• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kw2tsg1

Hello Everyone.
Years
  • The originals were great. I'm pretty sure everyone can agree on that in some shape or form. The newer gens are getting a bit fancy/crazy looking but it is interesting as to what they come up with.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    I'm sure if the generations were reversed, people would think that Gen I is too simplistic and not creative. Every gen has horrible pokemon, take your nostalgia goggles off and judge fairly.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    i think they should balance out old classic design with new designs XD

i love ZeKrom (i capitalize the K to remember the correct pronuniaction lol)
    i tihnk hes the most badass jet lookin dragon yet :3

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
  • isn't he they only jet lookin dragon yet? derp.
    and i agree.
    balance the designs just a little bit.

shot571

I don't care what would these Pokémon look like, I just pick my favorites and play.

I prefer ugly Pokémon over cute Pokémon anyways. :P
    Lol I thought you were talking about Numbers's sig.I was just like What is he on about. :p
    I like the legendaries and the starters are ok. grass and fire are ok. water though sucks imo. I reckon they are making them slightly more detailed to stop people comparing pokemon. e.g. bidoof + piplup = new starter. Plus now they can do more with the fames now since they have better technology. I agree they don't have that 'original' pokemon feel but they are pokemon none the less. Pretty good ones imo.

Years
  • i love ZeKrom (i capitalize the K to remember the correct pronuniaction lol)

Not quite there Volroc.:cheeky: Japanese can't do consonant blends like "Kr", since all consonants (with the exception of 'n') must be followed by a vowel. So the Japanese is Zekuromu, which could be better romanized as Zek'rom.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • UGH i hate the new generations. Everything is bad about them, their pokemon, storylines, how many ****ing legendaries they have to have. :\

Gf D/P/Pt

DarkPrince304

Back to Hacking after exams!!!
    Years
  • If the people say Pokemon isn't like the way it was before then I blame the anime for it.
    The Pokemon games are just getting Better and Better.
    These games are gonna be the best Pokemon Games.
    These are packed up with loads of new features.
    Well they are making new Pokemon. Of course they'll use new designs. It can't get any simpler.
    It's creativity people. I personally want the Pokemon to look more deadly :P
    I guess Zoroark can own some handful of old Pokemon.
    Just look at him he must be fast! :)

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I dunno, it might be the fact that I'm a fair bit older than others who have been in the series since the beginning (I'm currently 23, and started playing Pokemon when it came out when I was 11), but Pokemon games don't hold as much nostalgic factor to me as things from my earlier childhood (Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Disney movies back when they were good...), so nostalgia doesn't really impede me when I judge a pokemon's design objectively. I see Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko, Turtwig, and Tsutaaja as fairly equal in stylistic design when I compare them. =/

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • The creators are losing their creativity. I agree. The pokemon are looking more like fanmon.... come to think of it, the fan made pokemon look even better. They should make a contest where everyone makes their own pokemon and some get picked for the game.

Right, of course, because three magnets stuck together is so much more creative than a starship-like machine with magnet "guns". And, of course, a brown bird is more creative than a flowery hedgehog. Cool story, bro.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well, I'd guess so in some cases, but I would definitely be the exception to the rule. I played Gen I and didn't think that a lot of the pokemon looked very good. I felt like the creators were just running out of ideas when they passed the likes of Farfetch'd, Lickitung, Doduo, Dodrio, and some others. When Gen II came out, I took a look at the pokemon that had been highly publicized--the starters, Marill, Donphan, Ho-Oh, and Lugia--and thought that they all looked hideous. With the exception of Donphan, I still feel the same way. That made me skip Gen II entirely. Gen III came out, and one look at Treeko, Torchic, and Mudkip made me think that it wasn't for me. Looking at some of the other designs from Gen III, I think it was a wise choice. As I said before, it was when I was in a Japanese McDonald's that I first saw Gen IV pokemon, and it re-kindled my interest because I thought the designs were so good.

That's cool :) there sure are many different people playing pokémon. Probably good that gamefreak can make everybody happy in some way.

I'm more for the cute pokémon... naturally my favourite gen is II, with Flaaffy, Chikorita, Jumpluff, Marill and the likes :p

UGH i hate the new generations. Everything is bad about them, their pokemon, storylines, how many ****ing legendaries they have to have. :\

Spoiler:

Gf D/P/Pt

Now now. I think the storylines get more and more interesting. Johto and Kanto didn't have much of it, Hoenn was epic (for a pokémon game) and I haven't played through Sinnoh but it seems even better.
    But this thread wasn't about the storylines.

And that comic is win.

Diglett

Ice cream snow
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    They're looking more and more ridiculous every generation, and they're being over-powered. That's why I stopped playing Yu-Gi-Oh because of the over-powering of the cards.

Adley

Tidiliboo
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    What do you expect? With the technology available to add more details, why shouldn't GF use them? I will admit they look a little.... strange, but I thought the same about GenIV and now its my second favorite gen.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2013
    all i have to say is if you're complaining so much about the pokemon and how much you hate it, then stop playing the games, otherwise you're just being a hypocrite

Years
  • I actually don't really mind the changes Pokemon are taking, even thought I found Gen III Pokemon so ugly, I mean seriously, a burning chicken and a Grass lizard? I had no regrets in choosing Mudkip thats for sure.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    3rd gen was horrible, i only liked
    treeko and evos
    absol
    corpfish & crawdaunt
    aggron
    tropius
    cacturne
    salamence