• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikt

Fiction writer.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 19, 2010
Uh, so you remember when Pokemon didn't exist? Even if they were called something else, EV's and IV's have always been in Pokemon, along with shinies. This includes Generation I.

shookie

Often scatters things.
Years
I remember the days when there was no such thing as EVs, IVs, Natures, or even Shiny Pokemon. Ahh those were the good old days of simple Pokemon.
EVs and IVs have always existed in some capacity :p they're just in a much more comprehensible structure now.

beca

◔_____◔
Years
It's mainly the names that I find a bit...over the top. I mean come on, Regigigas? o_o that could be Quagmire's new catchphrase.
Floaroma Town isn't much better either. The simple ones like Cerulean City were fine xD
But hey, at this point I'd have ran out of ideas too. :P

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
Years
The world isn't the same as it was 10 years ago, face the fact that the world is changing and games are tweeked to suit the current trends. I mean, nowadays, people want 3D or HD graphics. Would people buy PS3's if it had graphics like the NES? No.

Years
oh yeah because a turtle with CANNONS in its back and a frog-dino having a giant plant-mushroom on its back isn't exaggerated and simple at all.

Stop wearing your nostalgia glasses and try coming up with 500+ unique pokemon because ONE guy comes up with at least 80% of the designs.

shookie

Often scatters things.
Years
And no one EV trained their pokemon, or IV bred in Red and Blue either.
That's because you didn't have to. It was possible to max out all of the stats using the system in the original games. The variables and terminology have changed over the few years, but the mechanics have been there from the start.

Magmarizer

Hitokiri Battōsai
Years
The reason I like Pokemon, is mainly because of the 1st and 2nd generation who had simple pokemon with no "ultra"-shields and random trees on their back. .
I agree with the above posters. what about pokemon with random bulbs on there back?

Floaroma Town isn't much better either. The simple ones like Cerulean City were fine
"oh wow look at this town! it looks just the same as the last. and the one before that. and before that."

After a while it gets old to see the same type of town over and over agian.

FlameShocker

C++/ASM Programmer
Years
I have no real opinion on how the new(ish, meaning fourth generation) ones look. I was thrilled that they weren't doing the crap they'd done for third generation (barely any changes to evolutionary families with third generation). My only real complaints about fourth generation are Stealth Rock and Infernape outclassing Blaziken. In any case, I hope the crap of third generation won't be repeated in the fifth one.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
I don't see why some people are complaining about the designs. Like already mentioned there has to be a way to differentiate between old pokemon and new pokemon and as times progress designs change. The newer pokemon are just as simple-designed as the older generations. It just appears to some of you that they're not. I mean come on I have yet to see a pokemon with a helicopter, an AK-47, and a flame thrower strapped to its back so until then most pokemon are simply designed in my opinion.

Another thing, if you aren't pleased with the designs then don't play the games. Really, it's just as simple as that. I'm not trying to sound rude, but it just irks me when people complain about things like these when Game Freak spent YEARS developing it trying to please pokemon lovers everywhere. We should all be thankful we have so many pokemon and that pokemon didn't take some long hiatus like Digimon has after the 2nd or 3rd gen. Coming up with so many new pokemon has to be tough. I know for sure I would have never been able to design Reshiram, Zekrom, Zoroark/Zorua, or the starters on my own. :D

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
You're right, getting more complicated and extra not very "Pokémon" but, it's the future! Things move on! I like the change if you as me.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
Years
Yes, I think many miss the old games but you can keep the old consoles and play them if you wish and when ever you like. Whip up your Gameboy Colour (if you still have it that is) or whatever it is you want to play and give the old games a good whirl, that's what I do. Technology is growing up and so are the games, who nowadays would want the NES now? Not many people I know would want it, or may never have heard of it. Everybody (well, nearly everybody...) is all: "Yay, I have PS3 all that high definition stuff on my screen that rocks my socks off!" If you miss the old classics, go back to them, even if it's the Gameboy Colour you can only get to.

As for the designs, why complain? You're getting a good game to entertain you for a while, right? It's not like they're going to the extreme, I agree with PiPVoda here, the designs are still pretty simple. Maybe they're ugly to you, but it's a load of pixels on your consoles screen. Get over it. You're getting a treat of a game with some new styles, I bet it takes hours (Such an understatement) maybe even to think of all these designs even if they're basing them off other Pokemon from the previous games. I'd say just be glad they haven't dropped the whole Pokemon subject and enjoy past and present games!

Last edited:

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
I don't the the more complex designs either, I feel that they try to hard to be "epic and kewl". However, I believe that such designs, while they have increased in number since Gen I, are still in the minority.

ase

learning How to Hack
Years
just play the game ppl its called change if Game Freak didn't add all the graphics onto the pokes, it would have went out of business a Long time ago

HugSomebody

Trust me!~
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 25, 2011
As new Pokemon increase, simplistic designs will decrease. The creators have to get creative and make a distinct difference between all the Pokemon (especially parallels of different generations, such as Meowth and Skitty) and to do this, they have to make the Pokemon a little more complex. I personally see nothing wrong with this; it's interesting to see what new designs are brought to the table. =D

Dubstep

Goes bump in the night
Years
For the most part I agree with you (Rotom WTF), but there have been some cool Pokemon in 4th and 5th gen. Leafeon and Lucario, anyone?

I wish they'd focus on new things besides new Pokemon, though. If they didn't have to whip 50+ new species out of their rears every couple of years, it might not be so bad.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
Years
I don't see why some people are complaining about the designs. Like already mentioned there has to be a way to differentiate between old pokemon and new pokemon and as times progress designs change. The newer pokemon are just as simple-designed as the older generations. It just appears to some of you that they're not. I mean come on I have yet to see a pokemon with a helicopter, an AK-47, and a flame thrower strapped to its back so until then most pokemon are simply designed in my opinion.

Another thing, if you aren't pleased with the designs then don't play the games. Really, it's just as simple as that. I'm not trying to sound rude, but it just irks me when people complain about things like these when Game Freak spent YEARS developing it trying to please pokemon lovers everywhere. We should all be thankful we have so many pokemon and that pokemon didn't take some long hiatus like Digimon has after the 2nd or 3rd gen. Coming up with so many new pokemon has to be tough. I know for sure I would have never been able to design Reshiram, Zekrom, Zoroark/Zorua, or the starters on my own. :D
I completely agree with you! Stop complaining people.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Better get used to change, people.

You know, if you stop complaining about the new pokemon just because they're not just like the original pokemon, and just play the games as casually as you played the original games, the new pokemon will grow on you. >_>

I hated the genIV pokemon when they were all leaked, but I'm indifferent at worst to most of them. =/

The world isn't the same as it was 10 years ago, face the fact that the world is changing and games are tweeked to suit the current trends. I mean, nowadays, people want 3D or HD graphics. Would people buy PS3's if it had graphics like the NES? No.

oh yeah because a turtle with CANNONS in its back and a frog-dino having a giant plant-mushroom on its back isn't exaggerated and simple at all.

Stop wearing your nostalgia glasses and try coming up with 500+ unique pokemon because ONE guy comes up with at least 80% of the designs.

All these posters here have it right. Every time a new generation comes out, people are always bringing up the same exact complaint. "Pokémon has become so unoriginal. Nothing beats the older Red and Blue days where things were so simple. " Well, that was about fourteen years ago since Red and Blue, and to be honest, what we have now is a lot better than what we had before. Yes, yes, I did say that what we have now is a lot better than before. For one, all the Pokémon back from the 1st and 2nd Generation were all very simple. I think when Pokémon became established and realized they could take risks in bringing more to Pokémon is when they started to develop even more. They became more unique in their own way. So, it isn't just a blue turtle with a shell anymore, it's something more than that. Actually, Pokémon hasn't even overdone anything with Pokémon yet. They are still relatively the same and simple as they used to be, just with a little more. So, in all respect, I think it's time a lot of players stop comparing the newer generations to the older generations. Now, that is pretty old and unoriginal if you ask me, since it happens every time. If anything, compare the new generation to the one before it, not one so many years back. It doesn't make any sense to compare Red and Blue to Black and White since they are two way different generations from two different eras in time. Pokémon is still Pokémon, nothing about that has changed.

As far as the graphics go, I would have quit Pokémon years ago if it had stayed like RBY and GSC. They were great at that time because nothing better was out. Now however we've been given more technology and larger spaces to work with. Like someone mentioned earlier, playing through city after city that looked the same got really old. At least every new generation we get now, each city has some new aspect to look forward to and the new graphics help with that ... a lot. So, if you're tired of what Pokémon has become now, then stop playing the newer games and stick to the older generation if that's what pleases you so much.

Saying this as easily as possible, but Pokémon isn't what it used to be. It's changed, so get used to it already and stop crying over something so old of a matter already. Not meaning to sound rude or harsh, but I'm just being direct to the topic at hand and giving my voice over the matter. That is, Pokémon is still Pokémon, change is expected, and it's tiring to see people keep comparing every new generation to the first generation [Red/Blue/Green] and then complaining about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back