• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] Getting started wit scripting in HGSS

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2017
    Hi guys! Some days ago, I decided that I want to make a soul Silver rom hack, but I have no clue about where to start. I got PPRE to change pokemon stats, attacks etc, as well as trainers and encounters. However, sometimes when I change encounters and trainers, there is a risk that the ROM will be corrupted and freeze in the modded zone. I need help to fix the corrupted zones.

Also, I want to drastically alter the quest lines, but I have no clue about where to start learning about scripting. Can someone please point out a resource that can teach me the scripting skills I need?

Thanks in advance :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I'd highly recommend using SDSME to edit trainers and scripts instead of PPRE, and using a separate ROM to edit wild Pokemon (once you've finished editing, just copy the narc with the wild data to your actual ROM; this way PPRE can break whatever it wants and it won't affect your actual ROM). Don't use SDSME to edit wild Pokemon because it doesn't seem to work properly on any map with water.

Have you got any scripting experience with the GBA games? If not, that's actually a good place to start. There aren't many resources around for the DS games, but their scripts are very similar to the GBA ones, so you should be able to pick up the basics from something like this tutorial. Not all of it will actually be useful (for example, you don't need to worry about pointers, and some of the functions will be slightly different). The best way to learn how to script something is to look at how Gamefreak did it, and just copy and modify the parts of their scripts that you need to make yours. With a bit of practice you'll eventually be able to write them from scratch.

Years
  • Also to be clear, scripts and text are both stored in locations specified by the map. Check the header info tab in SDSME and you'll see which ones they use listed. So when you see a textbox referring to message 1, 2, etc. you know to look at the corresponding message within the map's text section. Same thing for events referring to different scripts with these kinds of relative offsets.

Back