• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding New Trainers w/AdvanceTrainer - Flag conflicts?

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2020
    Hi all,

I have been working on my Rom Hack and adding in a bunch of new trainers to one early section of the game. I was looking at a very involved tutorial when I came across another tutorial that went over AdvanceTrainer's option for editing the trainer amount. I've been doing that and so far everything's been fine. I just had the thought that because I haven't expanded the list of flags (or variables either), that the new trainers might be taking over some important flags when they've been defeated. Does anyone know how I can check this or if I'm worrying over nothing?

If adding new trainers this way is the wrong way to do it, is there a list of safe trainer IDs that one can use? I prefer the interface of some of the other trainer editors but AdvanceTrainer is the only one that actually sees past 0x2E6 for the new trainers.

Years
  • Hi all,

I have been working on my Rom Hack and adding in a bunch of new trainers to one early section of the game. I was looking at a very involved tutorial when I came across another tutorial that went over AdvanceTrainer's option for editing the trainer amount. I've been doing that and so far everything's been fine. I just had the thought that because I haven't expanded the list of flags (or variables either), that the new trainers might be taking over some important flags when they've been defeated. Does anyone know how I can check this or if I'm worrying over nothing?

If adding new trainers this way is the wrong way to do it, is there a list of safe trainer IDs that one can use? I prefer the interface of some of the other trainer editors but AdvanceTrainer is the only one that actually sees past 0x2E6 for the new trainers.

I am pretty sure there is no problem with this. Because you can use any flag that isn't in the game. But make sure to make an early backup that has no NEW flags you create.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2020
    Thanks for the advice! No issues so far and I've been making studious backups as I'm sure I'm bound to mess many things up on my way through this!

Back