• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

(OU) Team Help (Mega Venasaur)

Stroker Ace

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE, BUTTHORN
Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2018
    So far, the idea of balancing speed, longevity, and attack has served me quite well. This team has gotten me to a max of 1422 on the ladder, but often averages out around the 1300s. Right now, I'm trying to find some ways to improve my team so that I can better deal with threats like walls (Def and SPDef boosting Clefariy is particularly tough), faster opponents, and Landorus-T. So far, I feel that adding a few priority moves has helped me quite a bit in some battles. Bearing in mind what I just said, I'd like some opinions and suggestions on what I should add/remove/switch.

Charlie Kimball (Dragonite) @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Extreme Speed
    - Earthquake
    Good ol' Chuckie Daddy is my go-to physical sweeper. Not only does Extreme Speed allow him to deal with Talonflame decently well, but also works well with a DD boost or three. Earthquake helps me take care of Heatran if I can't get Excadrill in safely. Stealth rocks suck, yo.

Sage Karam (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pixilate
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Hyper Voice
    - Heal Bell
    - Protect
    - Wish
    When Sage Karam isn't hitting walls at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, he is often seen doing a decent job taking care of Mega Sableye, another opponent I particularly have difficulty dealing with. That and he also heals my guys, so that's pretty great.

Scott Dixon (Volcarona) @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Flame Body
    EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
    - Quiver Dance
    - Fiery Dance
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    Scotty D is my SA sweeper. After setting up with Quiver Dance, he laughs at special water moves, as well as Scald due to his Lum Berry. Much like Dragonite, my Volcarona uses his Lum Berry to either give an extra turn for another Quiver Dance, or to shrug off RNG screwing in some cases. It's a great idea on paper, but if for some reason his setup and plan ultimately fails, he just becomes a sore loser and is inconsolable for the rest of the day.

Tony Kanaan (Excadrill) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic
    TK just cleans up hazards and is also my best counter against Fairy types. However, due to the fact that his teammates are so dependent on clearing hazards, if he goes down, the rest of the team does with him in many cases. Would like a better alternative.

Max Chilton (Azumarill) @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Huge Power
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Waterfall
    - Aqua Jet
    - Knock Off
    Normally the real Max Chilton is found nowhere near the lead. However, I like to use him in battles to lead. He has pretty good coverage that can hit most things neutrally or quite well, but doesn't like Intimidate or Burns. He pulls his weight, but I can't help but wonder if there's another mon that can do it better.

Will Power (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Synthesis
    The meaning of my team, the inspiration. I really enjoy the fact that William can hold his own against Fire and Ice types (especially you, Weavile, you suck), and having a Pokemon with good recovery and output is the idea that made me pick Dragonite and Volcarona as sweepers in the first place. He's a bit on the slow side, but other than that, the fact that he is the most resilient of my guys makes him a keeper, not to mention he can hit hard (when he wants to).

My playstyle, as you can see, often relies heavily on boosting. This leaves everyone vulnerable at times, and perhaps it may be my team, or my playstyle that needs adjusting, but whatever the case, I wanna hear what you guys have to say about how I can improve and get a consistent 1400 going. I also do not apologize for the copious amount of IndyCar references that will probably go over your head. {XD} {XD} {XD} {XD} {XD}

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Two things that you could do:
    1. Exchange Sylveon with Clefable
    Clefable @ Leftovers
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Moonblast
    - Thunder Wave / Knock Off
    - Soft-Boiled

Gives you Stealth Rock access, a way to take Poison and other Status and thanks to Magic Guard you don't need to worry too much about entry hazards.

2. Switch Azu from AV to CB
    Azumarill @ Choice Band
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Waterfall
    - Aqua Jet
    - Superpower / Knock Off

That way you get a breaker that doesn't rely on a setup. AV Azu isn't all too great right now.

One reason why you have so much trouble is because both your wincons take a lot of damage from Stealth Rock, so maybe you may wanna switch one of them out, as well.

Stroker Ace

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE, BUTTHORN
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2018
    Two things that you could do:
    1. Exchange Sylveon with Clefable
    Clefable @ Leftovers
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Moonblast
    - Thunder Wave / Knock Off
    - Soft-Boiled

Gives you Stealth Rock access, a way to take Poison and other Status and thanks to Magic Guard you don't need to worry too much about entry hazards.

2. Switch Azu from AV to CB
    Azumarill @ Choice Band
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Waterfall
    - Aqua Jet
    - Superpower / Knock Off

That way you get a breaker that doesn't rely on a setup. AV Azu isn't all too great right now.

One reason why you have so much trouble is because both your wincons take a lot of damage from Stealth Rock, so maybe you may wanna switch one of them out, as well.

What do you think is a good replacement for either Dragonite or Volcarona?

Back