• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gold hack: Pokemon: Bright Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
  • I've had this idea a couple of times before,
    because I knew that Gold can bring out much more...

Keep up the awesome work and don't give up on it.

Last edited:

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • This looks pretty nice!
    I actully had this idea a couple of times before,
    because I knew that Gold can bring out much more...

Keep up the awesome work and don't give up on it!

thanks!

update:

with help from IIMarckus, Cooley's Scripting Guide, Tauwasser's Compendium and a post by Blazichu, i have ALMOST got Articuno finished, i just need to sort out flags without causing the character sprite to glitch into letters, and get the refresh to work so Articuno disapears after the battle

once that's sorted there wont be much left to stop me from powering ahead with most of this hack

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    Will you make the legendaries be at a lower level? One thing about legends that isn't as fun is that you sometimes can't get some moves because they skipped it. Some ideas - Make Ho-Oh and Lugia both be level 40 at most, so they retain Aeroblast and Sacred Fire, and maybe start off other legends at low levels to learn their attacks. GSC had a Move Deleter, but not a Move Relearner

Well, unless you count Stadium2 xD

Anyhow, this hack will be awesome, even though it's simple it's still pretty nice. Hope you continue hacking 2nd gen, it's my fave one.

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Nice hack, but Pokémon Bright Gold, at first I thought this was a remake of of Gold, like Zel's Shiny Gold. Maybe you should change the title?

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • Nice hack, but Pokémon Bright Gold, at first I thought this was a remake of of Gold, like Zel's Shiny Gold. Maybe you should change the title?

the reason it WAS White Gold was because it was like White Gold itself - the good look of silver and the value of gold - essentially the best of both :), but then i found out nintendo had copyrights for that name and changed it.
    it is now Bright Gold because i am taking gold and shining it so its at its best :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    What did you think of my idea? XD

Also, you should change some locations too, make pokemon that are hardly available in the original game (Natu, for example) or simply don't appear until they're not really worth using any longer (All Dark type pokemon) appear earlier on. It would give more team variety, most people when going through GSC simply use their starter, catch a Mareep, get legends, etc

Also, will you make trade-evos catchable or something? And make an alternate way of getting Elemental Stones, since it's Gold you can only get one each

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • What did you think of my idea? XD

Also, you should change some locations too, make pokemon that are hardly available in the original game (Natu, for example) or simply don't appear until they're not really worth using any longer (All Dark type pokemon) appear earlier on. It would give more team variety, most people when going through GSC simply use their starter, catch a Mareep, get legends, etc

Also, will you make trade-evos catchable or something? And make an alternate way of getting Elemental Stones, since it's Gold you can only get one each

forgot to say about that in the post yesterday :P
    Hooh and Lugia will both be 40
    Trade evo's will just evolve at a certain level

i will be adding the stones in some other way because i knew of this :)
    i do intend to stick to the 2nd gen because a big thing for me is being able to play it on my phone - which you can only do with GBC games :P
    Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres will be level 50 when they are caught, but they will be in Kanto anyway
    Mewtwo will be 60
    Mew will be 60
    Celebi will be 60

the starters will all be lvl 5 when they're aquired :P

update: Articuno is almost finished, i just need to work out why my refreshing script after the battle isnt working - but i have the flag working without any sprite glitching this time :D

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    Ah, okay. What about swapping locations to make some pokemon more usable?

Also, which Suicune moveset will you use, the original GS one or the one with Crystal edits?

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • Ah, okay. What about swapping locations to make some pokemon more usable?

Also, which Suicune moveset will you use, the original GS one or the one with Crystal edits?

i didnt start scripting long before i started this hack so i wont be editing movesets
    at the mention of crystal, however, i think i'll be using a sprite or two from it (Raikou looks wierd on Gold / Silver)

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    Heh okay. Good luck with it =)

Will you be offering some sort of beta, or just wait for the completed version?

And yeah, Sneasel shouldn't be brown

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • Heh okay. Good luck with it =)

Will you be offering some sort of beta, or just wait for the completed version?

And yeah, Sneasel shouldn't be brown

im thinking of releasing 3 betas then a final

beta1 once i add the legendary events

beta 2 would be once i add more of the elemental stones and fix trade / item+trade evos

beta 3 would be with any changed sprites + Johto starters / Battle Gauntlets added

then it would be the final
    but the final could be subject to an update or two if bugs emerge in it :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    Sounds fun? Where do you plan on putting all the legends?

Here are my ideas, if you don't already have plans

Mewtwo - Remake Unknown Dungeon, even if only a single room, or possibly remake Cinnabar Mansion where he was born.

Mew - Either the truck for lulz, or possibly Cinnabar Mansion, or anywhere really, he could fit into any small cave or something near the water.

Articuno - You already have him

Zapdos - If not by the power plant, I have no idea

Moltres - Cinnabar volcano would be a fun idea

Celebi - Ilex Forest Shrine, if you want you could copy the GS ball script left in Crystal

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • Sounds fun? Where do you plan on putting all the legends?

Here are my ideas, if you don't already have plans

Mewtwo - Remake Unknown Dungeon, even if only a single room, or possibly remake Cinnabar Mansion where he was born.

Mew - Either the truck for lulz, or possibly Cinnabar Mansion, or anywhere really, he could fit into any small cave or something near the water.

Articuno - You already have him

Zapdos - If not by the power plant, I have no idea

Moltres - Cinnabar volcano would be a fun idea

Celebi - Ilex Forest Shrine, if you want you could copy the GS ball script left in Crystal

Moltres on Cinnabar Volcano was something i was considering :)

Zapdos- maybe in the mountains near the powerplant :P - it's active in G/S/C so Zapdos wouldnt stay there XD

Mewtwo- ill just make a 1 floor unknown dungeon, maybe just a maze in a cave :D

Mew- Cinnabar mansion wouldnt really be doable if im using the volcano for Moltres

Celebi - i thought the GS ball thing was a rumour? but if i can i am going to use the forest shrine :) (maybe a flag set when you have 8 badges to trigger the event)

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    Nope, it was present in the Japanese version of Crystal, when you used the mobile adapter thingy. It was translated in the English version, but it wasn't usable because the mobile adapter was never used here. To put it short, they translated it but left it out of the game

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3X2zTiRUO8Q

Anyhow, I don't usually ask but I'm pretty excited, any clue when the first beta will be out? Since you figured out how to get Articuno to work (save running away), the rest of them should be done similarly right?

Also, for the above post, I think putting a flag of having to have all 16 badges would work well, or beaten Ash/Red or something

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • I was wondering maybe you should edit the hero's overworld? It doesn't even
    look like the battle sprite. You also did that with the titlescreen, you made it look more
    like an actual Ho-oh. Good luck! ^^

Last edited:

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • Nope, it was present in the Japanese version of Crystal, when you used the mobile adapter thingy. It was translated in the English version, but it wasn't usable because the mobile adapter was never used here. To put it short, they translated it but left it out of the game

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3X2zTiRUO8Q

Anyhow, I don't usually ask but I'm pretty excited, any clue when the first beta will be out? Since you figured out how to get Articuno to work (save running away), the rest of them should be done similarly right?

Also, for the above post, I think putting a flag of having to have all 16 badges would work well, or beaten Ash/Red or something

i wouldn't give a release date, but after a quick mess about using a copy on my rom and altering the script i found out it is Articuno itself that has the run away thing, along with Zapdos and Moltres. Mewtwo, Mew, and Celebi however, dont seem to do this runaway thing so i may actually get everything done and release a beta with the runaway thing still in there

Well since it's an edit of the current gold, then I think it'll take a few weeks...
    I mean, you're just adding legendaries, new graphics and stuff...

Also I was wondering maybe you should edit the hero's overworld? It doesn't even
    look like the battle sprite. You also did that with the titlescreen, you made it look more
    like an actual Ho-oh. Good luck! ^^

the Hooh on the title screen was just through a palette change :)
    when the game gets a fatal error it reboots in a wierd palette, which shows up a hooh like the 1 on my title screen so when i saw the wierd palette i decided to compare and change the one without the fatal error to show up that :)

im not just adding legendaries, im adding every single pokemon that isnt usually captureable / obtainable - these include trade evos, item+trade evos, pokemon that are only usually in silver, pokemon from RBY only, and all 3 of the johto starters

im not changing the graphics as yet because i still want this to be pokemon gold at heart

Yeah I like the legendary ideas, but maybe you should
    wait for the Mewtwo's appearance maybe when you beat a gym or something,
    because right when you get to the Unown Dungeon wouldn't be very fair.

I really like this idea, keep up the good work!

Unknown Dungeon, asin the one in Cerulean City , not Unown Ruins :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    You didn't answer a question I asked, are you changing general Pokemon locations? Putting Natu or Houndour earlier on in the game would make them worth using. Even Diglett and stuff, normally they only appear late Kanto.

And yeah, the bird has the running thing, I figured it out the first time I tried a Gameshark and encountered one wild. Ah, childhood memories =)

They removed it from Suicune in Crystal (It used to run away in G/S), would that help you compare?

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • You didn't answer a question I asked, are you changing general Pokemon locations? Putting Natu or Houndour earlier on in the game would make them worth using. Even Diglett and stuff, normally they only appear late Kanto.

And yeah, the bird has the running thing, I figured it out the first time I tried a Gameshark and encountered one wild. Ah, childhood memories =)

They removed it from Suicune in Crystal (It used to run away in G/S), would that help you compare?

erm.. im not sure about the moving locations of pokemon in general - i actually made the effort to put all the silver exclusives in their normal habitats :)

and i need to find out where the data for the pokemon themselves is located to fix this :)
    if i find the data for Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Entei, Raikou and Suicune and look for common data

do you think it's worthwhile me meeting the requirements for a thread in the Hacks Showcase at this point?

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    When you put pictures of the new caves the new Pokemon are in (Hopefully they look different like Articuno's looking icy, not just a generic square room), a random event (Your father or something, Ilex Shrine making Celebi appear, Unknown Dungeon opening by reacting to your badges, etc), you might be able to make it in, simply emphasize the new features.

Then it might be good enough =p

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back