• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Is it legal to use unpulbic game tileset?

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2024
    As I have told, is it legal to use unpublic game tileset? For example, can I use Pkmn SolarLight and LunarDark's tileset. I'll give credit to who has made.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    komaoto said:
    You will have alot of bashing on any thread you make if you use private assets without the permission from the original creators.

I'm fairly confident that if you use assets without permission your game won't be allowed here on PC at all.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Even crediting the original artist or source does not grant you license to use their assets/art/work. They have to expressly give you that license, whether it be something as defined as a Creative Commons or as basic as 'yes, you may use it with credit'. And as noted, PokéCommunity has explicit rules against using assets without that license/express permission. So doing just that would not be a wise idea.

A general suggestion: If a project has assets that you would like to use but there is no indication that said assets are not available to use publicly, just ask the poster. In some cases, sprites are actually available for public use but are just not easily accessible (for example, the original uploader left the scene years ago and the source website is gone). But please make sure not to pester the poster. If they don't answer, take that as a 'no, you don't have permission to use this resource'. Additionally, if a project explicitly details that custom assets are not available for use, don't ask and don't use them. The key is being respectful. For example, I get requests to use some of my old sprites for commercial purposes fairly frequently. I politely point to my license and explain that no, I do not allow commercial usage of my sprites under any circumstances.

Back