• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Eventing Question] Losing Battles?

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2022
    I want to make a battle that is nearly impossible for the player to win. I watched Thundaga's video on scripted losses, but it doesn't work with cutscenes as it requires the comments and those don't seem to work after the cutscene I have...

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, I'm sure you will be happy to hear that those comments to create the event are actually optional. While super convinient to set up the framework of a battle event, once you playtest in Debug mode, it converts those comments into real code. After that point, you can delete the comments and build the rest of your event hassle-free.

If you look at the example maps, you'll find that both Gym Leader Brock and the rival battle on Route 3 lack battle definition comments.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2022
    I want to make a battle that is nearly impossible for the player to win. I watched Thundaga's video on scripted losses, but it doesn't work with cutscenes as it requires the comments and those don't seem to work after the cutscene I have...

So just to clarify are you having trouble making a battle that the player can't win? Or are you having trouble making the parts that happen after the player loses?

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2022
    Well, I'm sure you will be happy to hear that those comments to create the event are actually optional. While super convinient to set up the framework of a battle event, once you playtest in Debug mode, it converts those comments into real code. After that point, you can delete the comments and build the rest of your event hassle-free.

If you look at the example maps, you'll find that both Gym Leader Brock and the rival battle on Route 3 lack battle definition comments.

Thank you! I didn't know this and it is extremely useful!

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2022
    So just to clarify are you having trouble making a battle that the player can't win? Or are you having trouble making the parts that happen after the player loses?

I was having trouble with having the game not send you back to a PokeCenter when lost. I thought I needed the comments, but it turns out that I don't have to use them according to the reply above.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2022
    I was having trouble with having the game not send you back to a PokeCenter when lost. I thought I needed the comments, but it turns out that I don't have to use them according to the reply above.

Yeah you just set the parameter to true at the end of the conditional branch for whether or not the battle continues after losing. There's a much more specific description on the wiki I use all the time because it's hard to remember the exact order of things.

Back