• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen A thorough review of Pokemon Red and Blue

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Hi all,
    Apologies if this isn't the right place to post this (or if it isn't allowed – let me know and I'll delete it). I just posted a thorough review of Pokemon Red and Blue on YouTube (I'm new to it) and was wondering if any one was free to give me any feedback on it. I'm usually quite a harsh critic on myself so there's some things I'm unhappy with but I wanted to get the opinion of regular pokemon fans. It took quite a while to do and I am looking to get better. My channel is Alec Azzam and the video title is 'A Thorough Review of Pokemon Red and Blue'. Thank you for your time!

Alec Azzam

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi all,
    Apologies if this isn't the right place to post this (or if it isn't allowed – let me know and I'll delete it). I just posted a thorough review of Pokemon Red and Blue on YouTube (I'm new to it) and was wondering if any one was free to give me any feedback on it. I'm usually quite a harsh critic on myself so there's some things I'm unhappy with but I wanted to get the opinion of regular pokemon fans. It took quite a while to do and I am looking to get better. My channel is Alec Azzam and the video title is 'A Thorough Review of Pokemon Red and Blue'. Thank you for your time!

Alec Azzam
    Previous Gens would be the best place for this, but we also greatly prefer that people embed their YouTube videos into their posts here instead of asking people to directly visit their channel. Nothing wrong with a genuine request for critique, it's just that most of the time people who ask others to go off-site for something like this are just looking for clicks/views and not attempting to engage with others--are just advertising themselves really.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Watching it now. Here is my feedback.

1 - You have a good voice. Your dictation is easy to follow without being too slow or too fast. Intonation is professional and neither boring nor dragging. You have no idea how many video essays make me click off the second I hear a grating, muffled, or unintelligible voice. Only criticism is that you occasionally smack your lips; not sure if that's conscious or not.

2 - A an hour-long review video really benefits from having video chapters. You should add a chapter for each area you cover. This lets me digest the video in chunks at different times. I might listen to the World Building section while driving to work, then watch Gameplay Mechanics during my lunch break. Additionally, as a rom hacker, I'd like to be able to easily revisit one of your topics later should I ever be working on something and go "Oh wait, didn't Alec Azzam say something interesting about that?"

3 - I like how you sum up with a list of discrete positives and negatives. Particularly I like how they are reasonable comparisons to its contemporaries and not "this is negative because modern AAA games do it better".

4 - Avoid removing the text before you are done speaking.

5 - With regard to the "accuracy" of the sprites. The sprites are what came first; the sprites from Green Version to be exact. I wasn't like how we expect where game artwork is generated based on detailed concept designs. They did the opposite where they made and gradually refined the sprites, and then Ken Sugimori's artwork and the anime designs were based off of these.

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Thanks for letting me know, Nah!

@ jojobear 13, thank you so much for that feedback!! That is so incredibly helpful! I'm still working on my editing skills so with time I'm hoping to improve in that area. Excellent point about the sprites. I try to be thorough but not surprised I missed something. That's a neat bit of info. Thank you!!!!!!!

Back