• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] Help finding character sprite heads in Town map (Emerald)

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2021
    Good day, community.

I am currently working on a hack of my own, and I am struggling to find a particular set of sprites.
    To be more specific, I am looking for the sprites of the character heads in Pokemon Emerald while you look at the Town Map.

aid1326330-v4-728px-Get-Beldum-in-Pokemon-Emerald-Step-2-Version-3.jpg

For example, the one right above the red square.
    I tried using one of the Advance Editors and unLZ, but without any luck.

Could someone help me out to locate and edit these sprites?

Thank you in advance!

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    These sprites are uncompressed, so you won't find them in unLZ.

Here are the offsets for BPEE:
    Palette Male: 0x5A082C (length 0x20)
    Sprite Male: 0x5A084C (length 0x80)
    Palette Female: 0x5A08CC
    Sprite Female: 0x5A08EC

For BPED the first offset is 0x5B18AC, the others follow accordingly.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2021
    Thank you so much, Nekaida!
    Managed to edit it without issues with Tile Molester :)

Btw, just to get myself out of the doubt, BPEE refers to the USA release of Emerald right?
    While BPED I assume refers to the PAL release.

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2023
    I have a very similar question. In UnLZ I know that the Offsets 188 and 189 are for the protagonists male and female(FIRE RED/LEAF GREEN). But I just can't make the colors work when I upload a new avatar to be shown on the town map. Do I have to change the sprite palette on BPED before editing on UnLZ? I've already changed everything, my overworld sprite, battle sprite and even Prof. Oak's intro sprites, but the only One I'm struggling now it's with the protagonist's head on the town map -.-

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I have a very similar question. In UnLZ I know that the Offsets 188 and 189 are for the protagonists male and female. But I just can't make the colors work when I upload a new avatar to be shown on the town map. Do I have to change the sprite palette on BPED before editing on UnLZ? I've already changed everything, my overworld sprite, battle sprite and even Prof. Oak's intro sprites, but the only One I'm struggling now it's with the protagonist's head on the town map -.-

I'd suggest following this tutorial. Although it's specifically for the titlescreen, the method applies to lots of graphics in a ROM. https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=325944

Back