• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Any online game Dev going on?

gottaspritethemall

Trainee Spriter
Years
Hey guys as the title says I'm wondering if there are any online game developments going on as I'm interested in seeing some created and to play them and potentially help out where I can.

Thanks in advance.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Online games take more to develop for very marginal returns. I know someone's going to interpret this as a challenge, but developing an online fangame is a fool's errand.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
Well I've been working on and off on an online fangame for the past few years.
I've got the foundation and a lot of maps already ( In fact there was even an Essentials MMO kit released about 2 years ago which made use of my scripts )

I have to agree with the above post btw, but running fool's errands is what I do ;)
All I can say at this moment is: It's a lot of work.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Well I've been working on and off on an online fangame for the past few years.
I've got the foundation and a lot of maps already ( In fact there was even an Essentials MMO kit released about 2 years ago which made use of my scripts )

I have to agree with the above post btw, but running fool's errands is what I do ;)
All I can say at this moment is: It's a lot of work.

Hey, as long as you understand what you're getting into :P

All due respect, I wish you luck.

actually the stuff to make an mmo is already done , just not released yet.
https://gumroad.com/l/online-mechanics-for-essentials

That may be so, but also consider how few offline projects see completion. An online layer added on top of that will more likely than not mitigate your progress - unofficial online gaming will often attract c&d's(showdown is an interesting conversation for another day), you have to deal with the logistics of playtesting over multiple machines, and you'll more than likely have a very small if existent player base.

Back