• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best ROM to use?

ShinyMew

Flash Animator
Years
  • So I started making an Emerald Hack, because I heard it has the most features and whatnot, but I've also heard that it can get unstable very quickly.
    So which (Advance Gen) ROM is the best for a n00b's first hack?

I agree. I tried hacking Emerald but it glitched when you press A on the pokeball in your rival's bedroom (the rival goes up to you but doesn't say anything so you're stuck there). I'm gonna try hacking Ruby now since everyone's recomending it.

johnlycett

Not Booted Out - be like me!
    Years
  • generally I seem to fins ruby easier to edit. I can edit any pallete and it won't look stupid. F/R seems to be harder for me it's just im not used to it.

Martin Yiu

disappeared... forever
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2008
    My choice: FireRed (BPRE)

Advantages:
    - Comparing to R/S/E, it has much better graphics,
    - Comparing to R/S, it has improved music and very nice tracks on Sevii Islands,
    - Comparing to E, it is more stable,
    - Comparing to R/S/E, it has nice text colors both for male and female sprites,
    - Comparing to R/S/E, the intro can be done very well if you know how to make advanced scripts (because not everyone likes saving Prof. Birch)
    - Comparing to R/S (and partly E), it has nicer font.

Disadvantages:
    - Comparing to R/S/E, it lacks Realtime Clock (which can be useful if you want Day/Night to be implemented)
    - Comparing to R/S, it is a little bit less supported by some tools (although it's not completely true)
    - Comparing to R/S/E, it's harder to edit hero backsprites and edit intro sprites (which aren't present in R/S/E, there are battle sprites used instead. Only exception is Prof. Birch),
    - Comparing to R/S/E, it lacks a good trainer device like PokéNAV,
    - Comparing to R/S/E, it's harder to edit the world map

I would still recommend it, even if it has disadvantages, because if you use it as a base, you can produce really high quality hacks, rijonAdventures is perfect example. Or ShinyGold.

EDIT: Hope we didn't bump the thread.

spenceroone3

<he eats lots of burgers.
    Years
  • It all depends on the hack. If you want something FULL of features, pick R/S. If you want to do... I dunno, a premake of Diamond/Pearl, pick E. If you want anything else, pick Firered. Leafgreen is pretty hard to hack since there isn't much tools out there for it...

johnlycett

Not Booted Out - be like me!
    Years
  • It all depends on the hack. If you want something FULL of features, pick R/S. If you want to do... I dunno, a premake of Diamond/Pearl, pick E. If you want anything else, pick Firered. Leafgreen is pretty hard to hack since there isn't much tools out there for it...

But, It's simple to put FR tiles into Ruby so theres lots of features and FR tiles.
    Everyone does it.

Golden Arceus

The First
    Years
  • ok.. a lot of people are saying firered/leafgreen but in their reasons for alot of them they say its because of the graphics or music.. that kind of comment isn't even relevant when talking about hacking since the better hacks feature the creators own graphics and a few people have successfully put in their own tunes as well..

I'd say Emerald because of the battle animations, easier intro scene editing, updated abilities, and Volt Tackle Pichu..

If you are fluent in hex editing (its easier to learn than you think) than Emerald is great for you.. if not stick with ruby or firered since most of the tools work with them..

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Emerald is like Sapphire, based on my knowledge, are not a good ROM to use for hacks, for both are not stable, as what I've heard.

Therefore, to those who wish to hack an advance gen.., the best ROM to use for beginners is Ruby. Get crazy with Ruby and understand the basics before you step into the doorsteps of a FireRed/LeafGreen ROM.

Darke Hawke

Trainer of the Shadows
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2008
    I think that fire red is the best rom to use beacuse it has better graphics than R/S, eve though you have to work harder because FR/LG are harder to hack

Back