• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Trying Again

Years
  • If you remember, last year I was trying to learn to ROM hack, but I went in over my head, and nearly pulled out all my hair. I made several irreparable errors, and eventually had to reset my laptop due to performance issues. So I've lost all progress, which granted, needed to be restarted anyways, as well as all the programs I used. I remember bits and pieces, but if anybody could help by providing suggestions for programs, as well as ideas for starting on a much much smaller scale, it would be greatly appreciated

Years
  • I was thinking add a single room onto Fire Red with a bit of everything in it, but I don't know. I still never figured out trainer battles or road blocks

Years
  • I was thinking add a single room onto Fire Red with a bit of everything in it, but I don't know. I still never figured out trainer battles or road blocks

To add a single room, you need to use Advance Map.
    First, open your ROM using Advance Map.
    There are two icons below the TOOLS tab.
    One is create a new map, another is insert a map.
    First you need to create a new map. Input the dimensions and which tileset you want to use in this map.
    After that, simply edit the map to your liking.

Created Maps are not inserted in the ROM, they are readable A-Map files.
    Which in case, if you want to do something else or blackout happens or etc.
    You can always find your map at the MAP FILES located in the very bottom left of the map list in Advance Map
    Just make sure you frequently save

So after you are satisfied with the map you make, you have to insert it to your ROM.
    This is where you need to be careful, click the insert map icon then it will give you 2 options.
    To replace, or to create a new map. Which is self-explanatory.
    Just make sure you insert your map to free spaces and your ROM will be healthy.

Trainer battles and roadblocks require you to at least understand basic script.
    it is not difficult but may take time to learn, just take a look at various tutorials and ask around if there are stuffs which you do not understand fully.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I can do at least basic scripting, I can do signs and dialogue, npcs, items and recieving pokemon. I can even get an npc to heal you like your Mom usually does. My problem is I can't figure out how to make roadblocks disappear, and my problem with trainers is just that editors can't seem to load my rom

Years
  • I can do at least basic scripting, I can do signs and dialogue, npcs, items and recieving pokemon. I can even get an npc to heal you like your Mom usually does. My problem is I can't figure out how to make roadblocks disappear, and my problem with trainers is just that editors can't seem to load my rom

The disappearance of objects in a map is controlled by flags, flags can be turned on and off via scripting.
    For example, if you use Advance Map and open Pallet Town, you can see OAK sprite but when you are ingame he is no where to be found.
    If you check his PERSON ID, you can see 2C. This is his flag.
    So if you write a script to turn off the flag, Oak will be visible in the gameplay.

To turn on a flag, use setflag command in XSE.
    setflag 0x2C
    This will turn on the flag and remove OAK in pallet town

To turn off a flag, use clearflag command in XSE.
    clearflag 0x2C
    This will turn off the flag and make OAK visible in gameplay at pallet town

SIDE NOTE :
    Do not use the same flag number. Simply example why not :
    If you put someone PERSON ID as 81, and you turn it on to make said person disappear.
    Mewtwo at Cerulean Cave will disappear as well because its PERSON ID is 81 as well.

But in exception, if you want to remove a dozen of people at once.
    Do use the same flag number, Ex : Team Rocket Grunts in SILPH.CO

ALSO please check this thread so you know which flags are unused and safe and which flags are not.

Last edited:
    Years

Objects are set to flags. But tiles can be changed by setmaptile in XSE and compiling it into A. Map.
    It is set out like this:
    setmaptile 0xD 0xE 0x1 0x0 or 0x1
    special 0x8E
    release
    end
    Spoiler:

I hope that made sense...
    And visit this tutorial to learn the best scripting experience ever!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    I may look new but I have been here for more than 2 years.

Check this out!
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=423523

Last edited:
    Back