• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

i have never competitively battled before. help rate PLZ!

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2012
    Swords Dance Lucario@life orb
    moves: Swords Dance
    Close Combat
    ExtremeSpeed
    crunch
    Inner Focus
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly

Ferrothorn (Fate)
    iron barbs, relaxed @rocky helmet
    spikes
    Leech Seed
    Power Whip
    Thunder Wave/ Protect
    evs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef

hitmontop@Leftovers
    -Rapid Spin
    -Foresight
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge/ rest
    Impish/ Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

Heatran@Air Balloon
    Flash Fire
    252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest / Timid
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
    - stealth rock

Jellicent (Jello) @leftovers
    bold/water absorb
    Recover
    scald
    Taunt
    Will-o-Wisp
    evs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 spe

Volcarona (Vi) @life orb
    timid, flame body
    Moves: Quiver Dance
    Fiery Dance
    Bug Buzz
    Substitute
    evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • First off, don't use Swords Dance and a Choice item on Lucario at once. Choose between setting up, then smashing things or hit hard right off the bat at the cost of being stuck to the same move till you switch. Also, give it Life Orb if you opt for Swords Dance. You can consider Crunch or Ice Punch instead of Stone Edge for Ghosts/Psychics and Gliscor/Dragonite respectively. If you opt for Choice Band, use a 4th offensive attack.

Put in EVs instead of IVs. And most people usually go for IVs of 30-31 (and some, like me, are somewhat lenient on that and go for 20-31).

Use a Bold nature on Jellicent (because its Special Defense is high enough already), Scald instead of Ice Beam and this EV spread: 248 HP/216 Def/44 spe.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Adding to what PlatDude said, you also have a few too many steels. Bronzong's screens role is mainly suited to Hyper Offense (5 sweepers + zong) and when you consider the fact that only two of your Pokemon need screens it doesn't really seem worth it that much. Plus, Explosion has less of a point this generation because it doesn't half the opponent's defense anymore, and it's just... a basic attacking move really. If you wanted to keep Bronzong and cut down on steels, you could give that Stealth Rock, not use Ferrothorn and instead keep using Forretress as it is. But yeah, having four Pokemon weak to fire isn't fun, so you could always skip Bronzong/Ferrothorn, and instead go for Heatran which can absorb fire attacks and use SR, helping Forretress and Lucario, as well as giving you another team spot. Either the offensive or the specially defensive sets work, though as it is I think you'd benefit from another attacker:

Heatran@Air Balloon
    Flash Fire
    252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest / Timid
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
    - Stealth Rock

As for fear of fighting attacks, you've always got Jellicent that can switch into fighting attacks which can always help. To also help with that, and to resist fire too, you could always go with Dragonite, Salamence, or Latios, all of which would resist these things for you and are powerful, so it's up to you as to which you'd personally prefer. Either way, good luck.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2012
    ok i changed some things. I will take out bronzong but i really like ferrothorn/ jellicent combo. Can i replace just bronzong with heatran? or some other fire-resisting pokemon, maybe something with flash fire?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Yeah, replace Bronzong with Heatran (with Forever's current set). Bronzong is pretty much outclassed this generation (by Ferrothorn in particular).

Also, for Ferrothorn, use this EV spread: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef with a Relaxed nature, so it has more balanced bulk on both sides.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2012
    i made those changes, except for ferrothorn's nature because it already was relaxed. is flash cannon a good replacement for stealth rock on heatran?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • i made those changes, except for ferrothorn's nature because it already was relaxed. is flash cannon a good replacement for stealth rock on heatran?

No. Flash Cannon has no noteworthy coverage whatsoever. If you're using Hidden Power (Grass), try Dragon Pulse since it still hits the OU dragons hard.

Also, I think Forever meant Timid when she presented the Heatran set, as opposed to Jolly.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2012
    can i get dragon pulse from soulsilver? (that's where my unfortunately lax heatran is now) if i have to recatch heatran in diamond (i restarted game recently) for better nature i can do that. i might also switch stealth rock from ferrothorn to heatran, and give it gyro ball or something instead. which is a better stealth rock user? ferrothorn or heatran?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • can i get dragon pulse from soulsilver? (that's where my unfortunately lax heatran is now) if i have to recatch heatran in diamond (i restarted game recently) for better nature i can do that. i might also switch stealth rock from ferrothorn to heatran, and give it gyro ball or something instead. which is a better stealth rock user? ferrothorn or heatran?

Yes, you can. One is from Clair after you answer the test in the Dragon's Den. You can get more from the Battle Frontier.

Both Ferrothorn and Heatran are good Stealth Rockers, but it's best to give Ferrothorn Spikes and Heatran Stealth Rock for the sake of consistency. Here's what I mean:

Ferrothorn:
    -Spikes
    -Leech Seed
    -Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
    -Power Whip/Protect
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Heatran:
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
    -Stealth Rock
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2012
    is forretress just a rapid spinner then, with this team? wow this is really a domino effect

ok i decided i am just taking forretress out with bronzong because without spikes it is just a rapid spinner. I was looking up pokemon that can use rapid spin and hitmontop looks good. should i switch it?
    o and i forgot to say this before: both will-o-wisp and scald have possible burning effects

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • is forretress just a rapid spinner then, with this team? wow this is really a domino effect

ok i decided i am just taking forretress out with bronzong because without spikes it is just a rapid spinner. I was looking up pokemon that can use rapid spin and hitmontop looks good. should i switch it?
    o and i forgot to say this before: both will-o-wisp and scald have possible burning effects

Since Forretress and Ferrothorn share the same Fire weakness, you'll have to take out Forretress for Hitmontop; it's actually pretty decent in OU:
    -Rapid Spin
    -Foresight/Toxic
    -Close Combat/Hi Jump Kick
    -Stone Edge/Sucker Punch/Rest
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate

The reason why Jellicent has Scald and Will-o-Wisp is because Scald's burn chance doesn't happen all the time, and Will-o-Wisp has a higher chance of burning the opponent (taking Will-o-Wisp's 75% accuracy and Scald's 30% burn chance into account). If you want, you can either replace Scald with Surf or Will-o-Wisp with Toxic.

Back