• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen 8: Attempt One

Years
  • Made my first foray into SS OU today with... mixed results. A large part of this was just me as a player not being at all familiar with all the new additions and being caught off guard by it, but I'd like to sure up my team as much as I can to cover that. So, here's what I have currently.

Ferrothorn @Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Relaxed Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Gyro Ball
    - Thunder Wave
    - Leech Seed

Ferrothorn does what Ferrothorn does. Sets up Rocks and T-Waves or Seeds the inevitable switch in of something like Corviknight or Cinderace. I went with Gyro Ball as my offensive move to give me something that can hit Fairy types like Grimmsnarl leads. Otherwise it's just a kickass physical wall.

Darmanitan-G @Choice Band
    Ability: Gorilla Tactics
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Flare Blitz
    - Earthquake
    - U-Turn

Darmanitan is one of two likely wincon Pokemon. I opted for Band over Scarf because it already outspeeds most of the meta anyway and the extra power afforded by the Band on top of Gorilla Tactics is ludicrous. I'm open to switching to Scarf though. Icicle Crash makes for a potent STAB move. Blitz is coverage for Steel and other Ice types. EQ is coverage for Rock types. U-Turn is, as always, to gain momentum off a prediction.

Dragapult @Choice Specs
    Ability: Infiltrator
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Shadow Ball
    - Fire Blast
    - U-Turn

Dragapult is the other likely wincon. Kinda reminds me of Koko since Atk is its best stat but it runs better SpA focused sets. Infiltrator is a great ability since it renders Sub/Screens + Dynamax largely redundant. I went with a Timid nature because it lets me Speed tie or outspeed a lot of Scarfers and Specs covers for the power drop you get from that choice. Draco Meteor and Shadow Ball are good STAB options with not a lot that counters them. Fire Blast is for Ferrothorn and Corviknight. U-Turn is for U-Turn.

Toxtricity @Throat Spray
    Ability: Punk Rock
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Overdrive
    - Boomburst
    - Sludge Wave
    - Volt Switch

Toxtricity is primarily here to deal with Toxapex since it's immune to Toxic, absorbs Toxic Spikes and can hit it hard with Overdrive. As an added bonus common mon like Corviknight, Grimmsnarl, Mandibuzz and Gyarados don't appreciate trying to switch into this guy either since he's got pretty good fire power. Overdrive and Sludge Wave are powerful STAB options and Boomburst is a killer pseudo-STAB thanks to Punk Rock. Volt Switch is there because Volt Switch. Some fun Dynamax-related synergy with Rotom-W here too, although it's usually Dragapult that gets maxed. Went with Spray over Specs because I don't want three Choice locked Pokemon.

Corviknight @Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Defog
    - Body Press

Corviknight is a good defensive pivot and serves as my Hazard control since Excadrill would be a liability on this team. Not too much to say here other than I wish I could get Mirror Armour. Body Press punishes setters like Ferrothorn and Gigalith.

Rotom-Wash @Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Discharge
    - Will-o-Wisp

Rotom-W is great for dealing with Cinderace, Excadrill, Pex and Gyarados as well as a few others. It also covers weaknesses on the rest of the team likely. Trick is the most common set atm apparently but I, again, didn't want to risk any extra Choice locking. Wisp really hurts Darmanitan and as an added bonus Wash can tank most things Darm throws at it. Discharge is there for some added power where needed. Can be Dynamaxed when I need something super bulk which also creates some nice synergy by giving Toxtricity Electric Terrain to play in.

It's not perfect I'm sure, I got murdered by a Clangorous Soul Kommo-O at one point and Darm is something I can play around but have trouble outright stopping. Would love some tips.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

If you don't wanna run Specs on Toxtricity another viable option is the new item, Throat Spray, which raises your special attack one stage when using a sound based move(Boomburst and Overdrive). Toxtricity is pretty frail so you probably won't get to make much use of Black Sludge healing anyways.

Overall I think you team looks solid but I don't know enough yet to really critique. I do immediately worry when I see teams that don't have a water immunity because of Dracovish. You have enough things though where you can safely check it but perhaps not completely counter it. Just be cautious of it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 158-186 (44.8 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Years
  • If you don't wanna run Specs on Toxtricity another viable option is the new item, Throat Spray, which raises your special attack one stage when using a sound based move(Boomburst and Overdrive). Toxtricity is pretty frail so you probably won't get to make much use of Black Sludge healing anyways.

Overall I think you team looks solid but I don't know enough yet to really critique. I do immediately worry when I see teams that don't have a water immunity because of Dracovish. You have enough things though where you can safely check it but perhaps not completely counter it. Just be cautious of it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 158-186 (44.8 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Funnily enough, I was just now coming to edit Throat Spray in.
    Fishious Rend is definitely something I'm cautious of, I can mostly deal with it between the bulkier mon thankfully though.

Edit: Throat Spray was a good choice.

Last edited:
    Back