• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Fanfic] The New Avatar

shatteredxfrost

i'm writing my own damn story
Years
  • The New Avatar
    "Decades after Avatar Korra's demise, the world lost hope that a new Avatar would be born.
    Akari is a young Earthbender and the last thing she ever wanted was to be the world's last chance.
    "

Hi! shatteredxfrost here. I've been planning, outlining, writing and crying over this story for two years now. I changed the plot, characters and so much more countless times and I think I am finally happy with what I have decided on in terms of background, overall storyline, character development and so on. If you want to read, review or say anything about this story - I would appreciate it!

PG16 for language, romance, violence

Book 1: Air
    Chapter I

Last edited:

shatteredxfrost

i'm writing my own damn story
    Years
  • Chapter I

"Kira, please," I beg my younger sister as I pull on my unlaced, brown leather boot over my pants. "I'm going to be late!" The clock that hangs above our apartment door taunts me. I turn away from Kira as she thrusts three books out towards me, each on the topic of Avatar History, the other dozens of history books are stacked on our coffee table, also littered with a half full tea cup and my brown jacket imported from the Northern Water Tribe.

"But one is missing! How did no one realise this when numbering the books?" I give her a look that conveys how much I really don't care about numbering on a book but she only throws her own incredulous look back at me. "I don't think you understand, Akari!"

I sigh and push her aside gently with the back of my hand in order to grab my jacket. "You're right, I don't. What I do understand is: Roza will hand me my ass if I'm late! You know how much this match means to her."

Pro-Bending was Roza's life and almost a year ago, she had recruited me into a team with her brother. At the time, Kira and I needed the money so I readily accepted. The tournament tonight could secure our spot in the Championships. And I'm late.

"I also don't think anyone has acknowledged that this Avatar is missin-"

"Kira!" I seize her arms after slipping on my jacket. "I love you, I swear I do. But if you don't get out of my way, I will chuck all these damn books out the window."

Kira blinks at me and the panic of her realisation fades from her flushed face. "Oh, sorry. You're right, go! You're going to be late!" She smiles apologetically at me and for a few seconds, I realise just how much she looks like our mother. Her nose is straight and small, thin lips on an oval face. The only similarities we share are our dark brown hair and forest green eyes. I inherited my heart shaped face, button nose and full lips from my father – but I can't be sure, we haven't seen him since he left when we were younger.

I return her smile and rush out the apartment, swinging my messenger bag over my shoulder just as the door shuts behind me.

The darkness of night is fast approaching as I run down the street, only barely missing a satomobile by a hairs length. We don't live far from the pro-bending arena as neither Kira nor I can drive, so being within walking distance was a must when choosing a place to stay. The earth beneath my feet is white hot against my brown boots. I could so easily just bend the rocks to make a slope and run down – however, going to jail the day of the big tournament doesn't sound all too appealing.
    "Hey! Watch it!"

I apologise to the person I almost knocked over and continue racing down the pathway. The arena towers over me now, I am so close. Fans are spread everywhere, chatting excitedly about the match. I remember how I felt listening to a match for the first time while squatting with Kira in an apartment upon arrival into Republic City, my ear pressed up against the wall to hear the neighbour's radio relay the tournament – it had my heart pounding, beyond the words I could hear the cheering.

It was exhilarating to hear how many people were at the arena, watching the battle live, cheering on their favourite team with unconditional love. I remember closing my eyes to better immerse myself into the moment. Kira had been sleeping and I was supposed to be watching over her. I just couldn't help myself.

I come to a sudden stop as a new sound reaches my ears. I gaze up at the arena, my eyes shining. Loud thumping reverberates through the arena and out onto the pavement of the street; it vibrates through the bottom of my boots. They're stamping the ground and clapping in rhythm. One of the only things I love more than the fight itself and applause of the people cheering my team on is how everyone comes together. Pro-bending is something everyone here has in common and we can all forget each other's beliefs, flaws and just bond over the love for this sport.

"'Ey, you're on the White Dragons team, ain't ya?"

My eyes are torn from the arena and my momentary daydream to the man beside me. His kind blue eyes are wrinkled at the sides, his jaw drooping slightly and yellowish teeth show between his smiling lips. I quickly nod and bow my head in greeting, "yes, I am. Are you here for the match?"

"Nah, I'm a sponsor," his hand pats the side of my arm a little harshly before they settle on his hips, chest puffing out proudly.

A sponsor. I blink and quickly regain my composure. "Oh, hello! I'm Akari Li," I thrust my hand out and quickly shift my messenger bag higher on my shoulder as I do so.

He takes my hand and shakes it firmly. "Nice to meet ya', 'Kari."

A jolt rushes through me at the nickname and an image of me, seven years old sitting on my father's lap at our old home in Ba Sing Se comes unbidden to mind.

"Ain't you gonna be late?"

Shit. "Uh, yes! It was nice to meet you," I bow once more and rush off, waving over my shoulder as I speed towards the arena entrance.

The moment I burst through the door, I see my team in the lobby. Roza is talking with an interviewer, a notepad in the reporters' hands. Takeo leans against the staircase that leads down to our teams room with his arms crossed over his chest. As if sensing I was there, he looks to me. Relief breaks over his face.

The siblings look a lot like each other. Both have beautiful blonde hair that falls in waves around their round faces. While Takeo's body is built for combat – he would be perfect for the military – Roza is all about the hips and her curves make me envious on a daily basis. Both have thin lips, a defined nose that isn't too big or too small. Their eye colours are noticeably different. As Roza is a Firebender and Takeo is a Waterbender, their eyes define their elements proudly.

Roza senses her brothers' distraction and her face snaps to mine. She's angry but I see the masked relief in her eyes and she rushes to me, gripping my arms tightly. "There you are! I thought we would have to forfeit."

I smile apologetically, shrugging one shoulder. "Kira held me up."

She nods and pushes me down the stairs. I wave in greeting to Takeo as I pass him and he grins at me. "I told Roza you'd make it."

"At least someone has faith in me," I tease and throw a look at Roza. She pokes her tongue out at me and chucks me my uniform from one of the lockers.

"Ha-ha, just get changed! We're on in less than seven minutes and I have to finish that interview." Roza snaps her fingers towards the uniform in my hands and drags Takeo out of the room with her.

I get dressed in record time; Roza's cheery mood was motivating, of course. The anticipation of the crowd is thick in the air and rolls over me in waves. The lights are all on, signalling that show time is still yet to come. I glance at the small clock hanging above our teams' alcove. Two minutes until the announcer welcomes everyone and that gives our team one minute to get on the elevator operated by Metalbenders.

I stretch my arms above my head, the top of my uniform rides up slightly and cool air hits my bare skin. The main colour of our uniform is an off black with a white dragon brandished on our chests, the spindly tail goes down to our pants and wraps around our left leg. The dragon's mouth is open and is breathing blue fire that spreads over our right shoulder. It is really beautiful and when Roza first showed me the design – slightly intimidating.

The lights dim on cue. Roza returns into the room with Takeo and offers me her first grin of the night and shoves her arm out, fist clenched. I bump my fist into hers reluctantly, rolling my eyes as I do and take my spot on the elevator.

"Welcome, welcome, welcome!" The announcer booms into the microphone.

I look up at the announcer's box and I need to crane my head to see him properly. He's beaming, hand clutched around the microphone and his arm sweeping about dramatically. "Tonight is a very special night indeed... am I right, Republic City?"

The answering cheer would be overwhelming to people watching for the first time. I'm used to it and funnily enough, it makes me relax. People out there are rooting for us, we have fans that love us and want us to win. What could be more relaxing and rewarding than that?

"This match will decide just who – out of these two amazing teams – will be joining the Championships with the Spiny Seal-Lions!" I huff at that. "In our left corner we have the Chilling Catgators!" As the announcer booms the name, a light appears on the opposing team across from us and the Chilling Catgators step from their podium and proudly onto the playing field.

Takeo takes my hand. I don't have time to react as the announcer is ushering us onto the field next, "and on our right: the White Dragons!"

We walk out onto the field and Roza entertains the audience with a flip off the elevator and into zone one. I blanch, she's never done something like that before. How did she even get the momentum to...? I trail off, wondering how I can learn to do that when the announcer shocks me, "it looks like we have love on the battlefield, eh Republic City?" He laughs mercilessly into the microphone and simultaneously, Takeo and I look down at our joined hands.

The crowd is filled with laughter and aw's even some wolf-whistling. We jump apart from each other quickly. Had we really been holding hands that entire time? It was just meant to be encouraging... I want to yell that to the girls that are fanning themselves obnoxiously on the benches.

The bell goes off, signalling for the two teams to get into position. I take my spot on the right, where I feel most comfortable. Takeo is on the far left, close to the water as Roza is in the middle, her arms by her side and hands flexed, ready to Firebend at will.

The Firebender across from me is smirking; his arrogant face fills my vision. You're going off first, buddy.

"Begin!"

The bell dongs again and we're off. I quickly twist, avoiding the jet of fire aimed to me as I move my hands around, picking up the discs and hurling them towards the benders middle. I attempt to ignore his obvious aim for a head shot and keep my mind focused. Roza gets knocked into the second zone and her answering attack has a stream of fire singing past me, my opponent staggers back into the next zone to avoid the shot.

I flip on the spot, my hands punching out and two discs fly into his stomach, knocking him right off the back. Roza and I beam at each other. Momentarily distracted, water hits me right in the chest and I tumble back into zone three. I look up at the female Waterbender who is dusting her hands off, my eyes narrow at her.

Collecting myself, I spin around, my hand punching upwards and a disc complies with my angle, shooting right into the air. It hovers above my head momentarily before I flip again, my leg kicking outwards and the disc flies into the Waterbenders chest, exploding on contact and she, too, is knocked into the third zone. I waste no time over the small victory as she gets up. Even from this distance, I see her eyes flaring in anger.

There are rules in pro-bending that you need to follow if you want to avoid disqualification, it makes the game more difficult. When bending, it's easy to decide how you want to attack an opponent such as right now, but there are restrictions. So when she summons water upwards from behind me, the bell rings out loudly, signalling the end to the round and my teams victory.

Takeo fist pumps the air, turning around to high-five his sister. The crowd goes nuts, cheering and applauding and I vaguely hear my name being chanted. I have used that type of technique before and usually, it works. The idea to get your opponent so mad that they cannot stop themselves has become a signature move of mine; they can't even hear their subconscious reminding them of the rules. It has worked on me twice before where I bent the rules, breaking up the discs into little pieces and even bending discs from their territory. I now use the technique to my advantage.

The Earthbender on the opposing team face palms, twisting around to yell at the Waterbender who looks guiltily at her team mate. She seems to yell an apology and gestures towards me, as if I explain everything. They both look at me then and I bow low, barely containing the arrogant expression on my face as I move to my own team, both of them pulling me into a hug.

Round two.

It starts quickly and I barely have time to get a disc up to protect my head from the stream of water aimed at my face. When it stops, I shoot out quickly, the disc in front going for her legs. As she stumbled, I throw another disc her way which hits her in the shoulder. She is knocked sideways into the second zone.

I have no time to rejoice as fire comes for me. Takeo comes to my rescue; he dives in front of me, bending water in front of us like a protective wall. It only lasts a second as there are rules for how long you can bend water. The fire is quickly evaporated and I bend the disc nearest to him – in my zone – and knock him back, sending him to join his team mate in the second zone.

Roza has already knocked the Earthbender into the water and we are permitted into the Chilling Catgators territory. Takeo goes for the Waterbender as Roza and I team up against the Firebender. Almost immediately, Takeo is knocked off and I am forced back a zone.

The fight continues intensely. Discs are being flung everywhere to avoid the blasts of water. Roza quickly knocks the Firebender into the third zone as I face up against the Waterbender yet again. My opponent summons the water, shooting it at me in quick bursts as I dodge and weave. My heart pounds against my eardrums and I can barely hear the angry shouts of the crowd.

When I'm knocked into the third zone, I take a pause, collecting my breath. That pause was too long as the Waterbender knocks me off the brink and into the water waiting below. Takeo is on the podium, arms crossed and leaning against it. When he sees me surface from the water, he walks to the edge and offers his hand. I take it gratefully.

I hear the aw's and when I look up, the screens that were recently installed four years ago are focused on myself and Takeo. We step back onto the podium and it raises us up.

The lapse of time before the round is over gives me a chance to catch my breath. I lean my arms on the railing, breathing deeply. I can hear a ringing in my ears and I am vaguely aware of Takeo's comforting hand on my back.

Just as we get to the top, Roza flies off the edge of the arena and straight into the water. I sigh as I watch her swim to the surface. We're tied now.

Round three.

Positioned, I lock eyes with the Firebender across from me. Maybe... I can misdirect him? My eyes flicker to the Waterbender swiftly and then back to my opponent. A plan is formed and I wait for the signalling bell.

Ding.

Dodging to the side and running towards Takeo who is face to face with my target, I push off from my feet, flying into the air with a flip. As I come down, I kick two discs into the boundary fences. They ricochet off of the bands, one hitting the Waterbender in the chest and forcing her all the way back into the third zone and my other disc knocks the Firebender down long enough for Takeo to catch what I am doing and Waterbend a stream into the Firebenders chest, forcing him off the edge.

I hear uproar from the crowd, shouting mine and Takeo's name for our team effort. We high-five and grin at each other before leaping to Roza's defence.

With us three against the Earthbender, this shouldn't take too long.

The Earthbender flies several discs at Takeo, forcing him into the third zone. Roza is distracted by her brother, whirling to see if he was pushed off and the Earthbender takes his chance, with a swift kick, a disc flies into her back and knocks her straight into Takeo, forcing the two of them into the water.

I face him, eyes narrowing. He is definitely the best on his team, I decide. Now that the two of us, earth and earth, same elements are facing off, the air gets thicker with the intensity. In the corner of my eyes, I see some people leaning forward, anticipating our next move.

Simultaneously, we both raise discs into the air and push them at each other. We are both in zone one and the contact of the discs hitting each other causes rubble and dust to explode in the air. I look around as the haze blinds me. I desperately fan the offending dust away and am immediately hit with three disks from different angles.
    He must have watched my ricochet earlier. I flatten myself to the floor to avoid being sent back and escape from the smoke and discs. He comes into sight on the edge of the smoke and dust and now I am, too.

Discs are flying everywhere, dust clouds my vision and I'm extremely weakened. When one of my discs catches him off guard, hitting him swiftly in the shoulder, I take a chance. Punching upwards, four discs coming to my aid in the air, I do another flip; all four of my limbs shooting forward and the discs fly to my command. They knock him off the brink as I land hard on my hands and knees.

"Round three goes to the White Dragons! This is it, everyone. Either the White Dragons will be victorious or we will face a tie-breaker!"

Round four.

Tension is in the air and I can hear frustrated screaming from the stands. The ringing has subsided slightly. Takeo looks at me from across the arena and nods to me. I feel like he is trying to tell me something other than 'we can do this'. His eyes flick to the Earthbender. Oh. Right, we need to get him out first. I nod in understanding and look at the seething Firebender across from me.

The bell dongs and I leap to the side; Roza seems to have the same idea as she swiftly switches places with me. The Earthbender doesn't seem fazed but the Firebender does. Roza swiftly knocks her opponent into the second zone as I battle with the Earthbender once more, discs against discs.

Takeo abandons his fight with the Waterbender and jumps to my rescue. In the air, his leg sweeps in an arc over him and pulls water from the grates. It hits the Earthbender square in the chest, knocking him back. I quickly fling a disc to his leg as Roza finishes the attack off with an impressive jet of fire. The Earthbender is out.

As if rehearsed – which it surprisingly isn't – I move to Takeo who bends down, his back in the air and I jump off of him, two discs hovering in front of my raised fists and I punch downwards at the Waterbenders feet. She staggers back to avoid the blow. Takeo swivels around, the jet of water aiming for her chest. It knocks her into the second zone.

Roza rushes to defeat her but as she is about to jump and do a spinning kick, the Waterbender recovers in time to bend water into her stomach. Mid-air, Roza is knocked right back into the water.

I turn to the Firebender to receive a jet of fire. I'm not fast enough as the fire skims across my arm, the material of my top incinerates and a lick of the flame catches my skin. I cry out, falling to my knees. The referee doesn't give warning and the announcer notes my wound, but it isn't enough to cause paramedics to come onto the scene so the game is still in full effect.

I sit there for a moment, blinking through the pain as Takeo defends the attacks aimed at me while I recover.

I hear the Firebender then, laughing at me. This is what I was doing to the Waterbender earlier. Taunting her and it caused her to break the rules. He's trying that on me. I get to my feet, furious that the referee didn't call him out on the attack. When my arms shoot forward, fully intending to deliver at least five discs to his chest – fire bursts from my palms.

Everything stops.

The game. The time. Everything.

Everyone fades away from my eyes as my hands come into focus and the small smoke that gathers from my palms. Did I... surely that wasn't me? I'm no Firebender, this is not possible! Neither of my parents were Firebenders, one was an Earthbender. And even if one was a Firebender, I can't be one. There cannot be two...

Am I...

The referee's voice breaks through the silence. "The Avatar can bend only one element. Start the round over."

I look up at Takeo who looks as shocked as I feel. When Roza walks onto the field behind me, her hand comes to my back and I feel the comforting rub there. I want to beg her to let me go, to just let me go home. But she shakes her head, knowingly. "Get through this game and we can deal with it after."

I visibly deflate at her words. Roza is never one to voice her thoughts, sure she cares and I know she does but it's not often she shows affection, ever. It feels nice to know she is on my side. I nod and get back into position, acutely aware of the whole arena focused on me. I glance up to see the announcer talking to officers of the Metalbending Force. Are they discussing me?

"Well, that was a shocking twist, eh folks?" The announcer laughs awkwardly into the microphone. "Guess we are starting this round over, the Avatar may continue to play as long as she bends Earth only." I hear some people groan, the people that are obviously rooting for the Chilling Catgators. I'm surprised at how few of them there are now.

"Begin!"

The round commences but I'm too lost in my mind, in my own head and hardly notice when I am forced into the second zone until I fall on my knees. I look up as every single bender on the opposing team is aiming for me.

Standing to my feet, I begin to hurl discs by the dozen. I don't care that it is a flurry of them dodging my attacks. I'm livid.

Roza and Takeo are building quite a defence for me, only throwing offensive attacks when they can. I help by doing my ricochet trick, and I manage to get the Waterbender and Firebender off of the brink.

The game is over as Roza takes care of the Earthbender; her jet of fire had him running right off the brink.

The second I step off the elevator and into our alcove, I pause. President Rita is waiting for me with four guards flanking her. To her left is a woman, clearly a part of the Metalbending Police Force. Takeo and Roza stand by my side, shielding me between them. Yet I still felt vulnerable to these people; exposed.

"Avatar Akari," President Rita begins and I wince at the title. Avatar Akari. Is that who I am now?"It appears you made quite a spectacle of yourself tonight." Her tone is accusing, but the smile does not falter from her tight face. Her hair that is fashioned into a bun atop her head with various pins holding it together does not bob the slightest as she bows. "It is a pleasure to meet you."

It doesn't seem like a pleasure.

Something I would have said had my life not just irrevocably changed.

"Is there something you want in particular?" Roza speaks for me, taking a step forward; half shielding me from these people's prying gazes.

"Roza Kwon, isn't it?" President Rita's smile tightens. "Your team put on a wonderful performance tonight and might I be the first to congratulate you on your teams win?"

Roza's jaw ticks as she responds, "thank you."

Normal people would feel honoured to be in the presence of authority such as the President, but I and the Kwon siblings have had our hardships in life – hardships that may have been different if those in charge had chosen differently. This meeting was far from pleasant. That's just what happens when being born into the wrong family. If your family name had no importance, what were you to anyone? Disposable. Cannon fodder. An inconvenience.

My fingers clutch around Roza's arm and I pull her back to my side. President Rita seems to analyse my every move. I raise my eyes to lock with hers. "You want me to come with you," I look at the officer to my right, her head dips towards me and my attention draws back to the President. "Right?" I don't wait for the confirmation, I already know. "Then I have one request."

The President waits patiently.

"Let me go home so I can tell my sister. She's waiting for me and I don't want her to hear from anyone but me-"

The officer steps forward, the cuffs from around her waist in her hands. "I'm afraid that will be impossible. You might run and we cannot afford that."

I flinch away from her as she advances forward with the handcuffs. "I won't! But Kira-" I look to Roza and Takeo fearfully.

Takeo looks between me and the officer. He takes my wrist in his hands, his thumb smoothing over my pulse. "I will let her know, just go with them, don't make a scene." His eyes drop and he smiles, "you're the Avatar now, you have a reputation to uphold."

If anyone else had said those words to me, I might have snapped. I might have just shoved them off me. But he's right.

"I'll go with you, but I will not be handcuffed, understood?"

She seems to disagree with my attitude but lets the cuffs slip back to her waist. "Sure, fine, come with me."

I attempt to follow her out but Takeo's grip keeps me rooted. "Akari, listen to me," he dips his head so his lips are at my ear. "Keep it together; don't let them get to you." I close my eyes. I had been working on my temper, but sometimes I couldn't control it. However, this was a moment where I had to take control. I had no room to fumble and let my emotions get the best of me.

When he releases me, I let the officer lead me out of the arena – but I'm still in uniform and I curse under my breath as the audience start to emerge from the doors. "Crap, can we uh... speed it up?" I ask and move closer so my face is practically pressing into her shoulder.

She reaches out and grabs my arm; with a hard pull, she positions me at the front for all to see. "Time to face the music Avatar."

A satomobile with sirens on top of the hood and the police force insignia brandished on the side stands out to me. I look to the officer for confirmation and she gestures for me to get inside the car. Once unlocked, I pull the door open to the back-seat – the windows are tinted in the back – and hop inside; the officer shuts the door behind me. People rush out of the arena, heads whipping about, searching for someone; me, probably. I lean my forehead against the window. Is this my life from now on? My own mother never noticed me, but now, I have the attention of an entire city.

I look down at my hands that rest limply in my lap. It had to be an accident, right? There is no way I can be the Avatar. Surely I would have noticed sooner – but how could I? Images, flashbacks to when I was a child and not permitted to leave the house for anything, not to go and play with the other children, not for school, nothing appears and it starts to make sense. I was left to practice making dents in the rock walls of our home as form of Earthbending. This isn't some horrible mistake, some misunderstanding – I'm the Avatar.

"Quit your brooding," the officer says as she slips behind the wheel, pulling her seatbelt on. "Honestly, you're the Avatar, anyone else would be ecstatic in your position."

Somehow, I doubt that. I raise my head from the window to nod towards her, locking eyes with hers through the rear-view mirror. "Would you?"

She holds my gaze for a few moments before clicking her tongue and pulling the satomobile out of the lot and onto the busy road.

That's what I thought.

An awful feeling settles into the pit of my stomach. There are going to be a lot of people counting on me. Spirits, not long ago, I was one of the people wondering where the Avatar was to clean up the mess that the Government has made... I thought the Avatar to be a coward, not doing their damned job as protector of this world. Now that responsibility is mine. I have expectations to live up to – people to please, help and defend. And I don't want any of it.

"We're here," the officer announces and steps out of the vehicle. It isn't until she opens my door that I notice the pin on her uniform. She's not an officer. She's the Chief of Police. "Come with me."

We're at City Council. I've only seen it once, when coming inside with Kira to sign documents for my apartment. The suburb we live in allows home-owners as young as 16, so we were lucky to find it with the help of Roza and Takeo. My brows pull together; I wonder what they're doing. Has Takeo told Kira yet? Is she... okay?

"Chief Emiyo," a woman that reminds me quite a lot of President Rita greets, bowing her head low. Her robes are purple, as are her eyes that turn focus to me. "You must be Avatar Akari, I am Chairwoman Juniper. I represent the Waterbenders."

"Hi," I say awkwardly and despite not knowing Emiyo, I stay behind her.

"Has Meelo arrived yet?"

As in... Tenzin's son, Meelo? Councilman Meelo? Avatar Aang's grandson, Meelo? I silently thank Kira's endless rants about Avatar History for this piece of information. At least when I meet him I won't come off as an idiot.

"He is yet to arrive but last I heard he was on his way. Arriving from Air Temple Island does take a while, after all..." Juniper informs Emiyo as they walk into the Council together. I follow a few feet behind, listening to their conversation with disinterest – but I was, just a bit. "We have a room set up for you and the Avatar to... discuss matters."

Discuss matters? It dawns on me a minute too late that I'm to be interrogated. I stop walking, eyes widening when officers from each side of me seize my arms.

"Get her settled, I will be there shortly." Emiyo dismisses us with a wave of her hand.

I'm then escorted into a room that has mirrors set up as walls and frown at my reflection. My brown hair that had been pulled into a side braid is coming undone and I still have ash and dirt on my face from the match. I just found out I'm the Avatar. I deserve to look a little unkempt.

An officer gestures to one of the chairs surrounding a simple metal table and I reluctantly slump into it, my hair falling messily into my green eyes. The two officers say nothing and I briefly wonder where President Rita went. Did she go back to her big fancy home? I don't dwell on it as I simply don't care. I wait with the officers – for what, I don't know but I refuse to open my mouth and put my foot in it.

The door opens and I'm brought out of my thoughts, my attention focusing on Emiyo as she steps through the door, holding five files and slapping them onto the table in front of me. I jump as a picture flies out from one of the files and spins towards me. It's – my mother.

Finally, she looks up at me and I'm taken aback. She's actually beautiful. Jet black hair frame a heart shaped face – huh, like mine – but instead of my button nose, hers is straight and long, but it isn't unattractive. If anything, it gives her character. As if reading my thoughts, she looks down her nose at me and for the third time since being in this room, I find myself frowning.

"Your background, let's learn, shall we?"

I sink down, knowing what I am about to hear.

"Akari Li," Emiyo reads smugly, "Born 236 AG, 17 years of age."

"Family: Father is... unknown." Emiyo narrows her eyes at me before continuing. "Mother: Naoki Li. Sister: Kira Li." Emiyo glances at me, "want to tell me anything before I continue?"

"I did what I had to do to survive." I tell her in a small voice. I am not at all proud of my history, but I had to get out of that place and way from her.

"Run away. Fled home at the age of 16, stole tickets to arrive in Republic City. Upon arrival, have had many criminal offences such as: thieving, breaking and entering, attempted murder-"

"Attempted murder," I echo with a scoff and fold my arms. "Try self-defence."

She cocks a brow at me, "and you don't deny any of the other claims?"

I roll my eyes. Why should I explain myself? She, of all people, does not need to know the stains of my past and just what I went through to get away from a neglectful mother with my younger sister. It was for the both of us, to give us a damn chance to survive.

"I don't expect you to understand," I start and sit up in the chair; I poke the file she has open – mine. "What is in here does not define me. I did what I had to, to survive. For Kira."

Either way, she doesn't seem to be listening as she flicks open another file. Naoki Li. I look away from it. I can't even stand the sight of her. "Want to tell me why you ran away from your mother, Akari?"

No, not particularly.

But if I don't... she might just start reading the file and I don't think I can handle that right now.

"There's nothing to tell. She was neglectful, didn't do anything for herself of for her own two daughters – just because a man left her. How pathetic, right?" I crack a mirthful smile. "He was clearly all that mattered to her. The love from her children wasn't enough, I suppose and I wasn't about to let Kira go another day asking why mother didn't love us." I look at Emiyo who has adopted a sympathetic expression, or as close to one as she can get. "Can you imagine?"

I remember those nights all too well, like they were yesterday. The amount of times I had to fend off sleep just to soothe Kira enough to stop crying. One time was too many. "You can't blame me from taking Kira out of such an awful environment. We lived in the lower ring of Ba Sing Se. Food was difficult getting a hold of when we weren't allowed to leave the house and our mother would disappear every two weeks to shop. And with what income? What father left us? Which wasn't much by the way."

I'm ranting, but I can't stop. My bottled up anger and hatred over that woman has been stored away for years. She couldn't even look at me. Would never tuck me into bed, tell me stories and tell me she loved me. I fist my hair as it becomes loose from its knot that rests above my heart. I did awful things to get away from her, but my actions are justified. Authorities never showed up to take our mother away for neglect, never came to collect Kira and I to go into a new home – but I can't blame them too much. How would they know anyone other than mother even lived in that house?

"I blamed myself for years." I say quietly, eyes hooded as I remember my father's parting words to me. "Until one night... and I knew who was to blame. It was her. She was the reason father left, it wasn't my fault."

Emiyo reaches out and catches my hand that is shaking atop of the picture of my mother. I am dangerously close to crushing it in my fingers. "That's enough, I understand." She twists in her seat to regard one of the other officers but I don't listen, I just glower at the photograph of her staring back at me. She was so full of life in this picture. She's beautiful, just like Kira.

If only she weren't truly a monster.

"Akari, your sister has arrived. Would you like to go see her?" Emiyo speaks to me softly, as if I'm about to break. Maybe I am. The only person I want to see right now is Kira so I stand without another word.

I'm taken through the corridors I was escorted through earlier and back to the lobby. Every person of importance involved in the United Republic Council is present, including President Rita. But my eyes zero in on Kira whom stands beside Juniper. I make a beeline towards her and her eyes widen as I pull her into my arms. She doesn't even hesitate to bring her hands around my back, fingers locking onto my uniform.

"I heard you won," she says into my neck. "Congratulations."

I chuckle through the bubble in my throat. "Thanks, Kira." Tears are threatening to spill, but I refuse to in front of these people.

"Akari?"

I look up and release my sister slowly, staring at the new face. I couldn't pin point him at first but his Airbending clothes gives him away. "Meelo," I say, as Kira gapes at him.

His eyes hold some childlike mischief and his face lifts in a smile as I regard him. I take a deep and encouraging breath as he comes towards me. "Akari," he says again. "I will be your Airbending teacher."

I watch him to see if he's joking but he isn't. I have to learn Airbending as the Avatar, don't I? And Waterbending, Firebending... my eyes close on their own accord until I feel a heavy hand on my shoulder. When I open them, Meelo is nodding at me, giving me a look that clears all my worries if only for awhile.

"Shall we get started?"

Kind of a long chapter, I apologise. If it is too long, I'll split the second chapter in two since it's also over 7,000 words. Also, I'm awful at fight scenes. Sorry!

Last edited:
    Back