• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fixin The Switch; Topic on Custom Job ideas to improved the Nintendo Switch Design

Years
  • As the title states, this is a topic to discuss what switch owners could do to improve the nintendo switch,
    This is not a 'how to repair' topic.

These are just ideas to improve the switch itself or at least address some flaws that could be worked out.
    Starting with the Nintendo Switch Dock.

These are a HANDFUL of ideas, I would like to hear everyone else's thoughts on their own as well

}[Switch Fan]{
    One of the reported problems with the switch reported was excessive heat; this is to be expected if your playing a game that has a HIGH demand on resources; especially Cellphones if you play a 3D game for 2-4 hours straight on the plane from home to Vacation or otherwise. The charge Dock is nothing more but a HUGE hunk of plastic, so why not fix part of that? There is enough space on the back of the dock that someone could cut into it after some disassembly and attach a PC fan or at least solder a FAN into the tiny motherboard already provided with the cradle A small switch could be provided to turn the fan on-off on the side, turn the fan off during charing and turn the fan on while playing the console on the TV.
    Will this solve the problem?: Probably not, however, it's better than nothing at this moment to keep the console cooled off since the only thing airing it out is a vent and a heat sink

}[Cutting the Fat]{
    The charge dock is nothing move but a huge hunk of plastic with a small chipset to hook the console to an HDMI outlet. People we're having problems with dead pixels, screens and so on with the cradle itself after putting in there to charge.... so, why not cut the part of the console that's damaging the system out? If your afraid the console could fall over and break the input for the HDMI, you still have the back and there's nothing a large rubberband couldn't solve.

Or, if anyone is willing and has the 3D printer to do it, construct the cradle themselves. Gut out the Switch Cradle nintendo has sent, take the chipset, wires and so on and create a cradle where the console just has lean back to stay connected LIKE THE ORIGIONAL Wii U! Screw in the Chipset to the new cradle and maybe we won't have to worry about scratching the screens to our precious $300 consoles... Uses less resources and is more ideal than having a wasteful large hunk of plastic.

Will this solve the problem: Probably? I don't have the resources to make my own, but from teardowns, the switch cradle itself really is nothing more but a giant hunk of plastic; so why not fix the design error screwing things up? That or get a tough as nails screen protector that self heals, like I did.

}[Shell the Nun-chuck]{
    I don't care if it's called a JoyCon, to me, they're pretty much Switch nun-chucks so that's what I'm calling them. If you bought into the console, you'll have noticed your console comes in with straps with shoulder buttons for 2P games, kinda like a future SNES controller. Biggest issue with them? THEY ARE (nearly) IMPOSSIBLE to remove for charging or other uses. This is an intentional design, mostly because of the Wii Mote issues from before hand. The Wii mote slipping out of a careless person's hands and destroying TV's; Same story here with the Switch-Chucks; they're designed that way to keep you from destroying your stuff and the console in general..... They're just a pain in the ass to remove

How do we fix this kind of problem? If you do a search for 'BOSS Shell Wii' on Amazon, you'll find your partial solution. Shell covers for the controllers with the handy button inputs, this is something else we could actually use to replace the slide-why-can't-I-get-it-off straps and make it more functional.... If we knew how the controllers charge, we could add another batter to the shells to extend battery life. A 3rd party company already took advantage of this situation with a 'Grip Kit' which you can still find on Amazon. to play the consoles as such, though my only gripe with it is that the L and R side buttons for 2P play aren't as embedded and it 'could' cause a problem later on down the line if we get into games that rely on the bumper buttons

Will this fix the problem?: A STUPID QUESTION, YES!!! If you own a switch and have had to deal with the straps, you know as well as I do that the things are difficult to get off, regardless of what good intentions there we're behind the design. Either look up a switch grip kit of somehow design your own!!!

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2017
    My favorite Zelda so far is the Spirit Tracks, and I'll tell you why: it improved in all of the aspects of what Phantom Hourglass started, the train sections allowed for some time sightseeing the landscape and some very interesting battle sequences, as well as the delivery quests

Years
  • I've seen two videos so far on Youtube showing that the Switch has a pretty impressive cooling system whether docked or not. If you are interested I can see if I can find those videos, but I can't now since I'm at work. I don't know how widespread the overheating issue is, but I think all consoles have some issues overheating at launch so that's nothing new.

As far as changing anything else about the Switch I don't think I have anything that I would change really. I have been lucky enough to not have any issues with my Switch so far so I'm grateful. I guess the only gripe I have would be that I'd like the Joy-Con to be slightly larger so I could play Mario Kart with just one Joy-Con but I'm pretty sure I will be good with the straps. Now I just need an easy way to take those damn things off because even when you put them on correctly it's tough.

Years
  • I've seen two videos so far on Youtube showing that the Switch has a pretty impressive cooling system whether docked or not. If you are interested I can see if I can find those videos, but I can't now since I'm at work. I don't know how widespread the overheating issue is, but I think all consoles have some issues overheating at launch so that's nothing new.

As far as changing anything else about the Switch I don't think I have anything that I would change really. I have been lucky enough to not have any issues with my Switch so far so I'm grateful. I guess the only gripe I have would be that I'd like the Joy-Con to be slightly larger so I could play Mario Kart with just one Joy-Con but I'm pretty sure I will be good with the straps. Now I just need an easy way to take those damn things off because even when you put them on correctly it's tough.

To be fair, I've only been posting up issues other people have been having more commonly; I've been lucky myself in not having anything go wrong with my console, however I've about had it with the straps. I'm still looking into shells for the Switch-Chucks. Ontop of that; I'm only mentioning the fan thing, because well.... If you look at a teardown on the Switch cradle, it's just a hunk of plastic with some type of chipboard to send video signals to your TV. The rest of the plastic has no use, really.

I kinda wish they would design the cradel with use of resources in mind like they did with the game cube, Wii U and Wii; they made the housings proportionate only to what they needed and had never been wasteful with resources. Same thing with a GBA SP or a GBA; Nintendo DS Lite, Regular DS and 3DS as well. Though I'm only arguing this from a standpoint on use of resources.

Years
  • Nintendo Switches are bending..... Are there any Tech benders from Avatar? XD

Bad jokes aside, is the bending of the main console to be blamed on the cradle and the heat from long hours of game play?

Years
  • I don't see mine bending, but I will definitely have a little fan blowing on mine for when I play during the summer. I heard of this but don't know anyone yet who has experienced it happen. It's probably something to do with heat captured from the dock. I bet having a little fan blowing on it will be enough to make the plastic not get too hot.

Back