• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Bank

Will you be doing the same thing?

• Yeah, I probably would...

Votes: 87 74.4%
  • Nah, I'll stick to breeding instead.

Votes: 30 25.6%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2016
    The new .pkx file format is 232 bytes right?
    3000 x 260 bytes = 696 kb

I know servers cost money but is 696 kb of storage worth spending for*?

------
    *(ignoring the ability to transfer Pokemon from previous Generations)

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    The new .pkx file format is 232 bytes right?
    3000 x 260 bytes = 696 kb

I know servers cost money but is 696 kb of storage worth spending for*?

------
    *(ignoring the ability to transfer Pokemon from previous Generations)

But why would you ignore that? That's basically the reason it exists, saving Pokemon in the cloud is interesting but I don't think anyone really asked for it.

At any rate it's so cheap that I can't imagine it not being worth it. It's honestly a steal.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    I have 30 box and it's already filled with breeds... Still waiting for box for feebas :). 5 bucks a year? Hell yea!

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Well, while I'm not too happy with the idea of DLC in general, I'm not opposed to them (unless they start going out of control, such as $15 FOR A NEW SHIRT IN THE GAME or those DLC horror stories I hear). I mean, if they do it well, it's a way to make themselves some extra money and who doesn't like money? Maybe I'm being too sympathetic with them, but w/e

But yeah, it's not too worthless (the other ~300 Pokémon you can't get in the game, for example) and it's not too outrageously priced (Pokédex 3D Pro, I'm looking at you) so I'm fine with it.

Though I'm not sure if I can add any more recurring expenses though :p But ~41¢/month and a free month isn't that bad, honestly.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2014
    What I want to know is if I can put all the pokes that I want to save on the Pokebank and then restart my game without loosing the Pokebank.
    I love starting a new game and playing through with my favorite pokemon rather than the ones that are available in the regular play through. I hope this is possible.

I really REALLY hope so. If you or anyone tries this and it works, please let me know!

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • But why would you ignore that? That's basically the reason it exists, saving Pokemon in the cloud is interesting but I don't think anyone really asked for it.

At any rate it's so cheap that I can't imagine it not being worth it. It's honestly a steal.

I asked for it. :P

Seriously, back when I was playing Platinum (I think) I was thinking about how cool it would be to have just one huge bank for all the games and not have to deal with the transferring apps anymore.

I really REALLY hope so. If you or anyone tries this and it works, please let me know!

I don't think it will have any effect. The idea is that the bank will work with any game, and thus, there will be nothing tying it to any particular run of any particular game. Resetting the game after moving them all to the bank will likely have no impact on the pokemon in the bank. If it did, that would defeat part of it's intended purpose, no? :P

The one thing I wonder is if they are dropping that HM limitation to the transferring. Until now, pokemon who learned an HM move were not transferable, but HM moves on the maps always required badges so it never made any sense to me as to why they would restrict the transfer of such pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2016
    But why would you ignore that? That's basically the reason it exists, saving Pokemon in the cloud is interesting but I don't think anyone really asked for it.

That's not what I meant. I definitely like cloud storage and I support the ability to backup data on the Pokebank.

700 kb (approx) per head for USD$ 5 is actually a very expensive ratio. That's about USD$ 7.15 per MB. In terms of computer data, it is a very miniscule amount to store on cloud (especially since you would need 3000 Pokemon to reach the limit allocated). That is why I am a bit skeptical of GameFreak's claim that the cost was really that necessary since amounts of less than 1 MB are negligible nowadays. Even if you assume that 10 million people subscribed to the service and every one of them maxed out their limit, that would amount to just 6.5 - 9 TB. (Then again, PKM files tend to be much larger on disk. I am not sure if that influenced their decision.) I tend to believe that GameFreak is looking at Pokebank fees as an extra source of fixed income. I don't see anything wrong with that. The Public Relations department was probably "playing it safe".

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • That's not what I meant. I definitely like cloud storage and I support the ability to backup data on the Pokebank.

700 kb (approx) per head for USD$ 5 is actually a very expensive ratio. That's about USD$ 7.15 per MB. In terms of computer data, it is a very miniscule amount to store on cloud (especially since you would need 3000 Pokemon to reach the limit allocated). That is why I am a bit skeptical of GameFreak's claim that the cost was really that necessary since amounts of less than 1 MB are negligible nowadays. Even if you assume that 10 million people subscribed to the service and every one of them maxed out their limit, that would amount to just 6.5 - 9 TB. (Then again, PKM files tend to be much larger on disk. I am not sure if that influenced their decision.) I tend to believe that GameFreak is looking at Pokebank fees as an extra source of fixed income. I don't see anything wrong with that. The Public Relations department was probably "playing it safe".

There are a lot of factors/features you are ignoring. It's not just a bunch of storage space, it's a full system that includes apps to access, development, security, cheat checking, 24-7 high capacity and speed access, and probably a lot of things even I can't think of. The storage space is likely the smallest portion of the costs.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016

I'm almost positive the banks will be game independent; once the Pokemon are uploaded there is no connection to the save file anymore. Probably the only restrictions might deal with sending them back to generations older than 6, but we'll have to see.

KittenKoder said:
    I asked for it. :p

Seriously, back when I was playing Platinum (I think) I was thinking about how cool it would be to have just one huge bank for all the games and not have to deal with the transferring apps anymore.

Haha, well you were ahead of your time, then :) I never thought of preserving or transferring anyone because they were "unique" to my trainer in the game. I also thought save files lasted forever (DS cards may, but I know I was saddened with what happened to my GB/GBA carts :( ).

Ixeua said:

Oh, I get you. However, you have to realise that it's not just the cost of space.

EDIT: Kitten said everything I was thinking haha

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • I'm almost positive the banks will be game independent; once the Pokemon are uploaded there is no connection to the save file anymore. Probably the only restrictions might deal with sending them back to generations older than 6, but we'll have to see.

Haha, well you were ahead of your time, then :) I never thought of preserving or transferring anyone because they were "unique" to my trainer in the game. I also thought save files lasted forever (DS cards may, but I know I was saddened with what happened to my GB/GBA carts :( ).

Oh, I get you. However, you have to realise that it's not just the cost of space.

EDIT: Kitten said everything I was thinking haha

People often said I was ahead of my time when I was young. But yeah, save files can only last forever if you keep powering the cartridge up once in a while. They do last a long time.

The bank will likely be generation dependent, as in you cannot send from the bank to the previous generation once a new generation is released. But sending too the bank will probably be available for every generation from here on out. One thing I will not miss are those stupid minigame style transfers.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2016
    It's not just a bunch of storage space, it's a full system that includes apps to access, development, security, cheat checking, 24-7 high capacity and speed access, and probably a lot of things even I can't think of.

Cheat checks and security are already a given.

I haven't heard of any apps. That's interesting. Does this mean that GF will finally allow players to look up hidden stats and values without resorting to special 3rd party tools?

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • Cheat checks and security are already a given.

I haven't heard of any apps. That's interesting. Does this mean that GF will finally allow players to look up hidden stats and values without resorting to special 3rd party tools?

Access to the bank will be through an app that's outside of the game, you download it like any 3DS app, then there's the gen 5 Transporter app that is also going to be available. Almost none of the stats are hidden now, there are evaluators and graphs for pretty much everything in X and Y, they just seem to prefer to make it more artistic in how you get the information than just looking at a bunch of numbers.

Cheat checking and security are probably the biggest portion of the costs, those are ongoing and they have to hire a lot of outside help for development of methods to prevent such. The bank app will have to be updated with each new generation, to accommodate the changes in the lists and game software communication. The Transporter may be the standard for transferring pokemon from previous gens, not just for 5 but when gen 7 is released the Transporter may be updated for gen 6 .... and so on. Hard to tell exactly what they'll do with that at this time.

There are a lot of nuances to a service like this that most players can only speculate on, considering how many online services they offer for the games already I'm surprised they haven't started yearly fees yet. The new Global Link system is really awesome, and gives you a lot of information, and even gives you a diary of your game now. With the millions of people who use that every day, the entire dev team at Game Freak is probably bald now. :P

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The one thing I wonder is if they are dropping that HM limitation to the transferring. Until now, pokemon who learned an HM move were not transferable, but HM moves on the maps always required badges so it never made any sense to me as to why they would restrict the transfer of such pokemon.

I was wondering this too. I really hope they remove the HM restriction. Besides not making sense, its really annoying when you're transferring Pokémon and the game's like "Oh, you can't transfer that cuz it knows an HM move herp derp". Which then wastes my time because then I have to go to the move delete, delete the move, THEN transfer it, then re-teach it Waterfall or Fly or whatever. Its a bit more irritating for ones like Surf or Fly, which have always been HMs, and always will be HMs.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2016
    I was wondering this too. I really hope they remove the HM restriction. Besides not making sense, its really annoying when you're transferring Pokémon and the game's like "Oh, you can't transfer that cuz it knows an HM move herp derp". Which then wastes my time because then I have to go to the move delete, delete the move, THEN transfer it, then re-teach it Waterfall or Fly or whatever. Its a bit more irritating for ones like Surf or Fly, which have always been HMs, and always will be HMs.

It's a smart decision to prevent players from possibly getting trapped since some towns/areas are only accessible via HM. If you happen to trade your Pokemon w/ an HM move and have no means of getting another Pokemon that is compatible with the HM, you might get stuck in an area and be forced to restart the game.

Years
  • My biggest concern is the fact that this is too big of a way for hacked pokemon to make their way back so soon. I'm rather enjoying not having so much bull floating around.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It's a smart decision to prevent players from possibly getting trapped since some towns/areas are only accessible via HM. If you happen to trade your Pokemon w/ an HM move and have no means of getting another Pokemon that is compatible with the HM, you might get stuck in an area and be forced to restart the game.
    Oh, I never though of that. It didn't occur to me cuz I thought nobody would ever transfer away their last surfing pokemon. Now I get why they did it.

My biggest concern is the fact that this is too big of a way for hacked pokemon to make their way back so soon. I'm rather enjoying not having so much bull floating around.
    I thought hacked Pokemon couldn't be used in Wifi battles? I was barred from battle a few times in Black/White for having a hacked Pokemon in my party until I deposited it.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • It's a smart decision to prevent players from possibly getting trapped since some towns/areas are only accessible via HM. If you happen to trade your Pokemon w/ an HM move and have no means of getting another Pokemon that is compatible with the HM, you might get stuck in an area and be forced to restart the game.

That almost makes sense, but then not entirely. I don't recall, but aren't transfers to the next game restricted to what's in the PC? If so, then you wouldn't be able to get stuck in an area requiring an HM to access because that pokemon would be in your party and not in the PC. But usually when you're sending pokemon up to the next game, you're pretty much done with the previous one and probably want to restart anyway, to get all the starters or some just enjoy another play through.

I think a warning would be more appropriate because some of the HM moves are viable in combat, but I don't want to use them on any pokemon I plan to transfer now because I don't want to deal with the hassle if it's not allowed to transfer. Personally, I think they should just do away with the HM/TM difference now, keep the label for posterity but get replace the blocks requiring moves to pass with something ... new. But that's only a tiny bit related to this so I digress. I'm probably nitpicking anyway.

Dude492

Hoenn Champion
    Years
  • Anyone going to rage with me if it's glitchy and Buggy? I really don't want to lose my favorite Pokemon from Gen 3 to a Glitch!

.Scream

Professor
    Years
  • I stored all 649 in my Pokemon Black game, including duplicates. X & Y should have no problem expanding for more when Bank arrives. :)

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • That's not what I meant. I definitely like cloud storage and I support the ability to backup data on the Pokebank.

there may be extra features like ingame box menaging, it would be cool (i myself spend 20-30 mins just to free space in the boxes after a successful shiny hunt, and would pay a small fee if they allow meto move a whole box in the cloud)
    More than this, they could allow in-depth pokebank trades (i hate those crappy GTS scams)

Back