Art Studio For visual art, photography, and music! Pokémon related or not, showcase or discuss anything related to the visual or musical arts.

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #51    
Old March 5th, 2011 (12:50 PM).
Silver's Avatar
Silver Silver is offline
Kyle
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: Minnesota
    Age: 25
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    It was hard to get a good focal point when some of the drops were ahead of others. I just set the manual focus on it before I dropped the water, then just went from there! XD
    That's what I was thinking, because it'd be incredibly hard for autofocus to focus correctly in the short amount of time the drops were present.
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #52    
    Old March 8th, 2011 (5:11 AM).
    Captain Fabio's Avatar
    Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Apr 2006
    Location: London, UK
    Age: 28
    Nature: Lax
    Posts: 12,264
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    That's what I was thinking, because it'd be incredibly hard for autofocus to focus correctly in the short amount of time the drops were present.
    I never use AF.
    Well, I use to when I bought the camera, obviously, but I have learnt to use the manual focus; you get much more control and freedom.

    I hope to have more pictures coming in the near future.
    Reply With Quote
      #53    
    Old March 8th, 2011 (3:41 PM).
    Silver's Avatar
    Silver Silver is offline
    Kyle
       
      Join Date: Mar 2004
      Location: Minnesota
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Calm
      Posts: 504
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
      I never use AF.
      Well, I use to when I bought the camera, obviously, but I have learnt to use the manual focus; you get much more control and freedom.

      I hope to have more pictures coming in the near future.
      I'm about half and half manual versus automatic. I use auto when I'm lazy and manual when I want more control and am less lazy.
      Reply With Quote
        #54    
      Old March 8th, 2011 (4:02 PM).
      Captain Fabio's Avatar
      Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Apr 2006
      Location: London, UK
      Age: 28
      Nature: Lax
      Posts: 12,264
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Silver View Post
      I'm about half and half manual versus automatic. I use auto when I'm lazy and manual when I want more control and am less lazy.
      That is fine. We all get like that some days!
      Just keep at it! :3
      Reply With Quote
        #55    
      Old March 8th, 2011 (7:51 PM).
      Silver's Avatar
      Silver Silver is offline
      Kyle
         
        Join Date: Mar 2004
        Location: Minnesota
        Age: 25
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 504
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
        That is fine. We all get like that some days!
        Just keep at it! :3
        Yeah, gotta admit, autofocus is nice. And sometimes I when I'm shooting film, I start to miss it after a while.
        Reply With Quote
          #56    
        Old March 9th, 2011 (5:26 AM).
        Captain Fabio's Avatar
        Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Apr 2006
        Location: London, UK
        Age: 28
        Nature: Lax
        Posts: 12,264
        Of course it is. You can still get lovely pictures from it.
        But, if you use MF, then you get much more satisfaction from a beautiful picture that you have done, all by yourself.
        Reply With Quote
          #57    
        Old March 9th, 2011 (1:11 PM).
        Silver's Avatar
        Silver Silver is offline
        Kyle
           
          Join Date: Mar 2004
          Location: Minnesota
          Age: 25
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Calm
          Posts: 504
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
          Of course it is. You can still get lovely pictures from it.
          But, if you use MF, then you get much more satisfaction from a beautiful picture that you have done, all by yourself.
          I completely agree, it's just sometimes you get the feeling oh, I have this utility, I might as well make use of it.

          And darnit, this conversation has made me want to go shoot when instead I should be studying for exams. Damnit.
          Reply With Quote
            #58    
          Old March 11th, 2011 (12:36 AM).
          s4rg10's Avatar
          s4rg10 s4rg10 is offline
             
            Join Date: Jan 2011
            Location: Johto, Soon Unova
            Age: 30
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Relaxed
            Posts: 68
            Nothing wrong with using AF, so long as you are controlling it and not camera
            __________________
            gotta caught them all

            s4rg10
            Reply With Quote
              #59    
            Old March 11th, 2011 (12:37 AM).
            Kura's Avatar
            Kura Kura is offline
            twitter.com/kuraberryart
               
              Join Date: Sep 2004
              Location: Horsham, UK (orig. Toronto, Canada)
              Age: 27
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Serious
              Posts: 11,014
              I've been using AF too much lately ;_; I gotta manual it up!
              __________________
              ~Yuugiou Fan~
              ~Kamen Rider Fan~
              ♡(´・ω・`)LOVE! ☆
              Reply With Quote
                #60    
              Old March 11th, 2011 (7:00 AM).
              Captain Fabio's Avatar
              Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
              • Crystal Tier
               
              Join Date: Apr 2006
              Location: London, UK
              Age: 28
              Nature: Lax
              Posts: 12,264
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Silver View Post
              I completely agree, it's just sometimes you get the feeling oh, I have this utility, I might as well make use of it.

              And darnit, this conversation has made me want to go shoot when instead I should be studying for exams. Damnit.
              It is true. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with AF.
              Haha, sorrrrrrry!
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by s4rg10 View Post
              Nothing wrong with using AF, so long as you are controlling it and not camera
              No no no, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with AF, I just think you have a lot more control in MF, because you do. I am just use to it now though. It comes with time and practise.
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Kura View Post
              I've been using AF too much lately ;_; I gotta manual it up!
              YAY KURA!
              Awww, well, you don't have too. I just do MF for reasons above.
              Reply With Quote
                #61    
              Old April 19th, 2011 (1:27 AM).
              Captain Fabio's Avatar
              Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
              • Crystal Tier
               
              Join Date: Apr 2006
              Location: London, UK
              Age: 28
              Nature: Lax
              Posts: 12,264
              It's a God damn promise I am starting my photography back up soon! Not long till my exams are over and then, then I can be let loose with my camera! :3
              Reply With Quote
                #62    
              Old May 1st, 2011 (1:49 PM).
              (Sprite!) (Sprite!) is offline
                 
                Join Date: Apr 2011
                Posts: 15
                A lot of these photos are really cool. Others are funny, as well. The vantage point at which you took these pictures really adds to the shots.
                Reply With Quote
                  #63    
                Old May 25th, 2011 (3:24 AM).
                Captain Fabio's Avatar
                Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
                • Crystal Tier
                 
                Join Date: Apr 2006
                Location: London, UK
                Age: 28
                Nature: Lax
                Posts: 12,264
                Got bored last night and started to see what I could do with a pitch black room and a lighter! XD

                Spoiler:


                I know I am not center and there is a slight flame glare but I think it is pretty cool and dark in a sense.
                Reply With Quote
                  #64    
                Old May 25th, 2011 (3:27 AM).
                Overlord Drakow's Avatar
                Overlord Drakow Overlord Drakow is offline
                -CONQUERER
                   
                  Join Date: Oct 2007
                  Location: Down Under
                  Nature: Hasty
                  Posts: 3,655
                  Did you just say dark?

                  It's a decent photo, it looks like the flame is burning one of your fingers though lol.
                  __________________
                  "Power through ambition." - Overlord Drakow
                  The Painist
                  Reply With Quote
                    #65    
                  Old May 25th, 2011 (6:42 AM).
                  Arma's Avatar
                  Arma Arma is online now
                  The Hyena
                  • Silver Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Dec 2009
                  Location: The Hague
                  Age: 24
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Jolly
                  Posts: 1,266
                  Wow, I don't know much of photography, but some of them look really nice. Especially the one with the way traffic.
                  Hope you get some new ones up soon!
                  __________________
                  Reply With Quote
                    #66    
                  Old May 25th, 2011 (8:26 AM). Edited May 28th, 2011 by Captain Fabio.
                  Captain Fabio's Avatar
                  Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Apr 2006
                  Location: London, UK
                  Age: 28
                  Nature: Lax
                  Posts: 12,264
                  Thank you elarmasecreta and Drakow. =]

                  Ok, so I was playing around with my Macro Lens today and produced these two. Note, that the strange focusing was done on purpose. :3

                  Spoiler:

                  Spoiler:


                  I love Macro photography, so fun, but it is tough at times.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #67    
                  Old May 27th, 2011 (3:09 PM). Edited May 27th, 2011 by Captain Fabio.
                  Captain Fabio's Avatar
                  Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Apr 2006
                  Location: London, UK
                  Age: 28
                  Nature: Lax
                  Posts: 12,264
                  Basic macro picture, but I think the lighting and the colour makes is something else.
                  Spoiler:


                  :::EDIT:::

                  Took a new one! XD
                  Spoiler:
                  Reply With Quote
                    #68    
                  Old May 28th, 2011 (4:54 AM).
                  Captain Fabio's Avatar
                  Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Apr 2006
                  Location: London, UK
                  Age: 28
                  Nature: Lax
                  Posts: 12,264
                  I am on fire this weekend! XDD
                  Note, if you don't like bees, I wouldn't look!

                  Spoiler:

                  Spoiler:
                  Reply With Quote
                    #69    
                  Old May 28th, 2011 (5:04 PM).
                  moments.'s Avatar
                  moments. moments. is offline
                  quixotic
                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Jul 2008
                  Location: keyholes
                  Nature: Calm
                  Posts: 3,406
                  Alright, I'm not going to give huge in depth comments for all of the photos, but I can see some trends going on that I can address a couple of photos to each.

                  Firstly, Rip-1.png, bee.jpg and bee2.jpg all are great photos. Good depth of field, nice colours and the focus is nice (bee.jpg seems to be a tad out of focus on the actual bee, but probably just because it moved or something, hard to get a clean, accurate focus). However all these photos have centred focal points. Going by the basic rule of thirds rule which I know you know, these images have either been cropped funny, or you just took them like that. While there is nothing wrong with the photo itself, the placement of the focal points and the composition is the only thing letting it down in my opinion. They just feel a bit weak and don't stand out as much as they could.

                  The next bunch are flower.jpg and tap.jpg. Basically, I think these images are executed nicely, nice colours and beautiful depth of field and accurate focusing, however, I think the composition again is lacking. Both of them just feel sort of boring, mainly because of the framing / how you have actually arranged everything. Firstly, I'd argue that the flower is way too big in the frame and because you have a lot of it included, but the outermost parts outside the frame, it isn't balanced and seeing a macro of just a flower and not showcasing the depth of field too much is nothing special and a little plain...

                  tap.jpg is the same deal, I'd try and get more of the actual tap in the frame so it feels more rounded and balanced. Also, maybe try adding artificial light to brighten parts up and make it a little more exciting. It is a little flat, not in terms of depth, just in elements. It is like background blurred, then tap + water. Try add some foreground or more elements in the background in between the furthest point and the focal.

                  As for book.jpg, I love these kinds of photos, however because yours does not show a quote or line that can stand by itself and remain meaningful, it is quite boring. Yes, technically it is a lovely photo and well shot, but the content is boring and doesn't connect with the viewer. It is like you saw the book open, and just took a photo wherever it was open to. It could have been so much better if you looked for a line to keep in focus that could mean something to the viewer without reading any of the rest of the page / book. Right now it is just foreign and confusing.

                  Hopefully that wasn't too harsh! ;)
                  __________________
                  ✭ ✭ ✭ ✭ ✭ ✭ ✭
                  Reply With Quote
                    #70    
                  Old May 29th, 2011 (3:46 AM). Edited May 29th, 2011 by Captain Fabio.
                  Captain Fabio's Avatar
                  Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Apr 2006
                  Location: London, UK
                  Age: 28
                  Nature: Lax
                  Posts: 12,264
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by moments. View Post
                  Firstly, Rip-1.png, bee.jpg and bee2.jpg all are great photos. Good depth of field, nice colours and the focus is nice (bee.jpg seems to be a tad out of focus on the actual bee, but probably just because it moved or something, hard to get a clean, accurate focus). However all these photos have centred focal points. Going by the basic rule of thirds rule which I know you know, these images have either been cropped funny, or you just took them like that. While there is nothing wrong with the photo itself, the placement of the focal points and the composition is the only thing letting it down in my opinion. They just feel a bit weak and don't stand out as much as they could.
                  Hate to tell you this, but I don't crop photos. So none of these are cropped. The full size of the picture is 5028 x 3364, so that isn't cropped at all; I don't crop my photos.
                  Photobucket reduced the size, but the full sized versions are on my DA: http://alinthea.deviantart.com/
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by moments. View Post
                  The next bunch are flower.jpg and tap.jpg. Basically, I think these images are executed nicely, nice colours and beautiful depth of field and accurate focusing, however, I think the composition again is lacking. Both of them just feel sort of boring, mainly because of the framing / how you have actually arranged everything. Firstly, I'd argue that the flower is way too big in the frame and because you have a lot of it included, but the outermost parts outside the frame, it isn't balanced and seeing a macro of just a flower and not showcasing the depth of field too much is nothing special and a little plain...
                  The reason behind these photos was to take some type of 'stock' photos. They are very simple, very basic, but can be beautiful at the same time.
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by moments. View Post
                  tap.jpg is the same deal, I'd try and get more of the actual tap in the frame so it feels more rounded and balanced. Also, maybe try adding artificial light to brighten parts up and make it a little more exciting. It is a little flat, not in terms of depth, just in elements. It is like background blurred, then tap + water. Try add some foreground or more elements in the background in between the furthest point and the focal.
                  If you mean artificial lighting as a flash gun, then I know. I didn't have it on me because I am at home where it isn't.
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by moments. View Post
                  As for book.jpg, I love these kinds of photos, however because yours does not show a quote or line that can stand by itself and remain meaningful, it is quite boring. Yes, technically it is a lovely photo and well shot, but the content is boring and doesn't connect with the viewer. It is like you saw the book open, and just took a photo wherever it was open to. It could have been so much better if you looked for a line to keep in focus that could mean something to the viewer without reading any of the rest of the page / book. Right now it is just foreign and confusing.
                  I know what you mean, this was the first picture I took with my new macro lens, so it is bound to be worse than the rest.
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by moments. View Post
                  Hopefully that wasn't too harsh!
                  Not at all, thank you for the feedback.
                  I have only just got my new camera and just using the new lens, so these aren't really the most amazing pictures, so I am working on that.

                  Thanks though!
                  Reply With Quote
                    #71    
                  Old June 16th, 2011 (4:34 PM).
                  Captain Fabio's Avatar
                  Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Apr 2006
                  Location: London, UK
                  Age: 28
                  Nature: Lax
                  Posts: 12,264
                  Some new macro photography with a new lens that I got.

                  Leaf Droplets
                  Spoiler:


                  Shades of Green
                  Spoiler:
                  Reply With Quote
                    #72    
                  Old June 24th, 2011 (1:39 PM).
                  seeker's Avatar
                  seeker seeker is offline
                  Electric
                  • Platinum Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Apr 2009
                  Location: Ireland
                  Posts: 10,829
                  I really love the first one Fab, how did you pull off such serious blurring around the edges? I've never seen it so heavy like that.
                  __________________
                  she's the greatest adventure I'll ever know
                  Reply With Quote
                    #73    
                  Old June 24th, 2011 (1:47 PM).
                  Captain Fabio's Avatar
                  Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Apr 2006
                  Location: London, UK
                  Age: 28
                  Nature: Lax
                  Posts: 12,264
                  Like I told you on MSN, but I will repeat it for anyone else.

                  The advantage I have is I have a special Macro lens for my camera and I only use manual focusing to get that harsh depth of field!
                  Reply With Quote
                    #74    
                  Old June 25th, 2011 (6:12 AM).
                  LatiasSoulDew's Avatar
                  LatiasSoulDew LatiasSoulDew is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Feb 2011
                    Gender: Male
                    Posts: 434
                    Wow, they are so great Captain Fabio. If I had to choose one, my favorite is Falling Water, by looking at photos I feel as if the water is moving. Great!! =)
                    __________________
                    Reply With Quote
                      #75    
                    Old June 25th, 2011 (6:31 AM). Edited June 25th, 2011 by Careful With That Axe, Pichu!.
                    Careful With That Axe, Pichu!'s Avatar
                    Careful With That Axe, Pichu! Careful With That Axe, Pichu! is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Jun 2004
                      Location: Santa Isabel, Mexico
                      Age: 26
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Careful
                      Posts: 4,005
                      Wow, you went to Kinkaku-Ji! It's been my dream to visit that place. I take it from the pictures, you went to both Kyoto and Tokyo.

                      I'm off to Japan next semester, and I hope I can take pictures as nice as yours. Is there any way you can provide Exif info on the Faling Water & Shades of Green photos?

                      edit / just read you use a "special" macro lens for the last one, at least. May I know which lens exactly? :)

                      Thanks in advance.
                      __________________
                      虎穴に入らずんば虎子を得ず
                      Reply With Quote
                      Reply

                      Quick Reply

                      Join the conversation!

                      Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                      Create a PokéCommunity Account

                      Sponsored Links
                      Thread Tools

                      Posting Rules
                      You may not post new threads
                      You may not post replies
                      You may not post attachments
                      You may not edit your posts

                      BB code is On
                      Smilies are On
                      [IMG] code is On
                      HTML code is Off

                      Forum Jump


                      All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:06 PM.