• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RU serious?

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    So I decided recently to take a plunge into RU play, a metagame I have no experience with. I put together a team with my core (Banette + Exploud) and then kind of threw together a team around those two. This team could use some tweaking for sure, which is why I'm posting this RMT. For one, while I love Qwilfish, I think it's kind of awful in RU. For a Spikes setter, it's incredibly frail. I kind of want to replace it either with another Spikes setter or a SR setter. I do think Spikes have been more effective than I expected though. I also may want to replace Qwilfish with a Spinner so that I can spin away rocks for Braviary without getting rid of my own rocks/Spikes, while also giving Flygon another attacking option than the somewhat unreliable Earthquake (with so many non-grounded mons). Here are my sets.

Changes made in response to suggestions here in bold

Banette @ Banettite
    Ability: Insomnia
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Destiny Bond
    - Knock Off
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Shadow Sneak

Banette is totally clutch with Prankster Destiny Bond, allowing me to put pressure on offensive threats. Particularly, Banette can switch in on Fighting moves from Hitmonlee and Gallade for Exploud and cripple them with Will-O-Wisp. Banette is also my spinblocker. Knock Off + Shadow Sneak is actually a great combination; for most Pokemon that aren't bulky that take neutral damage from both, Knock Off will usually put them in KO range for Shadow Sneak with some hazard damage. I'm not really looking to replace Banette, unless someone really thinks it would improve my team, because I think Banette serves as a good part of my balanced core to compliment Exploud's strengths and weaknesses.

Exploud @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Scrappy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Boomburst
    - Fire Blast
    - Focus Blast
    - Surf

Exploud is awesome. Even resists like Magneton and Rhyperior don't want to switch into a Boomburst, especially with the threat of super effective coverage moves. Only Registeel and Diancie can really reliably switch into a Boomburst. While Specs Exploud is predictable, most people don't seem to have prepared for it in teambuilding, and will hopelessly try to OHKO Exploud with a neutral hit or switch in a Fighting type to see it stripped of over half its health. Exploud can switch into Ghost moves for Banette. Furthermore, if the Specs get knocked off, Exploud loses a lot of power, but is then free to pick between moves. This has happened to me several times testing this team and it allowed Exploud to plow through the opposing team's physical walls early game then clean up late game with its coverage moves. A Specs Boomburst also reliably deals with Dugtrio on the switch, and my team is rather Dugtrio weak (though that may soon be irrelevant).

Diancie @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
    Brave Nature
    - Heal Bell
    - Moonblast
    - Diamond Storm
    - Explosion

Diancie provides a nice glue for my balanced core. Diancie is able to take on Pokemon like Scrafty, Emboar, Sneasel, Houndoom, Togetic and Absol that can give both Exploud and Banette trouble. Diancie's dual STAB coverage is excellent in RU. This Diancie set is odd, I know, but it can handle contact opponents incredibly well due to Diamond Storm's defense increase, the relative rarity of Steel types in RU and the Rocky Helmet. Explosion is a bit of a gimmick, and I would consider replacing it, but it has come through 1 or 2 times where I would have lost if I couldn't use Explosion late game. Diancie's cleric support has also provided invaluable.

Qwilfish @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Waterfall
    - Thunder Wave

This is where I have the most issues. I like using Spikes because it puts more pressure on Pokemon like Dugtrio, Seismitoad, Rhyperior and Registeel. However, Qwilfish's speed is middling, and its defenses are rather poor. Qwilfish's speed means that Taunt will often come after the opponent uses a status move. Furthermore, Qwilfish's STAB coverage is not great and its attacking stats leave some to be desired. Still, the Spikes-stacking along with a spinblocker and a Defiant user to prevent/discourage Rapid Spin and Defog, respectively. I just wish Qwilfish was a better user of Spikes and had a better matchup against common leads. Perhaps I could give it a Focus Sash to survive Dugtrio's Earthquake and hit back with Waterfall.

Flygon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    Careful Nature
    - Toxic
    - Defog
    - Earthquake
    - Roost

So I wish I could free up a slot for another attacking move on here, because only being able to hit with Earthquake isn't great. But I definitely want to keep EQ so that Flygon can hit Steel-types. Flygon is exceptional at Toxic + Roost stalling in RU due to the shortage of viable Ice and Dragon types in the tier. Diancie pairs well with Flygon to remove the stray Aurorus/Jynx that show up every so often. If I included a spinner on the team and got rid of Defog, I could give Flygon U-Turn, Dragon Tail, Draco Meteor or Fire Blat. Let me know what you think. I definitely don't want to give Braviary Defog though, since it's weak to Stealth Rock and has no room for it on its set.

Braviary @ Leftovers
    Ability: Defiant
    Careful Nature
    - Bulk Up
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Substitute

Interestingly, if I can get a burn or poison on Quagsire, this set can beat Quagsire clean through Unaware. If I've set up before KO'ing Quagsire, Braviary can take on a lot of threats with boosted Defense and Attack. After a few boosts, Braviary can survive some super effective hits from Aerodactyl, and Aerodactyl can't take a boosted Brave Bird if it has too much prior damage despite resisting it. A boosted Braviary can plow through all of RU's special walls-- Slowking, Sigilyph, etc. I just have to make sure Pokemon like Rhyperior, Registeel, Uxie, etc., are appropriately dealt with. Fortunately, I do have some answers to these Pokemon on my team: Banette can cripple the former two with Will-O-Wisp and hit Uxie with Knock Off and Shadow Sneak; they can't reliably switch into Exploud; Flygon can use Toxic on Rhyperior and Uxie and hit Registeel and Rhyperior for super effective STAB damage.

Let me know what you think and what changes I should make.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Wait why max attack on Qwilfish?

Ah yes Qwilfish was the one I added on at the last minute, and I thought giving it max Attack might give it a way to punish a Dugtrio switch-in. But I guess without Focus Sash, Qwilfish doesn't stand a chance at surviving Dugtrio's Earthquake should Dugtrio get to switch in. Do you think I should invest more in Speed and give it Jolly, or give it a defensive nature?

Years
    • Online now
    Well, run some calcs first:
    0 Atk Qwilfish Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 284-336 (134.5 - 159.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So it turns out you don't need any attack investment to punish a Dugtrio switch-in. I would go defensive, maybe run T-Wave or something (Poison Jab is still okay, I guess). You should probably run some speed too.

Smogon says this:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Well, run some calcs first:
    0 Atk Qwilfish Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 284-336 (134.5 - 159.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So it turns out you don't need any attack investment to punish a Dugtrio switch-in. I would go defensive, maybe run T-Wave or something (Poison Jab is still okay, I guess). You should probably run some speed too.

Smogon says this:
    Spoiler:
    I actually moved things around a bit. This is my Qwilfish set now:

Qwilfish @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Waterfall
    - Thunder Wave

The Defense boost really has made a difference for longevity so far, and Qwilfish has still been able to put offensive pressure on Pokemon like Diancie with Waterfall. Thunder Wave has been much more useful at giving Qwilfish extra opportunities to stack up Spikes.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Diance's Speed is horrible anyway, so why not use a Brave nature to avoid wasting away its good Defense?

Back