore; Crystalline and Faris
    • 41 Brand-New Mega Evolutions and 3 Brand-New Primal Reversions!
    • Periodic Mystery Gift Events (Will be updated in different increments!) for Special Items and Pokemon!
    • 43 Brand-New Moves, including those with Dual-type functions; one of which is Smithing Smash, which is dual Fire-Steel type and has a chance to burn!
    • 32 Brand-New Abilities, including upgrades to old abilities, like Adept, the upgrade to Technician! Adept powers up moves of base 90 power or below!
    • 2 New Weather Conditions; Full Moon and Toxic Rain! Full Moon powers up Fairy-type moves and increases the HP recovered from the move Moonlight, and Toxic Rain damages all non-Poison-types and powers up Poison-type moves!
    • We Gave the Player Character a Voice! Your PC is now an arrogant know-it-all who aims to be the best after being home-stuck all of his life!
    • Raised Level Cap and EV cap! The level cap has been raised to Level 160, and EVs have been capped to a brand new 320 EVs per stat and a 650 total EV cap! And with this, new items to help train your Pokemon thanks to this new cap!

These are just a few of the new features included within this game. It will feature a rich story with plenty of twists and turns, and many powerful legendaries to await!

The quickest plot summary I can give about our game is this;
    "In Pokemon: Zen Version, join protagonists Pete and Kohara on their journey to stop the evil Team Disruption (name change pending). You start off in the beautiful Gem City, where you meet your rival Durga, as well as local resident Kohara. Upon witnessing your battle with Durga, Kohara decides to ask you a favor. She wishes to journey and get stronger to participate in the Crystalline Pokémon Contests. However, all is not well, as Team Disruption needs Kohara to awaken the legendary Titan of the region, Serkira and Ebondrac. What happens next is up to you to find out."

As far as progress goes, we are still in the very early stages of development; we have all the Pokemon we want created, as well as moves, abilities, and other scripts for move effects, etc. etc., which took over two years of planning. This game started as a ROM hack of FireRed, but we moved it over to Essentials when we realized it would be impossible with what expertise each of us has (which is to say, not very much compared to a lot of members here). And needless to say, we still have a LONG way to go.

This is all we have so far; our starter-choosing section and some special moves and Abilities brand-new to this game:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7naGiszoz_rbWFUSWlMYkoxaTg

Currently, we are developing an Alpha release, which currently has an unknown release date. Rest assured this post will be updated with details of the release! And with this mentioned, we are also currently open for recruiting! Because it's taken us this long to get this far anyway!

These are the open positions for recruitment;
    • Tileset creators (desperately in need of Gen IV-style boat/airplane tiles PLZ)
    • Tileset Insertion
    • Spriters (Trainers and Pokemon)
    • Scripters (Proficient in RUBY and in Map Scripts)

Any other positions will be considered, but we will always give a fair shot. Just be sure to provide us with a piece of work that you have worked on (preferably relating to Pokemon); the higher the quality of work you provide, the more considered for the position you will be!

And this is a quick summary of details, including our team and some special thanks! Thank you very much for reading!

Details of the game:
    • 109 New Pokemon
    • 41 new Mega Evos and 3 new Primal Reversions
    • 43 new moves and 32 new Abilities
    • 2 Regions to explore — Crystalline and Faris
    • Periodic Mystery Gifts
    • PC has a voice.

Team:
    • Project Mastermind/Dedicated to: Jamie Emmons (XxRocket95xX)
    • Leader: TheAncientOmega
    • Lead Scripter/Programmer/Planner...(4 hours later)...etc.: sonicfan7895
    • Lead Storyboarder/Advertiser/Title Screen Design: ThatGuyWalkingBy
    • Story Help and Character Concept Design: FanGirlAnimator
    • Lead Tileset Inserter/OW Spriter: DarkHeroUltimo
    • Lead Spriter: solarsonic11
    • Music Assistance/Additional Ideas: StarchaserXFER

Special thanks:
    • Maruno, lead developer for Pokemon Essentials and the entire team behind Pokemon Essentials!
    • mej71 and the community for the distribution of the Gen VI for Essentials Pack. Thank you to everyone mentioned in the OP! (wish I could credit the entire team, but it would be too long, so here's a link to the OP (WILL BE UPDATED LATER WITH ACTUAL LINK))
    • PokeCommunity user 塗 ゆり for the use of the RGSS FmodEx extension for Essentials! Without this I wouldn't be able to use MP3s or OGG files, but instead reverting to MIDI and sacrificing quality.
    • Everyone else! Either for the assistance we've asked for or for the scripts that you've let the public use (if I've used a script in the Alpha release and I don't credit you, PM me). http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=349496

-sonicfan7895

(EDIT: Added some links, except to the crew for P.E.. I have no idea where to look. XD
    -TheAncientOmega)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2023
    I think a very important question is:
    Plans for a new Eeveelution? Plz

Increased lvl cap AND ev cap :O Finally, someone thinking outside the box.
    2 regions!
    New Megas!
    Primals!
    Dual type moves seem like an incredible gift to the world.

My man/woman
    This.Seems.Awesome. Please run with this. Complete this no matter what.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2022
    Definitely some nice ideas here! If you want, I could help with sprites, pokemon, trainers, the whole shabang. Anyway, can't wait to see some screenshots! Will keep an eye on this for sure.

If you want to lend us a hand, it would be greatly appreciated, Nicotot! Just shoot the team a PM with your Skype/Discord name and we can get you started right away!

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2022
    Just saw this and it looks very promising, can't wait to check out the demo when it releases

Thank you! We'll be sure to bring the early-access Beta to PokeCommunity first! Of course, we need to Alpha Test several things before we can get a good enough Beta, but that's just part of the job!
    -TheAncientOmega

Last edited:

Wulu

just some guy
    Years
  • I like the features of this game (assuming they are already added?). Also, the player character having a voice is pretty cool; but are you aiming for the player to be playing as somebody else or themselves? If it's the former, then sounds great. If it's the latter, you might want to give the player some choices on what to say during different dialogue events.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2022
    I like the features of this game (assuming they are already added?). Also, the player character having a voice is pretty cool; but are you aiming for the player to be playing as somebody else or themselves? If it's the former, then sounds great. If it's the latter, you might want to give the player some choices on what to say during different dialogue events.

Not to worry, the character will have different options for dialogue. For example, when fighting the rival for the first time, you can say "Bring it on!", "We aren't supposed to.", or "Lemme think about it." Out of context, I suppose this doesn't make much sense, but in-game, it works pretty well. Thanks for your input!

-TheAncientOmega

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2022
    my real name is actually 'Faris' huh seems fun to have a pokemon region named after you even thought it wasn't meant to. lol.

Faris is an awesome name! To be honest, I kinda pulled the name outta my butt at, like, 3AM. XD

-TheAncientOmega

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2022
    The project sounds great, should be fun playing as an arrogant protagonist. I'll definitely be following this along.

Glad to see so much interest for this! Our boldest hope is that the final product is what everyone is looking forward to, and also a bit off a different Pokemon game.
    -TheAncientOmega

Back