• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Minimumalist game

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    My son is seven. He can't handle making all that setting need for a RPG Maker XP game using Pokemon Essentials. Is there a minimal game that he can try?

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I mean something as small as one map that has the elements for a game story.

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    Kids can surprise you. Has he tried and failed at RPG Maker XP? Did you try helping him when he has problems? Maybe you could make a simple single map in RPG Maker for him, and just let him mess with one or two settings.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    He has put some tiles on a map and put some wild pokemon or put them in his team. i I don't how to do it more than are layers and tile properties and you can access the debug menu in the game by f9. I am not interested in making these games and the help is a bit awkward. I want to manage his expectations back to something he might be able to do. Pokemon Essentials 20 is straight broken in parts like Professor Oak- you can't go and I won't talk to you. I tried on Advance Map before and I couldn't figure it out- such as what do the tileset numbers mean? How do computers work? Surely they are events but none is listed on the Pokemon Fire ROM map.

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    Is English your first language? Your writing is a little stilted and difficult to understand. There are a number of tutorials on the website. If Pokemon Essentials is broken then I recommend hack tools or the disassembly. Tileset numbers are just numbers to distinguish different tilesets from one another, they're nothing special. What exactly are you trying to do? Just make a map look slightly different with a couple scripts? It sounds like he already knows how to alter tiles and wild pokemon, you can do a fair bit with that.

How do computers work? Oof. That's a big question that honestly isn't very relevant for hacking since nobody programs in binary these days. Or, wait, you mean the computers inside the game? The easiest way to hack is to just open up existing maps and look and see how they do it, and remember that there aren't just events visibly on the map, but also 'on load' header scripts. However I vaguely remember you can manually add PC 'visible' script events too; it's been a long time tho'. If you start with an existing base, then you don't need to add any PCs, there will be plenty of pokemon centers and there's honestly no good reason to mess with a pokemon center for a first hack as existing ones work fine.

I started coding without any help from my parents when I was just a couple years older than him. Encourage him to study hard so he can do things like understand tutorials by himself, and let him know it may take years before he's good enough to do everything other hackers can do, so the best thing to do is to be inquisitive and patient at trying different things and seeing what does and doesn't work, and in carefully searching through tutorials for information. Tell him that for a first hack he may need to settle with altering pokemon, text, minor map edits and trainer parties, a lot of people do, but if he gets good at coding, then he can use the disassembly and change almost anything about the game.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Pokemon Essentials is broken
    - I didn't say that it is straight out broken rather straight from the box it looks like you have to code some basic interactions. It is a lot to do and he doesn't have a lot of time and the needed focus for doing it such as there is school and after school programme. There is lots of games to play/Youtube and toys to play with/drawing and writing. I can't get him to write down the Youtube derived solutions to problems for the online Pokemon games.
    Tileset numbers are just numbers
    - yes but what does the numbers express about what they contain.

I was a bit sloppy with writing my post.

My child just makes himself a god in the debug run of the Pokemon Essentials game by giving himself legendary pokemon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Update. Mummy banned him from playing games for a short time so we wrote the code for setting up the starter pokemon- He choose Ditto Level 15, Mewtwo Level 47 and Mew Level 2. He had me write an event in response to choosing Mew, having Professor Oak say Choose Mewtwo. Personally I say no chance he will ever write a game that anyone who is the slightest bit serious will ever want to play.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    A ban for the rest of the night. The problem is he has no understanding of stories and character arcs and nothing I do gets anything like that to him.

Back