• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle Arena Team help! (Emerald)

Years
  • Hi everyone,

Lately I've been experimenting with a few different teams in an attempt to earn a Gold Symbol in the Battle Arena. I've found the toughest part of this facility is the "no switching" rule, meaning there is a huge importance on team order. Right now the team I'm using is the following:

Starmie @ Shell Bell
    Natural Cure
    252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
    Modest
    - Surf
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Psychic

Flygon @ Focus Band
    Levitate
    252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
    Adamant
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Double Team (placeholder for a better move)
    - Dragon Claw

Typhlosion @ Quick Claw
    Blaze
    252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
    Quirky
    - Toxic
    - Flamethrower
    - Thunderpunch

I'm having some trouble figuring out what, if any, move to put in place of the DT's on Flygon and Typhlosion. The darn lack of a physical/special split makes it really hard to find a good physical move for Flygon and special move for Typhlosion to put in that slot, so any suggestions are appreciated. I also have these Pokemon EV trained that I've tried switching in and out:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Sturdy
    252 HP/252 SpD/4 DEF
    Impish
    - Double Team
    - Toxic
    - Aerial Ace
    - Steel Wing

Regice @ Chesto Berry
    Clear Body
    252 HP/252 DEF/4 SpD
    Bold
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Rest
    - Double Team

Any suggestions for what order to put these Pokemon in, movesets to alter, or new Pokemon to train are very much appreciated. This facility is driving me crazy. Thank you all!

:t254: Sceptile0111 :t254:

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • Hi everyone,

Lately I've been experimenting with a few different teams in an attempt to earn a Gold Symbol in the Battle Arena. I've found the toughest part of this facility is the "no switching" rule, meaning there is a huge importance on team order. Right now the team I'm using is the following:

Starmie @ Shell Bell
    Natural Cure
    252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
    Modest
    - Surf
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Psychic

Flygon @ Focus Band
    Levitate
    252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
    Adamant
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Dragon Claw

Typhlosion @ Quick Claw
    Blaze
    252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
    Quirky
    - Toxic
    - Flamethrower
    - Thunderpunch

I'm having some trouble figuring out what, if any, move to put in place of the DT's on Flygon and Typhlosion. The darn lack of a physical/special split makes it really hard to find a good physical move for Flygon and special move for Typhlosion to put in that slot, so any suggestions are appreciated. I also have these Pokemon EV trained that I've tried switching in and out:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Sturdy
    252 HP/252 SpD/4 DEF
    Impish
    - Double Team
    - Toxic
    - Aerial Ace
    - Steel Wing

Regice @ Chesto Berry
    Clear Body
    252 HP/252 DEF/4 SpD
    Bold
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Rest
    - Double Team

Any suggestions for what order to put these Pokemon in, movesets to alter, or new Pokemon to train are very much appreciated. This facility is driving me crazy. Thank you all!

hi!

I can sympathize with the Battle Arena, while I enjoyed it next to the hell incarnate that was the Battle Palace I always felt the judges were a bit harsh sometimes v.v Your focus should be on straight up attacking and moves that help your overall damage output, as toxic is only really helpful for Shedinja (which your team can handle fine) and last pokemon Snorlax. Likewise, double team is a bit risky here; you're losing points in all at least 2 categories for a chance at an opponent's miss, and we all know how the RNG loves to play with your heart. I'll be suggesting a few items/TMs, but with the Emerald Cloning Glitch that shouldn't be a problem ;)

I would try Leftovers or Petaya Berry (if you have it!) instead of Shell Bell on Starmie: your damage output may not be consistent enough to get enough health back overall in the long run when you face more bulkymons like Umbreon and Swampert. Leftovers guarantees a steady stream of healing that you can depend on, while Petaya Berry turns your already fierce Starmie into a nuke should you get put in a desperate situation.

Now, Flygon and Typhlosion aren't the best of teammates for Starmie. I can see from your team that you'll have huge problems with Moonlight Umbreon and Swampert for that matter, but Umbreon moreso because Greta will be guaranteed to have one. You need a bit more firepower, so I'm going to suggest 2 pokemon that worked out well for me in the past:

Salamence @ Leftovers
    Intimidate
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spd
    Nature: Adamant
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Dance
    - Rock Slide
    - Aerial Ace

Slaking @ Choice Band
    Truant
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spd
    Nature: Adamant
    - Return
    - Earthquake
    - Shadow Ball
    - Aerial Ace/Focus Punch

Salamence is, quite honestly, a better Flygon. Intimidate will come in useful more times than you can imagine, and if used on the right opponent will let you get your Dragon Dance off and score some major damage. Electric types aren't such a big deal as they're mostly all weak anyway :) CB Slaking's Return is the strongest move in the game, next to a CB Snorlax Selfdestruct, and with stats that resemble Kyogre's you should take the chance to abuse it at any chance possible. Truant looks like a big setback, but having 2 turns to spam Return will do the trick in most cases. Just keep him in the back! Focus Punch is slashed in because of Umbreon, having a move guaranteed to OHKO it is always useful.

If you still want to keep and use Typhlosion, consider Sunny Day > Double Team. You're boosting your Flamethrower as well as weakening any water attacks that come your way, so it has both offensive and defensive uses. Then depending on how your team fares in general, see if it's worth putting Solarbeam > Toxic for annoying Swampert and friends.

Good luck!

Years
  • Thanks for the help! I'm working on training a Slaking right now; Truant always put me off from trying to use one but I suppose it's worth a shot. Two questions though:

1) Wouldn't Hyper Beam be better than Return for the Battle Arena? Since you aren't allowed to switch, the forced recharge turn doesn't seem to hurt anything as far as I can tell. Unless there's something I'm missing...

2) For Typhlosion's edited moveset, I can't figure out a way to get Solarbeam on to one. He can't learn it by TM and it doesn't appear breedable. Is there a move tutor somewhere I can use?

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • No problem, glad I could help out in some way! You're right about Hyper Beam, for the Arena it's probably better than Return since you can't swap anyway and the raw damage may come in handy:

Choice Band Slaking Return vs. Umbreon: 232-273 (62.1 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    Choice Band Slaking Hyper Beam vs. Umbreon: 340-400 (91.1 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

I'm just used to Return Slaking because I used him for other facilities (Palace and Tower) too and I didn't feel like reteaching him moves every other round, haha. For some reason I thought Typlosion could learn Solarbeam in 3rd Gen, but he only got it from 4th Gen???? Alright nintendo :/ In that case, just stick with toxic I guess. His other moves would really be filler, bar Focus Punch but with your EV spread it won't be doing that much

Back