• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

competitive team tips

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
Years
heres my current team (still raising some of them)

Volcarona
Nature- Timid
Item- Flame plate (will replace)
Moves- Flamethrower
Bug Buzz
Psychic
Fiery Dance

its already lv 100 so i can only change its moves. i trained it to be a speedy sp. attack sweeper

Lucario
Nature- Relaxed
Item- None
Moves- Aura Sphere
Extremespeed
Dark Pulse
Psychic
as for this, i just like this guy. i think hes trained attack and sp. attack. also lv 100

Altaria
Nature- Adamant
Item- None
Moves- Dragon Claw
Rest
Aerial Ace
Sky Attack
i like dragons so i caught this, actually not half bad as far as altarias go. its ability is natural cure so thats why i decided to go with rest to fill a move slot. lv 96

Carracosta
Nature- Adamant
Item- either life orb or scarf
Moves- Waterfall
Crunch
Earthquake
Rock Slide
probably replacing crunch with ice beam for grass types. trained in attack and sp. defence. lv 63/4

Jolteon
i haven gotten to this poke yet.

Gallade
rasing this one from scratch

i haven't got a sixth poke yet but im thinking Tyranitar or Excadrill

any tips on anything is useful so ill if its a decent tip/idea post it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
For Volcarona, replace Flamethrower with Quiver Dance. It doesn't need 2 STAB moves, and the guarantee for a Special Attack boost (plus the Special Defense and Speed boosts) is helpful.

Relaxed is a terrible nature on Lucario because it reduces its already-average Speed. It can go mixed, but it's better to stick to one form of offense because of its already mentioned Speed:
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Crunch/Ice Punch/Stone Edge
-ExtremeSpeed
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

or
-Nasty Plot
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Vacuum Wave
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe

Altaria is sadly outclassed by other Dragons because Dragonite, Salamence, Hydreigon and Haxorus can hit harder than it can, while Dragonite is better at supporting and defending, due to Multiscale. While Altaria does have the same Speed as Dragonite, the other Dragons I mentioned are also faster. I suggest looking at those 5 Dragons' sets at Smogon and make a pick on what set you want to use from there.

Carracosta is better off in the lower tiers due to its pretty poor defensive typing and Special Defense. Sure, it can Shell Smash (or even Curse), but I think you do need a defensive/support Pokemon somewhere in there, like Ferrothorn:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip/Protect
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Since you're looking for Jolteon, how about this set?:
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Shadow Ball/Signal Beam
-Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs/Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb

For Gallade, you can choose from these sets:
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch/Stone Edge
-Shadow Sneak
Nature: Careful
EVs: 240 HP/40 Atk/216 SDef/12 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Steadfast

or
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Ice Punch/Stone Edge
-Shadow Sneak
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

Just by looking at the OP, you already have 6 Pokemon. I wouldn't suggest Tyranitar or Excadrill for these reasons:
-Your team doesn't benefit from Sandstorm
-Excadrill is (almost) dependent on Sand to function (plus, it's an Uber)

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
Years
yeah i know altaria sucks but i wanted to branch out in my teams a little. i wouldve replaced i with my haxorous anyway after i found a good moveset. and i know lucario's nature is plain crap but i kept it after it hatched because it has an okay charateristic that boosts sp attack. didnt notice id had six, so now i feel stupid

its also kind of a waste to ditch flamethrower since i used a pp max on it

also thinking aboutgetting the espeon instead because i already have i kinda raised

im not opposed to people offering completly new teams, just no event pokes ok

i made the following changes to my team

Volcarona- replaced fiery dance with quiver dance

getting rid of Lucario, recommend any other good pokes?

Haxorous
Nature- lonely
Item- Scope lens
Moves-Dragon claw
X-scissor
Dragon Dance
Guillotine
im going to scrap the OHKO move as soon as i think of a good replacement. EV trained in attack and speed. replacing scope lens

ill go with the ferrothorn suggested and see what happens

Espeon- im looking for more of an offensive set on this
Item- Specs

trying to replace Gallade with a more tank-like poke, any recommendations?

Note- im more of an offensive battler so try not to seggest defensive sets unless theyre really good

Last edited:
Back