• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Should I make attack animations?

PoCitMonster

DotDotDot
Years
  • Should I waste my time making attack animations for EVERY attack in my game (620) or just leave it as is? Would anyone even care or notice?

Years
  • It's not a NECESSITY, but I thing it makes a game more interesting attack animations instead of the default one that everyone uses.

However I would only advise doing so if you really like having different animations, AND if you are in late game development. There's no need to make animations if you have more important things to worry about your game.

But, if you don't care about rushing your game, go ahead, nothing can stop you! It's a really nice addition for a pokémon game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    I would say it is fairly important for the players. Attack animations & Pokemon animations are the only things that make the battles visually attractive. And yet I don't know if there is a single fan-game with animations for every move in the game. It is a huge amount of work.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    If you have the time, resources and ability, why not? More variety in move animations is always nice.

Remember that you can use the same animation for multiple moves. You could make one animation and give it to a dozen different moves. This is definitely the way to proceed with move animations, I think - it's more customised than the "one animation per move type" that's configured in Essentials, but less work than "unique animations for each move". After all, if you're making a new animation, you want to get the most use out of it, right?

I will say that it'd be very generous of you if you gave your animations to the community for everyone to use. Not only would it save others the time and effort of making their own animations and essentially duplicating your work, it'd also make you look like a very kind and handsome person, and you'd be much more likely to get help from others if you're already giving back to the community.

Back