• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can a move relearner make a pokemon remember moves from a pre evolution?

SilverLeafeon75

Type diversity? What type diversity?
Years
  • I know this question has been asked a fair bit, but I want a solid answer. If lets say you have a growlithe with flamethrower via level up, evolve it into an Arcanine, and accidentally forget flamethrower, can you still relearn it because it knew the move beforehand, or can you not because the move is not in the learn pool for the current evolution. This could go for literally any stone evo/move combo.

I have seen conflicting answers, so I want to put this to rest once and for all.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    If you go to a site like Bulbapedia that shows all the moves you might see a few moves that say they're learned at level 1 which is impossible because you need to level it up to evolve. Those moves are usually only learned by Prevos, and the reason they can be learned at level 1 is so you can go the the move relearner and learn them.

Years
  • That is a great question SilverLeafeon75.

I loaded a White 2 game I had recently re-played so I could do some research for you. Sadly, the answer to the question is no. Pokemon lose pre-evolution moves prior to gen 7.

I have an Arcanine on my White 2 team who did not evolve until well after he learned Flamethrower as Growlithe. I have since deleted flamethrower in favor of physical moves, but took him to the PWT just to see if he was capable of remembering it. My Arcanine could NOT remember flamethrower, he only had the option of remembering the moves Arcanine traditionally can learn like extreme speed.

There is a lot of vagueness on this topic, even Bulbapedia in my opinion does not give an entirely clear explanation of this situation, so its good that this topic has been brought up so there can be more discussion.

Last edited:
    Years
  • As far as I'm aware, you cannot relearn moves from a pre-evolution if you forget them. I'm not sure if Sun & Moon changed that, since I know they changed a lot of move mechanics.

Back