• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: tutorial to beginning pokémon fangame development.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
tutorial to beginning pok?mon fangame development.

I've gotten permission from the Game Dev moderator to remake one of the section's basic stickied tutorials due to the original being outdated, so I'd really like to write it in the form of an article if given the chance.

the article will focus on game development in RPG Maker XP with a focus on Pokemon Essentials, though it will give descriptions of some of the alternative versions/kits. it will be split up into sections - likely different pages, depending on how doable that is in a wordpress editor - that will focus on Starter Kits, Tile Inserting, Mapping, Eventing, and Scripting, in that order (since that's essentially the order a fangame will need to do it in). it will show several example maps and events, and give a reference list of the most common and sometimes hard to remember scripts and functions in RMXP, such as for receiving items or Pok?mon. Depending on space constraints, I will either give a basic introduction to Ruby, RMXP's programming language, or link to other resources where it can be learned. I'm prioritizing doing all of this in one article, because it's needed to replace a stickied Game Dev thread so having multiple articles/threads is a no-go, so I won't be going particularly in-depth on any topic - I may look into making separate intermediate or advanced tutorials in the future.

this will probably take quite a while to write and create all the examples so it'd be great to hear thoughts before I dive in.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
+1 as well having discussed it earlier. Certainly ambitious so don't be afraid to ask for help/input on how it's going, and it will likely need to be a multiple-page article given the existing tutorial thread you pointed to as a revamp of this.
Depending on space constraints, I will either give a basic introduction to Ruby, RMXP's programming language, or link to other resources where it can be learned.
May be worth doing a basic introduction with a 'check out these resources for more on these subjects' on this part.

Back