• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please rate my first competitive team!

Years
Hello! Thank you for looking! Sorry I can't post sprites of Pokemon because I have a 13 post count rather than 15.

Leavanny
Item: Razor Claw
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: Attack 252 Speed 252/ Sp def 4
Nature: Adamant
- Poison Jab
- Sunny Day
- X-Scissor
- Leaf Blade

Shuckle
Item: Chesto berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: Defense 255 Hp 255
Nature: Relaxed
- Sunny Day
- Sandstorm
- Rest
- Sandstorm

Seismitoad
Item: Toxic Plate
Ability: Poison touch
EVs: Attack 255 Sp Def 255
Nature: Brave
- Poison Jab
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Supersonic

Crobat
Item: Black sludge
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: Sp Attack 255 Speed 255
Nature: Quiet
- Confuse Ray
- Toxic
- Mean Look
- Venoshock

Ampharos
Item: Air Balloon
Ability: Static
EVs: Sp Attack 255 Defense 255
Nature: Modest
- Charge
- Thunderbolt
- Charge Beam
- Confuse ray

Espeon
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: Sp Attack 255 Speed 255
Nature: Quiet
- Morning sun
- Toxic
- Grass Knot
- Psycic

As you may see, my team is to cripple my foes with Toxic! Confuse ray is something I planned for Steel Types, but it usually helps my Crobat beat 1 or 2 Pokemon! i know Leavanny has many weaknesses, but it is my first ev trained Pokemon so I refuse to leave it... it is also a strike first and strike hard Pokemon! I gave Ampharos Air Balloon so it's only weakness, Ground type, wouldn't do anything unless attacked beforehand. Please give me anything I can use to help my team... and Please understand it is my first Ev'd team. Thank you! :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm afraid to say that most of the Pokémon you have here aren't very useful in OU, so expect replacements.

Leavanny is only good in the lower tiers because it can't touch Steels. At all. Unless said Steels also have a type that makes them neutral to one of its STABs, and that still may not be enough. While nearly every single Pokémon gets Toxic, defensive Pokémon make better use of it than offensive ones. Scolipede may be an RU Pokémon, but it sees use in UU or OU because of its better movepool. Heck, even Breloom is better because it hits harder:

Scolipede:
-Spikes
-Megahorn
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide/Toxic Spikes
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Focus Sash/Bug Gem
Ability: Swarm

or
-Swords Dance
-Megahorn
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide/Aqua Tail/Baton Pass
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Swarm

Breloom:
-Low Sweep
-Mach Punch
-Bullet Seed
-Spore/Stone Edge
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Ability: Technician

or
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Seed
-Mach Punch
-Spore
Nature: Adamant/Jolly

or
-Bullet Seed
-Force Palm/Low Sweep
-Stone Edge
-Spore
Item: Choice Scarf

or
-Spore
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Focus Punch
Nature: Impish
EVs: 236 HP/252 Def/20 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal

or
-Spore
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Seed Bomb/Stone Edge/Facade
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 12 HP/252 Atk/244 Spe

Shuckle can't do absolutely anything offensive to the opponent at all and must rely on Toxic for damage. That's not a good thing because it gets stopped by Taunt easily. Its low HP and bad typing also undermine its incredible defenses. Gliscor is better for one reason: Poison Heal:
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Toxic
-Protect/Taunt/Roost
EVs: 248 HP/24 Def/232 Spe

or
-Earthquake
-Taunt/Toxic
-Toxic/Ice Fang/Stealth Rock
-Protect/Roost
EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe

or
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics
-Substitute/Rock Polish
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Item: Flying Gem
Ability: Hyper Cutter/Poison Heal

Seismitoad is outclassed in OU. Its physical movepool is rather pitiful; it even lacks Waterfall. Use Gastrodon instead because it's bulkier and has Storm Drain to take the Water moves Gliscor is weak to:
-Earthquake/Earth Power
-Scald/Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover
Nature: Sassy/Calm
EVs: 252 HP/84 Def/172 SDef
Ability: Storm Drain

or
-Surf
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power (Grass)/Recover
EVs: 124 HP/252 SAtk/132 SDef
Item: Choice Specs/Life Orb
Ability: Storm Drain

A Quiet nature wastes away Crobat's high Speed. While Gliscor can already handle stall, you could use some entry hazards to weaken opponents that switch in. Skarmory or Ferrothorn can do that for you. Also, don't bother with Venoshock ever, since it's too gimmicky:

Skarmory:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Brave Bird/Taunt
Nature: Impish/Careful
EVs: 252 HP/232 Def/24 Spe (Impish) or 252 HP/232 SDef/24 Spe (Careful)
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy

Ferrothorn:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

Ampharos isn't that good because of its bad Speed. Jolteon and Rotom-W are better alternatives because they're faster:

Jolteon:
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Signal Beam
-Hidden Power (Ice)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb

or
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (Ice)
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb

Rotom-W:
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-Wisp
-Pain Split/Hidden Power (Ice)
EVs: 232 HP/56 SAtk/220 Spe

or
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave
-Pain Split
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP/28 SAtk/232 SDef

or
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Trick/Thunderbolt
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Espeon is too defensively weak to use Toxic. That being said, it must always use Magic Bounce as its ability, since this makes it immune to most status moves while reflecting them back at the opponent:
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psychic
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Baton Pass
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce

or
-Calm Mind
-Stored Power
-Hidden Power (Fighting)
-Baton Pass
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Ability: Magic Bounce

Years
Thank you for the Team! You just replace my whole team O.O But those are very good suggestions and I probably will end up using them! Thank you again! I see the flaws ofmy team though I kinda don't agree on Shuckle Crobat and Seismitoad! I use seismitoad for Poiso touch combo'ed with poison jab, Shuckle may be useless against steel but it is a pain to just about everything else when they are badly poisoned and have sandstorm chipping away at them... and Crobat is my Mvp He already has high speed so the calm nature doesnt bother me... My main move with him is Mean look, then confuse ray and i can add fly to replace venoshock so that they can't attack me in the sky while they get poisoned that extra turn. Please reply thanks

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hey Zorua! PlatinumDude mentioned OU, but I want to propose something else to you: Change up a little bit for it to be viable in NeverUsed. :) It's harder to get battles but certainly a lot of fun if you get a chance! These Pokemon are mostly in NU and they can be somewhat useful there, so if you're interested I'll provide a rate more relevant to NU, in case you don't want to have to replace everything.

Seismitoad has to change up a bit. It has great special attack, and no waterfall, so it's better off with Surf so you can abuse the special attacking side. Unfortunately it has the worst possible ability for a Seismitoad! But you can always re-breed it, given that it's been EV'd in the wrong things anyway :x If you give it something like Rain Dance, Sludge Wave, Earth power, and Surf, then you have coverage over almost everything common in NeverUsed, can put rain up, can boost your speed if you grab Swift Swim as the ability (and EV in special attack/speed), and allow Ampharos to abuse Thunder! In terms of Espeon, you want a stalling Pokemon, yeah, Musharna is a better fit given that it has great bulk and Espeon isn't really EV'd right to Toxic stall, sadly. Plus Espeon is OU, and Musharna is NU, which is what the majority of your team is in. You could give Musharna something fun like Thunder Wave/Heal Bell/Psychic/Moonlight and you can make it into a "cleric" (something which can support your team basically, through a variety of ways like healing status etc) and stop strong physical attackers. Ampharos isn't really the greatest but since you want a specially attacking one, instead of going all electric (which means you can't touch ground sadly!) you could go Thunder (thanks to Seismitoad having Rain Dance), Focus Blast, Hidden Power Ice, and Thunderbolt if you'd like. Crobat is interesting, there's nothing really in NU that fits its role, however, there is a fun Pokemon you can abuse. If you have Black 2/White 2, then try to grab a Prankster Liepard - if not, you can ask for someone to trade it in PC's Quick Trade thread. This has Encore/Substitute/Swagger/Foul Play. You can confuse Pokemon with Swagger like you wanted, and when their attack goes up, Foul Play hits even harder so it's a really awesome combo! Also with Prankster it means Substitute/Encore and Swagger will always hit first, and it's fast in general too, often causing people to pull their hair out ;)

I'd continue commenting but I realise this isn't really what you want, and I'm just providing an overall analysis :(

Also, Toxic stall isn't really the most viable. There's other types of stall that fit much better (mostly being hazard stall). This means you use Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes (yesss you can use Toxic Spikes!!) and then Phaze the opponent away (basically, using Whirlwind or Roar) and boom, damage and Toxic Spikes build up. If you wanted to do this, you could use Pokemon like Garbodor, Roselia, and so on for Toxic Spikes/Spikes, Golem, Regirock, Seismitoad (it can SR) and so on for Stealth Rock. It just depends! But yeah, then grab something with whirlwind and roar, or dragon tail even, (to force the opponent out), something that can block rapid spin (which pretty much spins away your hazards, which are stealth rock, etc) - which is a ghost pretty much, as rapid spin is a normal attack, and you can have a fun combination! There's a lot in NU (as found here: http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/nu) so you can check it out whenever you wanna.

The unfortunate thing is that a lot of Pokemon do need changing in competitive, and you should possibly plan out your team on a battling simulator before you actually EV everything, so make sure you're okay. :) It's great that you're starting out competitive battling though, and while the terminology and everything may be confusing, it's easy once you've played for a while! Feel free to check over Battle Center's guides (in the main Battle Center forum) to help you out more in regards to competitive. Also, if you're confused, feel free to head to the PC Battle Server (which isn't working right now, but should in a day or two) and ask for help from any of us more experienced battlers. :3

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thank you for the Team! You just replace my whole team O.O But those are very good suggestions and I probably will end up using them! Thank you again! I see the flaws ofmy team though I kinda don't agree on Shuckle Crobat and Seismitoad! I use seismitoad for Poiso touch combo'ed with poison jab, Shuckle may be useless against steel but it is a pain to just about everything else when they are badly poisoned and have sandstorm chipping away at them... and Crobat is my Mvp He already has high speed so the calm nature doesnt bother me... My main move with him is Mean look, then confuse ray and i can add fly to replace venoshock so that they can't attack me in the sky while they get poisoned that extra turn. Please reply thanks

Even then, Poison Touch is rather unreliable and chancing on Poison isn't good. Also, auto-sandstorm inducers (Tyranitar and Hippowdon; they have the Sand Stream ability to do so) is better than setting up with Sandstorm itself because Sandstorms set up with the move last for 5 turns (8 with Smooth Rock), while sandstorms set up with Sand Stream are permanent, unless the weather is changed, but Sand hinders the rest of the team, bar Seismitoad/Gastrodon. Like I said before, Gastrodon is still better than Seismitoad because of Storm Drain, while Gliscor is better than Shuckle.

Crobat is better off as an alternate stall-breaker; also, Fly is looked down upon competitively because the opponent can always switch in another Pokémon that resists Flying (especially Rock/Steel opponents) to take the attack; therefore, Fly is just as gimmicky as Venoshock. Even then, Crobat is still helpless against Steels:
-Taunt
-Roost
-Brave Bird
-Super Fang/Toxic
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Black Sludge

Edit: you can also try out NU as Nica already pointed out. I'll suggest possible sets later.

Last edited:
Back