• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon CMS (custom menu system)

zephadus

Trainer upset about # of PKMN
Years
  • Pok?mon CMS (custom menu system)

I'm making my own Pok?mon game! (real surprise there, eh?)
    Well, I've made a CMS, but I haven't yet set hotkeys.

The options in my menu are:

Pok?dex (Pok?dex Screen)
    Pok?mon (Party Screen)
    Pack (Items Screen)
    Trnr ID (Trainer Identification Card Screen)
    Save (Save Screen)
    Option (Options Screen)
    Quit (Quit Game)
    Exit (Exit Menu)

I'm going to set this up so you can access all these options via the number keys.
    From 1 through 9, and 0.
    I don't know what to set to each key, but I'm thinking either
    1=Pok?dex, 2=Pok?mon, etc. (like in menu) then have 9 and 0 be two of the aforementioned options, OR have same thing, but have 9 and 0 be to run, and to get on your bike.
    (some other game did something similar. the title escapes me at the time)

Anyway, I want you all to tell me what you think.

Also, anyone who wants to help with the menu can "apply" here.

Years
  • you should be able to set the hotkeys in the game, and customize them yourself. you could easily do it with a few IF switches and a imput number operation thing

MysticSwampert

Lord of little people!
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 31, 2004
    Sounds good! this may seem stupid, but whats the difference between IF switches and normal switches???

zephadus

Years
  • Well actually, what I'm asking, is what order the hotkeys should be in, but mainly, I'm asking the opinion of all of you on what the 9 and 0 keys should do.

Oh, and Swampert...
    IF switches are better known to many as "Fork Conditions" of "If..-Then branches".
    Like:
    <>Branch if Var [0001: HP] is 100
    <>Show Picture: 1,HP100,(160,120)
    Meaning if the variable "HP" is 100, the picture "HP100" is shown.
    That's an example of an If Branch.

Another question I'd like to ask, is:
    How do I stop my character from moving while I'm in the menu?
    (I'm using pictures for my menu, so the cursor is NOT my character)

MysticSwampert

Lord of little people!
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 31, 2004
    oh right! I know how to do that, thats good! By the way, you could use 9 and 0 for bike and running like i am in my game. . .

zephadus

Years
  • MysticSwampert said:
    oh right! I know how to do that, thats good! By the way, you could use 9 and 0 for bike and running like i am in my game. . .
    Yeah, I could have running, but a bike would be a royal pain.
    I might do it, but programming all those events to make bikes compatible with cliffs and ladders and such... That'd be heck.:surprised
    There's probably an easy way to do it, though...
    So before I even bother finishing my menu, I'm gonna mess around with bikes and running! ^_^
    Thanks for the idea, and if you or anyone else knows how I can stop my character from moving while I'm in the menu, it'd be very appreciated if I were told.
    Peace out! (gee, maybe I should just put that in my siggy?)

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • It was my game you were talking about, Pok?mon Lunar. I had 1 and 2 toggle bike/boots, and then Shift to activate them. I would prefer, however, if other people did not use that idea. The 9 and 0 ones sounds good though :D.

To stop your character from moving... I don't know. It happened magically in my game. My theory is that you only select the keys that you will be using in the "Key Input Processing" command window (uncheck shift, etc, leaving only directions, enter, and cancel). Make sure you have Conditional Branches for each one.

zephadus

Years
  • Well for your sake DM, I won't hotkey run and bike the way you did, but the ideas originated in Pok?mon Red/Blue (bike) and Pok?mon Ruby/Sapphire (run), so I can still have those in.
    Instead of setting boots, though, I was gonna set it to just run.
    I personally don't need to wear special boots to run in real life, and I'm sure you don't either. lol
    I imagine I'll have the character do something like.....
    Ooh wait, I have a cool idea! I ain't sayin' nothin' here, but I might have a demo of my game released before the end of the month! (although I doubt it)
    When I release the demo, please ignore any errors in the chipsets, and if they're still Gold/Silver chipsets, don't criticize me on that, because I'm converting to R/S/FR/LG.
    I'm gonna post a thread for my game. Heh. *does so*

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Oct 26, 2005
    good zephadus, i'm starting to like what I hear :)
    I'm still ripping graphics from FR/LG till I can create my first town. Then I'm gonna post some screens and maybe even a sneak peak of my CMS/CBS/CNS.. ah well :)

Zephadus, keep it up :)

RM2K3kid

Insane..
    Years
  • zephadus said:
    Another question I'd like to ask, is:
    How do I stop my character from moving while I'm in the menu?
    (I'm using pictures for my menu, so the cursor is NOT my character)
    The way I got the hero to stop moving when in the menu was have the menu event an autostart. Hope that helps :) .

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Oct 26, 2005
    yup Custom Naming System.

I'm doing that cause I then can let the 'real' name appear in the CMS :)

Years
  • Hey, thats my idea. oh well.. just as long as you havent actually stolen my hard work! I wish you luck on doing the CNS because itis very complicated.. I like the sound of your game so far.

Years
  • I thought I would dust off an old thread and ask what's going on.. Zephadus, what's the deal? You sure have signed yourself up for a lot of work, completed any of it?
    I wish ya luck if you are still here...

zephadus

Years
  • Krazy_Meerkat said:
    Yes but he hasn't posted here since April.. I wonder if he was serious when he told everyone he was going to make this cms..
    Yes, yes I was. Heh.
    Hey, do any of you guys remember my thread about my game: "Pok?mon: Evolution of Time"?
    Well I had planned to make a prevolution of Snorlax, but guess what?
    Nintendo beat me to it! :'(
    But oh well, I still have Kangaskhid and Hissfit. Heh.

Anyway, if ANY of you remember PKMN:EoT, let me know.
    If nobody remembers anything about it, I don't think I'll bother finishing...

I have the physical structures of everything from NewBark Town to CherryGrove City, and I also have Tsubiiko in the Kutsu region nearly complete, and I'm working on Razor Peak, which is a part of Mt. Beryl, north of Tsubiiko. :D

If there's anybody who's willing to help me out with EoT, or even straight up join Statolith Entertainment, message me.
    I need all the help I can get, so please...
    Anyone who's any good with RM2K/3, and wants to help out, message me.

Later, people!
    And good morning! ^_^

Back