• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Help: Help a new player out

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2018
    Hello everybody. I'm really new to pokemon (1st time playing), and I need help.

So, I thought to myself that Pokèmon Emerald would be the best way to get into the games. I'm playing one on a GBA emulator on my phone (I don't own a GBA, but I'm looking to buy a Nintendo handheld, any of the DS ones. Probably a handheld that has backwards compatibility with older gameboy games)

So, with that aside, I'm gonna ask you. What kind of skills/knowlege does it take to become a good trainer?

I'm currently on my 1st Emerald playtrough, my starter is a Torchic. I'm LVL 13 with it. I don't do much outside of roaming and leveling up my chic, so I wouldn't mind starting over if I did something wrong. I have a few general questions:

-When should I start catching other Pokèmon?
    -What types should I catch and what should I avoid?
    -What should I even be doing in the game other than trying to defeat the four guys at the end?
    -How do I get really good and knowlegable of the game?
    -Lastly, are there any good guides/youtube videos that generally explain Pokèmon stuff to really new players?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate every little bit of help.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    There is, um, something I'm in the middle of writing that I think would probably be of use to you, but it's not ready yet and I'm not sure when it will be ready, so.....

But I can still answer your questions as best I can.

When should I start catching other Pokèmon?
    Whenever you want really. Though in your case you'll want to catch stuff sooner rather than later, as Torchic has a type disadvantage against the first Gym.

What types should I catch and what should I avoid?
    Basically whatever will help you defeat the major opponents in the games and cover all the HMs you need is one good way to look at it.

What should I even be doing in the game other than trying to defeat the four guys at the end?
    Usually there's other stuff in the games for you to do besides get all the badges and defeat the Elite 4. Some are present in all or most of the games, like collecting as many Pokemon as you can, or trying to get a high win streak in the regional Battle Facility. Other things are in only some of the games, such as things like Pokemon Contests (Gen 3 and 4 games only) or PokeStar Studios (B2W2 only), for example.

Some people like to breed and trade Pokemon, others like to engage in competitive battling, while others still like to do challenge runs, etc. You have options, so whatever tickles your fancy.

How do I get really good and knowlegable of the game?
    Look up information on things. Ask questions, no matter how small or stupid the question might seem. But above all, you'll learn a lot simply through experience. It'll take time, but you'll get there.

Regarding Nintendo handhelds.....
    All versions of the Nintendo DS are (iirc) capable of playing Game Boy Advance games in addition to DS games, meaning that you can play Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Black, White, and Black2 and White2 on it (so basically Gens 3 through 5). The Nintendo 3DS is backwards compatible with DS games, so you can play Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Black, White, Black2, White2, X, Y, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon (basically Gen 4-7).

The 3DS also has Red/Blue/Yellow (Gen 1) and Gold/Silver/Crystal (Gen 2) available digitally on the eShop.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2018
    Thanks for helping out @Nah. I'll try to follow your advice. Also, I'm gonna look around for some 3ds consoles, since I'm very uncomfortable using emulation and pirating these things.

Also, I'm interested in your project you're working on. I'd be happy if you let me know when it comes out. Cheers!

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Thanks for helping out @Nah. I'll try to follow your advice. Also, I'm gonna look around for some 3ds consoles, since I'm very uncomfortable using emulation and pirating these things.

Also, I'm interested in your project you're working on. I'd be happy if you let me know when it comes out. Cheers!

Most of what she has is due in large part to me lol, although what I'm knowlegeable on is Generation 1 and 2, although I haven't played Gen 2 in 18 years. Even so I do know a few things regarding Generation 3. Roxanne is the first Gym Leader and she sports Rock Types. Rock Pokémon have a Type advantage over Fire Types so you're going to want to get a Water or Grass Type to counter her since either one counters Rock Type Pokemon(Fighting and Ground also work due to their moves being Super Effective. Just be aware that Ground won't work if Enemy has Levitate ability). Brawly is the 2nd Gym Leader and he specializes in Fighting Types so you might look at Psychic(Ralts is a popular pick), Flying or Ghost Types(they're immune to Fighting Type moves). Watson is the third Gym Leader and he specializes in Electric Types so Ground Type Pokemon would be an ideal pick since they're immune to Electric moves while being Super Effective(especially to those that are part Steel like Magneton). Flannery is up next with Fire Types(hence Ground or Water to douse her spirits). Norman sports Normal Type Pokémon and should be countered with Ghost(immune to Normal moves. Be aware Ghost can't harm Normal though so you'll have to use different move types to deal damage) or Fighting types(Normal lone weakness is Fighting). Winona is next with Flying Types so counter with Electric or Ice(best with latter since she sports an Altaria which is Dragon/Flying, hence you get x4 against it using Ice moves). Tate and Liza specialize in Psychic Types so Dark or Bug should be utilized(Dark in particular since they're immune to Psychic moves while being Super Effective in return) and finally Juan(since you're on Emerald) sports Water Types(Grass or Electric here. Just note he sports a Kingdra(Water/Dragon, hence Dragon is the only Super Effective counter) and Whiscash(part Ground so you must use Grass against it).

Elite Four uses Dark(counter with Fighting/Bug, hence your Blaziken is enough), Ghost(Dark Type is recommended), Ice(Fighting or Steel moves recommended. I wouldn't use Blaziken due to Water disadvantage) and Dragon(Ice x 9000). Champion in Emerald is Wallace(who was 8th Gym Leader in Ruby/Sapphire) and not Steven. Wallace uses Water Pokémon so Electric and Grass win the day here but he has Whiscash and Ludicolo(Water/Grass) so you'll need Bug or Flying to take Ludicolo down.

Last edited:
    Back