• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blue hack: Pokémon Blue with Japanese Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
When Pokémon first came out in Japan, they were known as Pokémon Red & Green. Several months later, the first third version came out, called Pokémon Blue. In the Japanese Pokémon Blue, the sprites were different, the wild Pokémon were changed, the in-game trades were changed, the Cerulean Cave layout was changed, and the tileset graphics were changed. When they decided to localize Pokémon, rather than translating Pokemon Red & Green, they decided to translate Pokémon Blue, and keep the graphics of Pokémon Blue, but use the wild Pokémon and in-game trades from Pokémon Red & Green. Do you know what this means? Not very many people know what Kanto originally looked like! And I'm not talking about Pokémon Red & Blue that you've all played, I'm talking about the original originals!

Did that not make sense? Well, imagine it like this: Let's pretend Pokémon Diamond & Pearl was never released in America, and Pokémon Platinum already came out in Japan. Then let's pretend they finally decide to release Pokémon Diamond & Pearl in America, so they take Pokémon Platinum, change the wild Pokémon to the Diamond/Pearl ones, and then release it as Diamond & Pearl, even though it's actually Platinum. That's exactly what happened in Gen I!

Believe it or not, my first Pokémon game was the Japanese Red & Green versions. Not going to explain why or how, but anyways, when I got the English Red & Blue, I was kinda confused as to why the graphics are so different.

On the left side is what the Japanese Pokémon Blue, and the International Pokémon Red & Blue looks like, on the right side is what the Japanese Pokémon Red & Green looks like.
screenomq.png

I made this a few months ago, but anyways, here's a patch for Pokémon Blue that will make the graphics look like Pokémon Red & Green. The Pokémon sprites have not been changed! I recommend playing through it just once, so you should know how Kanto originally looked like (I have not changed Cerulean Cave back though).

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
It seems pretty tough to tell the difference between the graphics, but I guess this is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back