• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AMD's new Ryzen CPUs (now you can get AMD's equivalent of i7-6900K for half price!)

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11143...or-under-330-preorder-today-on-sale-march-2nd

Basically, AMD's new processors are looking pretty great in both single and multithreaded performance. What is more interesting is that AMD is basically giving you Intel's thousand-dollar-and-extra "prosumer" CPU for less than half that.

If that doesn't interest you, how about being able to get a proper 8-core, 16-thread processor for what Intel is charging for a 4C/8T?

Ah, and they're all unlocked.

I bet Intel is probably fuming now...

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Hopefully Intel will slash the prices of their i7s. Doubt it, though. The price tag is really appealing but I'm not a fan of AMD's processors. This is tempting though...

Given that Intel has their own chip fab plants, they could easily slash i7 prices if they wanted to. Well, cuts across the board actually.

The issue though is that Intel needs AMD to have a successful and profitable launch to keep them in the cpu market because of antitrust and anti-monopoly laws.

If they wanted to they could cut prices and screw AMD instantly. But in order for Intel to keep their company in one piece, they need AMD to stick around. Which is why they're putting out 2 new CPUs later this year to compete against Ryzen offerings instead of doing drastic cuts on current offering and making Ryzen flop right on launch.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • Given that I'm pretty much an AMD fangirl, this pleases me. I didn't expect them to get back into the game competitively again, and my next build plans pretty much went from low-end Xeon to 8-core Ryzen.

I got a feeling that Intel will lower the price of their i7 parts (and potentially i5 parts as well), but not immediately. Knowing them they would probably make the prices just about even until they make something crazier.

But nonetheless, this is good whether you prefer AMD or Intel.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'll admit, I've been thinking of getting an entire Ryzen kit. The i5-4590 feels a bit stressed out in some games that really need as much clock speed and IPC as it can, and every time I run 7zip jobs on thousands of files totally a few GBs at a time, things just take a long time while the system starts to chug.

The Ryzen 7 processors seem to be just the ticket - and at RM 1599 for the R7 1700 (SRP in Malaysia) it seems to be affordable. Cheaper than the i7-7700K as it costs here by 30, which isn't much, but when it packs almost twice the computing power, and it's easily overclock-able... why not?

If only I didn't have the plans to emigrate.

Yukari

Wait so AMD is making CPUs that aren't total garbage now?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I'm considering a Ryzen build, a upgrade from a 4590 as well, though I'm proably going to wait for the R5 and get the 1500.

Might get a R7 though depending on how quickly I can sell off my current unit. Then again, I suppose I could check around Aliexpress and see if I can snap up a R7 engineering sample at a lower price.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Hmm, I've been thinking which CPU and other stuffs should I get on my future PC, but if AMD's CPU doing pretty fast and matches Intel's performance with lower price (or possibly surpass it), I might consider using AMD soon when I'm building my future PC.

Years
  • Hmm, I've been thinking which CPU and other stuffs should I get on my future PC, but if AMD's CPU doing pretty fast and matches Intel's performance with lower price (or possibly surpass it), I might consider using AMD soon when I'm building my future PC.
    It's not necessarily a "lower price" though, but just a damn fast processor of its capacity at the lowest price possible for its speed.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • I'm on the Intel side right now (i5 4570) but I'm glad AMD is getting really competitive on the market now because it benefits us, consumers.
    I think AMD is gonna give Intel some headaches this time around.

Years
  • Even though AMD is really trying to beef up competition, what's not to say Intel has a counterattack. It may not come in the distant future, but I'm sure they're scrambling to think of something now.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Intel is launching a new i5 processor in response to Ryzen actually, and according to some rumors it's going to have hyperthreading.

Considering that this is going to be a K series cpu, it's a rather odd choice since it'd be pushing against their own i7s. Comes across as cutting off your foot to spite someone elses face.

I guess Ryzen is forcing them to make some odd choices for the short term and, presumably, preemptively. (Referring to the Pentiums this gen featuring HT, and them launching a overclockable i3.)

They're also releasing another i7 model, but this one doesn't look to be anything special. It's just another K chip with a increased clock (.1 ghz increase, BFD right?) out of the box.

It'd be nice to see AMD put out a R1 series later on as a counterpart to Intels Pentium line. I don't think they'd do a 2/4 chip though, but I could see them doing a 3/3 and maybe a 3/6 as the X model using rejects from the R3 and R5 lines.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Intel have had 0 serious competition for years. I don't believe for a minute that Intel don't have their hands on technology miles ahead of what they're giving to consumers now - after all, without competition, why would they have to release their best products to the mass market? If they drip-feed us (as they have been doing), they've got a backlog of more powerful components that they can release whenever they choose. Ryzen may be a challenge to Intel's current generation, but I am absolutely convinced that Intel's next release will easily blow Ryzen away. It'd have made no business sense for Intel to put their best technology into a market with no competition at all; I'm sure they've been prepared for something like Ryzen to come along for a long time.

Back