• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Removing virus that deletes fonts on startup (FIXED!)

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
  • Lately I've been trying to figure out on how to delete a certain virus/malware that causes problems. In this case, it deletes fonts whenever I'm logging back into the laptop, causing everything to be a mess until I add the fonts again, but then, this is just a temporary measure because I have to do it every time I'm logging in again.

After some personal analysis, I think it might be triggered on the process that starts when logging in/logging out (not necessarily on Start-up shortcut), so I want to ask, is there any other places where startup of some programs lie? And how to deal with this virus so that it won't start when I'm logging in anymore? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm using Windows 8.1 64-bit, btw.

Last edited:

Kai

Wayfarer
    Years
  • This doesn't seem to be caused by a virus or malware. Contact Microsoft support to see if they can help you fix the problem. If they can't than try backtracking to find what could have caused this to happen. If it might have been caused by a recent update try uninstalling the it then see if the problem persist.

Restoring your computer to an earlier time using a backup is a more destructive yet effective option that can undo most problems. Choose an adequate backup and make sure you've saved anything that will be erased on an external storage device.

Starry Windy

Years
  • The thing is... I don't have any System Restore backups of the systems recently, and I have disabled updates, so I have not initiated any updates for my Windows these days. But still, I'll try more options to fix this font problem if it's available.

EDIT: Lately I've been thinking of a certain font as a suspect (because it has the same cryptic symbol as when on startup recently), so I tried to delete it, and hope this would work.

Last edited:

Kai

Wayfarer
    Years
  • In that case you could make a backup now then update Windows 8.1 to see if the problem is resolved in the latest version of it. Make sure you've tried talking to Microsoft about the problem first.

Starry Windy

Years
  • Ok, so I searched for some other help, and after some more tinkering and a bit of Safe Mode with CMD/PowerShell adventure, and copying some part of Fonts folder that I have backuped, everything seems to be going well now. So I think the root cause might be because of problem of handling installing one of the fonts, which caused most fonts to go bonkers.

So as for now, my laptop is going back to normal, with no deletion of fonts even when logging off and restarting. Thanks Kai, for pointing out that it's not virus/malware issue :smile:

Last edited:
    Reactions: Kai
    Back