• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels

Most video games have adjustable difficulty settings that either provide less skilled players the satisfaction of an ending and finding out how the thing ends or provide skilled players the benefits of the added challenge to increase the game's fun factor. Traditionally, these difficulty settings would be called "Easy", "Normal", and "Hard".

However, a recurring idea on many video games is to name them in a way that reflects the style, themes, and the overall gameplay. Additionally, difficulty levels also affect how you are treated in the game itself, such as Easy-Mode-Mockeries or the "Harder-Than-Hard" treatments.

Examples of Idiosyncratic difficulty levels:
    Doom
    "I'm too young to die" (Easy), "Hurt me plenty" (Normal), "Ultraviolence" (Hard), "Nightmare" (Harder than Hard), "Ultra-Nightmare" (Expert)

Duke Nukem
    "Piece of Cake" (Easy), "Bring it On" (Normal), "Come Get Some" (Hard), "Damn I'm Good" (Nightmare)

Call of Duty
    "Greenhorn" (Very Easy), "Regular" (Normal), "Hardened" (Slighty Harder), "Veteran" (Hard)

As a source of discussion, what is your overall opinion on idiosyncratic difficulty levels, and difficulty levels/settings in video games in general. What do you like and not like about difficulty levels and the way they treat you and other players?

PS: Like ALL of my topics, there's always something extra that EVERYONE should add along their post. As part of your discussion, you must make up your own idiosyncratic difficulty levels based on the kind of game that you are thinking of. Additionally, you can think of how these difficulty settings will affect the game that you envision

I provide the necessary sample here:

**MY VIDEO GAME IDEA DONUT STEAL** => A First Person Shooter

Sad But True - Very Easy
    1. This is for people who enjoy playing video games mainly for the story and would not want to stress out. Enemies will barely deal any damage but many weapon upgrades will not be available.

No Leaf Clover - Easy
    1. This is for people who are not experienced with first person shooters. Enemies are weak with very little resistance.

Fade to Black - Normal
    1. Your skills will be tested. The game's "Normal" Difficulty

The Unforgiven - Ultraviolence
    1. This is how WE LIKE TO PLAY! Enemies deal extra damage, appear in greater numbers, are significantly smarter, and elite enemies deal significantly increased damage.

The next 2 difficulty levels are extra difficulties unlocked upon completion of certain achievements

Some Kind of Monster - Nightmare
    1. All enemies deal 50% more damage, have faster ability cooldowns, are 50% more resistant, and healing items are reduced.

I Disappear - Ultra Nightmare
    1. The enemies you face come from the very depths of hell and beyond. You will learn how to fear and respect what true terror is. Confirm your suicide! All enemies deal 150% more damage, have greatly decreased ability cooldowns, are 50% more resistant, are 50% faster. Completing the game in this skill level will grant you the ultimate reward.

(Yes they are named after songs from Metallica)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I think it's interesting and adds more personality to a game when they have unique names for their difficulty levels - stuff like the ones you mentioned paints a picture of what the tone of the game and difficulty level will be like. And I like adjustable difficulty levels in general - it just opens the game up to more people, imo. A very casual player or someone who is really good at the game and looking for a challenge can enjoy the same game at different paces.

Off the top of my head, one of the examples I'm most familiar with is the Civilization franchise, and they have 8 different difficulty settings that change how the AI work, how much of a starting disadvantage you're at and how much of a boost the AI will get, etc:

• Settler
    • Chieftain
    • Warlord
    • Prince - the baseline: no one has any starting advantages/disadvantages, combat or XP bonuses, AI can and will do everything that you can.
    • King
    • Emperor
    • Immortal
    • Deity
    And if I were to make up my own, it would be for a sort of survival game? I'm not that creative so let's just stick with 3 levels for now, lol. I like the idea of using Latin phrases, and these seem fitting.

Dona nobis pacem - Give Us Peace
    For players who just want to learn how the game works without worrying too much about hazards and hostile mobs. The environment will be pretty calm and mobs won't attack unless provoked.​

Fortes fortuna juvat - Fortune Favors the Brave
    Intermediate level. Player is no longer a beginner and has a better understanding of the game; the environment will less forgiving and certain mobs will attack on sight.​

Ignis aurum probat - Fire Tests Gold
    For more experienced players who have a good understanding of how the game works - environment is harsh and more hostile mobs will spawn near the player.​

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • If only Pokemon would actually make difficulty levels

Gen 5 was able to do something like back in the day, Beginner Mode and Challenge Mode. Challenge mode was actually an amazing experience but it was at the cost of removing the rather immersive experience of a Pokemon game... which was quite a topic of debate in the ACTUAL Pokemon forums LUL.

Regarding difficulty settings, i just remembered both NieR and NieR Automata having drastically different "Normal" and "Hard" skill settings. But then again, making an actually well designed difficulty setting in an RPG where players' stats change along with weapons, equipment, and passives is rather challenging to say the least.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels

As an additional point of discussion, what is your overall opinion on being treated by the game when you pick your preferred difficulty setting? Do you mind actually being made fun of by picking the easiest setting and the game calling you a "Spineless Gamer" as Captain Blazkowicz demonstrates or do you feel like a REAL MAN when you play on the harder settings such as again the same manly captain demonstrates?

Are you... TOO YOUNG TO DIE? Or are you THE DEATH INCARNATE?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    My ego isn't that easily bruised. :P That said, I do try to at least play at the default/intermediate level and generally stay away from easy/beginner mode, but if I have to set it down a notch to have fun or learn the game's mechanics better first, I don't really mind.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • There was actually an interesting chat regarding video game difficulty settings in PC's DISScord. I might copy paste what i saw because some people are 3 Lazy to post here because they got BALLS OF PAPER.

Also, i found myself to play on pretty much every FPS Campaign's "Ultraviolence" difficulty setting as my **SWEATY NERD TRY HARD** playthrough before I commit suicide in playing the Ultra Nightmare setting. I'd do the same for COD campaigns but COD is too less manly of a game to even play for the campaign.

Back