• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Salt Crystal (version 1.0)

Prof_Oatfield

Prof. Oatfield
Years
  • Hello all,

I have been working on a ROM hack of Pokémon Crystal that mostly focuses on changes to the original battle mechanics. I have mentioned this hack here and in other media by the codename Crystal 50.

Main Features

Battle

• Known bugs from the original Crystal version have been fixed.
    • All Pokémon play with lv. 50 stats, at all times.
    • Mechanics mostly on par with generation 8 (SwSh, BDSP, PLA): Physical/Special split; Fairy type; updated Power and Accuracy; etc..
    • Irrelevant moves, or moves that were deprecated in generation 8, were removed in favor of more useful moves.
    • DVs and EVs were removed from stat calculation; instead, a slightly less impactful bonus to stats is granted via level up.
    • Badge stat boosts were removed from the game.
    • Stat levels range from -1 to +1 and have a duration in turns, after which they expire.
    • Similar to Pokémon Legends: Arceus, status moves that boost or hinder stats affect both offensive and defensive stats.
    • PP: is now a single pool of Energy/Mana/Stamina for all moves; the maximum amount varies per species, based on Base Stats. PP is fully restored at the end of a battle.
    • Poison: in addition to damage, drains a tiny amount of PP every turn.
    • Sleep: lasts between 2 and 3 turns; taking damage wakes the sleeping Pokémon sooner; restores PP every turn.
    • Freeze: lasts between 2 and 3 turns; taking damage thaws the frozen Pokémon sooner; grants a boost to the defenses of the frozen Pokémon (similar to Reflect and Light Screen); ends under harsh sunlight.
    • Flinching: can carry over to the next turn, meaning that Pokémon going second can also flinch the opponent.
    • Rampage: lasts 2 to 3 turns; subsequent turns increase the move's Power, but also make the user take more damage.
    • Multi-hit moves now always hit 3 times.
    • Endure (2 PP) (Priority Move) - Direct damage taken is reduced by half until the user's next turn. When taking damage, the user consumes an additional 4 PP to survive with at least 1 HP and raise its Attack, Special Attack and Speed for 3 turns. This additional effect fails if there is not enough PP left.
    • Protect and Endure fail if the user is trapped with binding moves.
    • Mist (2 PP) - Protects the user against stat changes for 5 turns. Raises evasiveness for 3 turns.
    • Safeguard (3 PP) - Protects the user's party from status conditions for 5 turns. Raises the user's Defense and Special Defense for 3 turns.
    • Focus Energy (3 PP) - Raises critical hit ratio by two stages and makes the user recover 1 PP at the end of the turn, while active. Lasts 5 turns.
    • Traded Pokémon no longer received boosted experience.
    • Obedience rules apply equally to all Pokémon, traded or otherwise.

Pokémon

• Updated the learnsets of all Pokémon to be more on par with current games.
    • HM moves can now be forgotten.
    • Replaced trade and happiness evolutions with evolution via level up while also holding specific items, or evolutions using items.
    • Egg Pokémon hatch at level 2.
    • Traded Pokémon can be renamed.

Items

• Drinks are not usable in battle; they are cost-efficient healing on the field.
    • Potions remain usable in battle, but are expensive when compared to drinks.
    • Berries have relative HP healing, and can be used as held items.
    • Berry Juice and Moomoo Milk are considered drinks.
    • Helix Fossil, Dome Fossil and Old Amber were added to the game, including a mechanism to revive them.
    • Changed prices for many items, and updated the inventories of many Poké-Marts.
    • Protein, Iron, Carbos and Calcium are now consumable held items that boost their respective stat in battle.
    • New vitamins were added for missing stats: Zinc (Special Defense), Magnesium (Accuracy), Potassium (Evasion).
    • The Goldenrod and Celadon department stores now sell Evolution stones.
    • The moves granted by many TMs were updated.

World

• Added a time skip mechanism at Poké-Centers to skip from night to morning, morning to day and day to night.
    • Field moves (e.g., Cut, Surf, Strength) are available by species, regardless of the moves each individual Pokémon knows.
    • The availability of field moves is not necessarily tied to the Pokémon being able to use the move in combat (e.g., Pidgey can use Fly as an attacking move, but is too small to carry a person for quick travel).
    • Gym leaders and other significant trainers have had their party rosters updated.
    • Gym leaders reward trainers with thematic HMs.
    • Gym trainers become move tutors after obtaining the respective badge.
    • Updated the wild encounter tables of Johto and Kanto maps for grass, tree, rock, fishing and surfing encounters.
    • Wild encounters have a wider range of levels and variety of Pokémon, based on geography and the biology of the Pokémon.
    • Most areas feature a rare wild species and encounters change throughout the different phases of the day.
    • Added a new map: a volcanic cave deep under Mount Mortar.
    • Added a new map: Viridian Forest.
    • Added an NPC on Cherrygrove that will offer Kanto starters for trade.

Instructions

This game was built based on the Pokémon Crystal disassembly.
    In order to play this ROM hack, apply the provided UPS patch on top on Pokémon Crystal ROM (UE V1.0) - the default Pokémon Crystal version built from the disassembly.

CRC32: ee6f5188
    MD5: 9f2922b235a5eeb78d65594e82ef5dde

Check out the Documentation page of the game.

Here is a Google Drive link to download the UPS patch.
    The same patch is available in this thread's attachments.

And here is a link to a Discord server.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• pokecrystal-3.png
      pokecrystal-3.png
      2.7 KB · Views: 63
    • pokecrystal-4.png
      pokecrystal-4.png
      2.7 KB · Views: 54
    • pokecrystal-5.png
      pokecrystal-5.png
      1.6 KB · Views: 35
    • pokecrystal-7.png
      pokecrystal-7.png
      3.5 KB · Views: 38
    • pokecrystal-0.png
      pokecrystal-0.png
      2.4 KB · Views: 94
    • pokecrystal-8.png
      pokecrystal-8.png
      1.7 KB · Views: 43
    • pokecrystal-9.png
      pokecrystal-9.png
      2.9 KB · Views: 35
    • pokecrystal-10.png
      pokecrystal-10.png
      1.6 KB · Views: 32
    • pokecrystal-15.png
      pokecrystal-15.png
      1.9 KB · Views: 28
    • pokecrystal-18.png
      pokecrystal-18.png
      2.4 KB · Views: 27
    • pokecrystal-19.png
      pokecrystal-19.png
      2.9 KB · Views: 32
    • pokecrystal-22.png
      pokecrystal-22.png
      2.9 KB · Views: 28
    • pokecrystal-24.png
      pokecrystal-24.png
      2 KB · Views: 28
    • pokecrystal-26.png
      pokecrystal-26.png
      2.2 KB · Views: 32
    • pokecrystal-27.png
      pokecrystal-27.png
      2.4 KB · Views: 34
    • pokecrystal-28.png
      pokecrystal-28.png
      3.4 KB · Views: 37
    • pokecrystal-32.png
      pokecrystal-32.png
      1.9 KB · Views: 36
    • pokemon-salt-crystal.ups
      633.7 KB · Views: 32
    Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    The pokemon in Ekrueak Gym are over level 100 for whatever reason, though they are still defeatable,but they cough up so mych EXP that it kinda screws up level balance on my team afterward

Prof_Oatfield

Prof. Oatfield
    Years
  • The pokemon in Ekrueak Gym are over level 100 for whatever reason, though they are still defeatable,but they cough up so mych EXP that it kinda screws up level balance on my team afterward

Not intended! I have found and fixed the bug. Updated the UPS patch as well.
    Thanks for reporting!

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    oh hey is their a movepool list for this? It'd be helpful to know that info

Prof_Oatfield

Prof. Oatfield
    Years
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I have yet to try this one, but pretty cool design choices from what I'm reading, especially the battle features.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    A small detail that hurts quite a bit; I tried breeding a rattata with a growlithe and yet it wasnt able to get Flame Wheel in the baby that spawned. Rattata had flame wheel as a egg move since the origina G/S/C so this was a confusing thing to leave out.

Prof_Oatfield

Prof. Oatfield
    Years
  • A small detail that hurts quite a bit; I tried breeding a rattata with a growlithe and yet it wasnt able to get Flame Wheel in the baby that spawned. Rattata had flame wheel as a egg move since the origina G/S/C so this was a confusing thing to leave out.

I wasn't sure what to do with breeding at the beginning, because I was thinking about too many changes to the current systems, and figured people probably wouldn't be breeding too much.

I'll restore the egg moves and update the roster to be on par with current Pokémon. I will let you know when there is an update ready.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    sorry for the double post but another thing came up; that level bug I told you about in ekruteak city is present in other NPCs I found, a trainer in Mt. Mortar's lower levels had a Zapdos at level 164. There may be similar cases in every corner of the game.

Prof_Oatfield

Prof. Oatfield
    Years
  • sorry for the double post but another thing came up; that level bug I told you about in ekruteak city is present in other NPCs I found, a trainer in Mt. Mortar's lower levels had a Zapdos at level 164. There may be similar cases in every corner of the game.

If you're still using the same version, it's possible that the data offset introduced by the previous bug is affecting other trainers.

Just to be sure, though, I'll double check other trainer parties.

Prof_Oatfield

Prof. Oatfield
    Years
  • sorry for the double post but another thing came up; that level bug I told you about in ekruteak city is present in other NPCs I found, a trainer in Mt. Mortar's lower levels had a Zapdos at level 164. There may be similar cases in every corner of the game.

I bet it was Firebreather Kai, right? I just noticed that guy was missing the terminator for its party data, meaning the game would just keep reading into the next trainer, Juggler IRWIN. In this case, the letter "I" translated to level 136, the letter "R" to a Zapdos (number 145), with a moveset of Splash ("W"), Hi-Jump Kick ("I"), and Leech Life ("N").

Thanks for reporting! I will release a fix soon and update the post.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I bet it was Firebreather Kai, right? I just noticed that guy was missing the terminator for its party data, meaning the game would just keep reading into the next trainer, Juggler IRWIN. In this case, the letter "I" translated to level 136, the letter "R" to a Zapdos (number 145), with a moveset of Splash ("W"), Hi-Jump Kick ("I"), and Leech Life ("N").

Thanks for reporting! I will release a fix soon and update the post.

yeah you are exactly right, that was the guy in question

Prof_Oatfield

Prof. Oatfield
    Years
  • A small detail that hurts quite a bit; I tried breeding a rattata with a growlithe and yet it wasnt able to get Flame Wheel in the baby that spawned. Rattata had flame wheel as a egg move since the origina G/S/C so this was a confusing thing to leave out.

Hey! Sorry for the huge delay, but with today's update, egg moves have been restored and updated!

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    ok so I started a new game and I traded a sunkern for a bulbasaur which I later bred with a ditto to get another bulbasaur and somehow the egg gave me a zubat. I get that being a kanto starter means you logically would find them wild in kanto (as the johto starters I noticed are wild in Johto) but given circumstances this can be a major problem as I tried to breed this bulbasaur twice and it gave me the same result. I dont normally like raising traded pokemon due to not being able to name them and the extra EXP gain can get out of hand at times for me personally (and the higher EXP yield in this game can make that a little crazy) so I dunno what to do here.

Last edited:

Prof_Oatfield

Prof. Oatfield
    Years
  • ok so I started a new game and I traded a sunkern for a bulbasaur which I later bred with a ditto to get another bulbasaur and somehow the egg gave me a zubat. I get that being a kanto starter means you logically would find them wild in kanto (as the johto starters I noticed are wild in Johto) but given circumstances this can be a major problem as I tried to breed this bulbasaur twice and it gave me the same result. I dont normally like raising traded pokemon due to not being able to name them and the extra EXP gain can get out of hand at times for me personally (and the higher EXP yield in this game can make that a little crazy) so I dunno what to do here.

Sorry about that, it was a bug, indeed!
    I will be uploading a new version shortly, which will fix the breeding issue, enable renaming of traded Pokémon, and make traded Pokémon behave just like normal ones (no boosts).

Back