• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Advanced generation? Old? Well...

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Yes the advanced gen does seem sort of old. I do think about it from time to time, remembering eight years ago when the games first came out. Then I think of today's games and say wow pokemon has changed in such a short amount of time. So essentially yes the games are old: older pokemon, older region, older graphics, etc. Then at the same time, it never seems old when playing it. I still have the excitement I had back when I was nine enjoying my pokemon ruby.

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
    Years
  • Doesn't seem too old too me. The graphics are new enough looking that it still gives you the effect of it being a new game.

I don't really have many memories of the game though since hardly any of my friends cared about the series at that point and most of them that did buy R/S only played through it once (including me). So I can't exactly nostalgia about them like I can with the Gen I and II games.

BrainChord

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    Yes we are
    Great to smell that fortree air, get a tan in the route 1?? desert, bathe in the hot springs, and meet the best evil teams (imo) of pokemon.

Years
  • Ditto. I don't think I will be buying a DS anytime ever soon, so Gen III works well for me. It's the newest I have so it's new in my book lol

Wow that's so cool I seriously thought I was the only person that was DS-less lol :) Tbh there are so many great things about Gen III that I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out at all :)

gregory_turner420

Trainer/Breeder
    Years
  • the games to me do not feel old, i just played through ruby and leafgreen this week, but now that i think about how long theyve been out makes me feel old.

Multigen

The Splicer
    Years
  • As of a few days ago, I own every 3rd gen game, including spinoffs. i'm sooo proud of myself! ^_^ Anyway, I will never think advanced generation games are old. never. I mean, they're advanced!! :P The first pokemon game I ever played was emerald, then sapphire, then FR, then colosseum, then LG, then XD. you get the picture. I guess since it (and the tv show and card game) is what got me interested in pokemon, it'll always be my favorite.

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • I know what you mean. It's hard to believe that the GBA games have been around for so long. I still view them as new games. I think the original Kanto and Johto games are so much more nostalgic because that was back when everyone used to love Pokémon (well, here anyway). The Advance Generation was so much different for lots of reasons but for me, these are the main ones:

- The colours were completely different as they really jumped out compared to the games before them.
    - I think the fact that most hacks come from that generation also helps keep them alive. The "new" feel keeps coming back.
    - They can connect to the next two Generations (well, sort of) but not the previous two in any way.
    - The fact that I play the games on my DS as opposed to a GameBoy is probably a factor too. Since I play them on the same console, I can't really view them as "old".

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Gen III felt new to me even through Gen IV, but now it's pretty much exclusively old.

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    They are useful for filling the pokedex of the newer games. Migrate is so useful :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2011
    i missed the advance generation, i didn't but any of those but it's cool to see what other people think of them

Theab95

Legend hunter
    Years
  • I don't consider it old especially Emerald my favorite Pokemon game but then wait 10 years and the kids who played the fifth generation will talk how great it was because
    they grew up with those games also the fourth generation.

Dominance

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2011
    I like the advanced gen games, they certainly don't feel old to me. I prefer the graphics style to the newer games, and the games contain many of my favorite pokemon.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • Yes and no. I still remember them well and I recently played them(recently=likie 8 months ago). Yet with Gen. 5 out they are getting old.

Ryoji

Transfer Student
    Years
  • Yeah, 3rd Gen is pretty old now, I'm sure it'll be revived someday in a remake though so no worries lol.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • It doesn't feel old to me, although it certainly is. I was back in middle school when Ruby/Sapphire were released, so yeah... That says a lot. lol

It's just, they have feel that all of the games since have had. The first two generations are on their own.

They also don't feel so old to me because I got FireRed only a couple of years ago, and I've been playing it lately because it's the newest Pokemon game I can play.

Back