• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the hardest game in the main series??

DmitritheDitto

Ditto Fanclub
Years
  • Heh. Difficult Pokemon games. Alright, I'll play along.

I'm going to sound terrible, but...Red/Blue/Yellow. Seriously, go back and play them now, all these years later, coming off the 3DS titles...or even the DS titles. They've not aged well at all. Red/Blue slightly more than Yellow, given that Yellow gives you all three starters...although you also start with Pikachu, so if you don't know where everything is, or what learns what at what level, the first Gym is going to stonewall (haha) you.

Pretty much every Pokemon title from Gen III onwards spoils you shamelessly with significantly enhanced gameplay mechanics, a lot of hand-holding and signposts about where you need to go next, a wider variety of Pokemon along the routes, etc. Recently it's also been forcing gift Pokemon onto you and shoving you down linear routes to the next challenge with all the subtlety of a speeding locomotive. You can't not know what you're doing in new Pokemon titles, with everyone going out of their way to tell you...and roadblocks reminding you if you forget.

How was Gen 1 difficult?I just started it two days ago and I'm on my fifth badge,my nidoking knows Trash,Poison sting,Horn Drill and Horn Attack.I ran through the first 5 Gyms with just a Nidoking.Granted I have noting to deal with ghost types it's still pretty easy.All my other Pokemon are below lvl 20 excluding nidoking which is 50.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    I guess it all depends which team you use. I think the hardest game I've played (I've played all generations except 4) was Yellow but that's because I decided to complete the rocket storyline after the cascade badge. Also, because I kept Pikachu but none of the other starters, that little troll rat was definitely a handicap and I found the elite 4 punishingly difficult. But usually I'm fine with everything until I try the postgame tournaments and then I get wrecked.

Years
  • Diamond/Pearl. While replaying through Diamond, I beat every single trainer I could, went to every side location, fought in the double-battle restaurant everyday, and I still was awfully underleveled during the league. My strongest Pokémon was 15 levels under Cynthia's strongest. I still managed to beat her by stalling her with my Bronzong, I'm pretty lucky I had it.

Cynthia and the Elite Four had probably the largest level jump here, so if you didn't grind you'd lose a lot. This may be why the levels on their teams were lowered in Platinum, but still kept to being a challenge by overhauling their teams with better Pokemon.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • As much as I love Platnium and respect it's difficulty, depending how you play Yellow, it's certainly a challenge.

First off, you're stuck with Pikachu, all due respect to Pikachu but it's definitely not the greatest and you can't evolve your Pikachu nor put it in the PC, making one whole slot in your team useless. Also, as games progress, more detail gets put in the graphics and improvement in the plot points. The simple classic graphics in Yellow are charming yet confusing due to the lack of detail, giving a more general idea to the player which can be hard to catch on if they aren't used to said graphics. + The newer games seem to remind you what's going on, in Yellow, if you forgot what you were doing in certain areas, it would take you some time to retrace your steps.

Years
  • I'm a casual player and didn't play anything until X/Y, but I'd have to say that S/M had to be the harder of the games, especially when I had to stop and grind my team because I realized that the next Trial was too high in level. The Ultra Beasts almost murdered me, even if I was twenty levels higher. I had trouble with Lusamine's battle at the end, even if I had a type advantage. The Pokemon League, in comparison, wasn't that hard, since I had a balanced team. Even Kukui, and he was supposed to be the best trainer in the game.

Years
  • Probably HeartGold and SoulSilver. That post game can realllly be a killer.

I definitely agree, since Blue was like murdering my team and I had to bring my Swampert from Ruby to help out. Still haven't challenged Red yet, and that's likely because the low levels of the wild Pokemon will make me easily lose motivation to grind levels.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Hardest game for me was Platinum, as there were some pretty difficult battles in this game such as the 3rd gym battle (vs Fantina) and the first and final Cyrus battles. The other games weren't quite as difficult in my opinion.

Back