The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacks Studio Sideshow Showcase
Crystal Pokémon CRYSTAL KAIZO: The Official Sequel to Blue Kaizo

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.

View Poll Results: How Kaizo was this?
Definately Kaizo 57 49.57%
Fairly challenging 18 15.65%
Entertaining 25 21.74%
Should've put level 200+ enemies 29 25.22%
Unfair 12 10.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 30th, 2014 (12:01 PM).
the ultamite pokemon master

This game is way too hard for me, i stopped playing before getting the first badge. My Pokemon are fainting way too much, i never feel ready for the 1st gym no matter how much i train. I feel like i have to have to have Lv 20+ Pokemon just to beat the first gym.

I think this is the hardest Pokemon hack i've ever played.

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 17th, 2015 (1:28 PM).

Nice romhack, didn't find any bugs and I like that. However, this really bothers me:
      I have a level 91 Alakazam and he only learned three moves: CONFUSION, PSYBEAM and RECOVER.
      No PSYCHIC, really?
      Also, level 81 Venasaur and didn't learn SOLARBEAM.
      ?????
      Old February 17th, 2015 (1:50 PM).

Btw you forgot to add "Totally screwed up learnsets" in the hack description.
        Old February 17th, 2015 (2:33 PM).
        Mad scientist trainer

Nature: Gentle
          I think I will not play this.

Difficulty is a thing, but forcing players to grind all-day long... I just won't do that. Official releases already are a pain with grinding since the beginning, with wild Pokemon giving WAY LESS exp than trained ones...

I've seen there are many levels to get between each Champion... And having lv. 100+ mons in E4 is for me ridiculously hardcore.

Any ways, I keep some respect for the concept and I'm pretty sure it is appreciated by harcore gamers.
          Old February 17th, 2015 (4:32 PM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by d4rk View Post
            I think I will not play this.

Difficulty is a thing, but forcing players to grind all-day long... I just won't do that. Official releases already are a pain with grinding since the beginning, with wild Pokemon giving WAY LESS exp than trained ones...

I've seen there are many levels to get between each Champion... And having lv. 100+ mons in E4 is for me ridiculously hardcore.

Any ways, I keep some respect for the concept and I'm pretty sure it is appreciated by harcore gamers.
            "On paper vs. in Practice" is in full effect here.
            It might appear like a massive grind fest compared to official releases, however, as an individual who has play tested this several times, a major difference is that the official releases (at least before gen 6) never give out consistently high leveled and fully evolved pokemon to level up on in the middle to late game), and they never gave you lucky eggs at a certain point. Oh, and numerous trainers could be skipped. And you don't get much variety early on either.

One key tip to completely avoid most grinding is to catch different pokemon that may out level you, it helps a bit, and another good tip is to explore a wide variety of areas.

For example, whirl island. Many players overlook whirl islands as a place to catch wild pokemon (apart from lugia), which in this game has level 70+s, and after beating radio tower (though make sure to get past ice path first, because radio tower is higher leveled), you can buy lucky eggs, and a pond of magikarp serves as exp gains since they have been modded to give "blissey fodder levels of exp", and everyone overlooks and takes for granted ingame pokemon badge boosts, so elite 4 and post game enemies can be handled very well.

In the official games, they usually have massive level gaps with the pokemon to grind on and the enemies to fight. Not so much in this hack, which is actually the exception among many difficulty mods. (Level 7 wild pokemon in many other late games of mods, and level 30s 1st stage wild mons vs lv 57 fully evolved champion mons common in official games)

By comparison, kaizo's post gamethe lowest leveled wild mon is 99 in grass and cave, and 97 in sea, and the curve overall is steady, just make sure to fight everyone, and you'll do fine.

The major difference is dealing with strategies, just make sure to have healing items.
            and try your hardest to avoid losing money in losing battles. (A fair number of people rarely saves.) I progressed mostly without spending time grinding on wild Pokemon, so that I can get through play testing as quickly as possible. Skill level is fairly important in this game, as well as decision making, and that will be achieved way before facing the elite 4 and post game.

Gotta stop typing for a moment because phone typing is a pain.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
            Old February 19th, 2015 (1:34 PM).
            Mad scientist trainer

Nature: Gentle
              Thank you for this large explanation, even more if you wrote this from a phone.

I'm happy that you thought about grinding, and that Magikarp concept seems neat.

Maybe I'll try when I'm done with my current challenge :)

BTW (I don't know if this is spoilers or what) : Is the lv. 100 limitation still there is this game? I think no, it would be surprising.
              Old March 7th, 2015 (10:29 AM).

Hi, I played through Blue Kaizo twice and watched multiple LPs of the hack and can't wait to give Crystal Kaizo a go too.
                Thank you for making this, SinisterHoodedFigure.
                Old March 10th, 2015 (2:55 PM).

After discovering a japanese hack that restricts the use of revives during battles, I attempted to do the same to Crystal Kaizo. It works, revives, max revives, and revival herbs are disabled during battles.

Now, during a trainer battle, this displays that you won't be able to use revives during battle, making important battles, like gym leaders, have actual consequences when you losing your pokemon, making the game more difficult, and truly "Kaizo".

Unlike nuzlockes, you can still use revives outside of battle, but only outside of it, so don't forget to heal and save. Slightly worried about the post game battles, which gets really difficult, so this update may be a brief on, depending on responses.

Below is the revive being used outside of battle.

As an added bonus, if you play this update, you will have access to a PC at the end of the Goldenrod Underground path.

https://www.mediafire.com/?q3o601bvp0vmq2t

Please leave some feedback, and tell me what you think. Keep in mind that idea that inspired this came from Touhoumon Lunatic, where revives have been disabled during battle, so please let me know.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
                  Old May 30th, 2015 (6:10 PM).

Nature: Serious
                    When do you evolve Poliwhirl into Politoed?
                    Old June 3rd, 2015 (11:02 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by 2155720 View Post
                      When do you evolve Poliwhirl into Politoed?
                      I believe level 37, the same as how slowpoke evolves into slowbro. Good luck. I'm curious, how far have you gone?

Old June 7th, 2015 (8:59 AM).
                      exile

Nature: Adamant
                      at what level does onix evolve into steelix?

paired to kaori & vrai
                      Old June 18th, 2015 (5:42 PM).

Nature: Serious
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by SinisterHoodedFigure View Post
                        I'm curious, how far have you gone?
                        I'm at Morty now. The puzzle to get to him is a pain if you don't memorize the path well.

I haven't beat him yet because he counters almost every Pokemon.

Here's my team, all at Level 45:
                        Ampharos
                        Xatu
                        Typhlosion
                        Pupitar
                        Politoed
                        Exeggutor
                        Old June 20th, 2015 (4:49 AM).

@Exile - lvl 70.

Is there any pokemon with false swipe?
                          Old June 29th, 2015 (11:24 PM).
                          Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
                            Doesn't giving each boss a shiny Pokémon reduces the difficulty a bit? In GSC the best shinies were quite a bit below the max potential of each Pokémon.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
                            Old June 30th, 2015 (7:35 AM).
                            SinisterHoodedFigure SinisterHoodedFigure is offline

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
                              Doesn't giving each boss a shiny Pokémon reduces the difficulty a bit? In GSC the best shinies were quite a bit below the max potential of each Pokémon.
                              Tbh, the shiny dvs used are still actually higher than the original (apart from champions, but don't worry about that) And there are some shiny dvs that lead to a certain hidden power coverage (which is essential for certain bosses). I find coverage more important than max stats in bosses. And due to the games programming, you really can't put perfect dvs anyway; the bytes will cancel instead.

Does the shiny dvs reduce the difficulty? Only superficially and microscopically. There is monumentally more to this particular game's difficulty than simply max dvs, that you won't find in most difficulty mods.

And the shinies do make bosses stick out from every trainer apart from the poke maniacs (the only trainers in the game that acknowledges shinies and loves rare Pokemon, but they are much weaker than gym leaders)

Trust me, shiny dvs don't really make Crystal Kaizo any easier. Try it out, and you will see.

Old June 30th, 2015 (7:17 PM).
                              Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by SinisterHoodedFigure View Post
                                Tbh, the shiny dvs used are still actually higher than the original (apart from champions, but don't worry about that) And there are some shiny dvs that lead to a certain hidden power coverage (which is essential for certain bosses). I find coverage more important than max stats in bosses. And due to the games programming, you really can't put perfect dvs anyway; the bytes will cancel instead.

Does the shiny dvs reduce the difficulty? Only superficially and microscopically. There is monumentally more to this particular game's difficulty than simply max dvs, that you won't find in most difficulty mods.

And the shinies do make bosses stick out from every trainer apart from the poke maniacs (the only trainers in the game that acknowledges shinies and loves rare Pokemon, but they are much weaker than gym leaders)

Trust me, shiny dvs don't really make Crystal Kaizo any easier. Try it out, and you will see.
                                Well, in this case it's a great touch! Just a nitpick from mine.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
                                Old July 21st, 2015 (8:07 PM).
                                SinisterHoodedFigure SinisterHoodedFigure is offline

NEWEST UPDATE!

Team Rocket Executives and Scientists have the Team Rocket Battle music instead of the regular johto trainer battle music. This was one of the most difficult edits to make, but I think its worth it, since this was a glaring oversight in the original GSC.

Other edits includes:
                                  -Purchasable Ethers, starting from Goldenrod. This will make long distance traveling more bearable, and the cost is respectable.
                                  -One Rocket Executive had a replacement, fitting in the more "Fortress" theme.
                                  -Route 29 has some shortcuts so that you can get by the mystery egg sidequest much faster.
                                  -You can use bicycles in the goldenrod underground, speeding up your progress.
                                  -Team Rocket's hideout also allows you to use Bicycles to speed things up.
                                  -Beedrill's "Dream eater" has been removed (I don't remember how that was there in the first place...).
                                  -The violet city ledge has an opening now, for quicker access to the Sprout Tower. Also protip, check out ruins of the alph before attempting Sprout tower, and get the hidden items.
                                  - Some minor graphic updates.
                                  I strongly encourage everyone to update if they haven't already.

Old August 4th, 2015 (6:54 PM). Edited August 4th, 2015 by JJK.
                                  The chase is about to begin...

Nature: Quirky
                                    Hello, and first of all, congratulations. I was seeking a challenging Pokémon playthrough, having thoroughly enjoyed ShinyGold X way back in the day. This is, well, quite a bit over that, but what I was seeking nonetheless. I'm not a fan of Nuzlockes or anything that reduces my freedom; I much rather have inherent difficulty, and be given freedom to tackle it.

That said, I do have some criticisms related to just that. I have just finished a playthrough of Long War, an XCOM: Enemy Within mod that adds an enormous amount of depth to the game, beyond its difficulty and, obviously, length. Someone I entirely agree summarized the mod as such, comparing the base game to "living your whole life with just one leg": "Similarly, Long War brings to you all of the shiny toys, fits you with a brand new, top of the line, prosthetic leg and tells you that you must now run a 100m dash. As you turn to leave, it shoots your good leg with a Plasma Pistol, crits for 7, and you die."

Playing both at the same time, I couldn't help but make some comparisons on how both handle increased difficulty.

And what I feel from it is Crystal Kaizo is much a rawer experience, increasing the difficulty massively but not giving the player many tools to tackle it in return. It's a valid approach, but I'm just not sure it's the best. Granted, there are some significant ones, most notably purchasable stones and trade evos. And there are more Pokémon available early on, but... frankly, not enough, or at least not as good in my opinion. Granted, I am VERY picky when it comes to my team and won't train Pokémon I don't feel will stick with me for long - which is the reason I am currently in Goldenrod with a highly unbalanced team of a Ty, Amphy, Ursaring, Pupitar, and Scyther (and even then, I don't think I'll retain all of them). But one could do with a little more quality, if not variety, still. For example, been unsuccessfully checking every pond for a Staryu or Horsea, despite the unlikeliness of them being available with an Old Rod.

Personally, if one is to tackle a challenge like the one presented by Crystal Kaizo, I would equally add tools to allow the player to make their team the best it could possibly be. Allow them to bring a big gun to a big fight. I would thus add a plethora of purchasable TMs, in order to allow the player the same deep customization options available to the AI team. Similarly, I highly reduce the price of Vitamins, since EV allocation is important in a challenge like this.

Another issue deals with the route rearrangement: while it succeeds in its attempt to make it more challenging, it sometimes feels far too artificial. It makes me feel fenced in (sometimes literally, notably around Goldenrod). This is as much a gameplay issue as it is an aesthetic one: the Union Cave feels completely fine, as do forested areas or the Sprout Tower, given its based on the Tin Tower. However, Routes 34 and 35, as well as the National Park, just feel like they weave about for no reason. Just my two cents.

I am also rather weary about Kanto. I rate discovering Kanto was playable in the original Gold the single best moment in my gaming career, all that post game goodness. But with levels reaching 100 within Johto, I have to wonder how much will Kanto bring to the table in comparison.

Regardless, I congratulate you, it's been a blast. I'll just leave a few questions:

1- Is there a location Dex for the game somewhere? Couldn't find one myself.
                                    2- Are the movepools themselves the same as vanilla?
                                    3- Would move buffs implemented in latter generations be possible? I imagine not considering you kept a "pure" GSC experience, but, say, something like Fury Cutter's buff from 10 to 40 base damage would be fair even in that environment, I believe.
                                    Old August 11th, 2015 (11:47 PM). Edited September 6th, 2015 by DragoDark.

Nature: Timid
                                      Thanks for this hack, I'm playing it and currently trying to beat the first gym leader :S
                                      Btw, I found a little bug here in the Sprout Tower:
                                      Spoiler:

EDIT: found two others minor bugs. The first one is gibberish text in Goldenrod City's Pokémon Center's second floor. The second one is that when you lose in Goldenrod City's checkpoint you don't respawn in the right place in front of the door.

Spoiler:

EDIT 2: Before Ecruteak City when you jump on this you land on the guy who's there on Sunday:
                                      Spoiler:
                                      Old October 25th, 2015 (5:00 PM). Edited October 27th, 2015 by LoneSword.

Hey so, first off, I love this hack. I like the idea of not only skipping all the garbage with crappy moves like Growl and Tail Whip, but also that trainers are a serious challenge. Having a balanced team and being ready for surprise moves (like every trained Raichu in the world knowing Surf... :|) definitely forces me to flex my Pokemon skills and I'm having a great time. That and the ability to actually catch each and every one of all 251 Pokemon is damn cool. Kabuto and Omanyte in the Ruins of Alph?? Whaaaat!

That being said, though, my team's at about level 36 - most of my Pokemon have reached their final stages, and I'm worried about only one thing. After gaining over thirty levels, my Typhlosion has learned only a single move: Flame Wheel, and at a quite distant level 31. And he didn't learn Quick Attack either, like he did in the original. In a hack where Totodile apparently learns Crunch at like, level 10, and Chikorita starts with Razor Leaf, I can't help but feel that Typhlosion's moveset is kinda nerfed. I also saw another post on this thread about someone's Alakazam learning only three moves...would it be true to say that maybe some of the movesets are incomplete?

I'm highly curious because Typhlosion is one of my favorites, and I'd hate to see him learn next to nothing at all. Especially since he is a starter, and I'd figure he'd be outfitted with some of the best moves for his type. Will he learn anything early, or am I going to see Flamethrower at level 59?

Anyway, the hack's great, tons of fun, just a little worried about movesets. Hoping to hear some good news!
                                        Old November 12th, 2015 (2:23 AM).

Would you mind telling the list of revamped pokemon and moves?

I remember seeing notes on E Speed having 100 BP, and I heard Gligar had Gliscor stats or something
                                          Old January 14th, 2016 (6:03 PM). Edited January 15th, 2016 by Ray H..

What level do all trade evolution Pokemon evolve?
                                            Old February 9th, 2016 (4:12 AM).

Hi guys, is there any guide/summare of changes?
                                              E.G. i saw someoene mentioning the magikarp lake pond...where is that?
                                              Old March 2nd, 2016 (4:02 AM).

Good job, I really like the high difficulty of this hack, although it constantly makes me furious as hell^^ But I have 2 questions:
                                                1. Will Typhlosion EVER learn Flamethrower? It's already at level 77 and its best fire move is still Fire Punch O_o; Maybe I evolved Quilava too soon?
                                                2. Did you change the stats of some Pokemon? My Typhlosion wasn't able to one-hit the Tangela around Mahogany Town until level 70, despite their bad special defense and HP base.
                                                Old April 14th, 2016 (11:28 PM).

Fantastic job with this to whomever made it. I've been a pokemon game fan for years, only the first 2 gens though and this is amazing almost like a new game! It is EXTREMELY hard though even for a long time player. Learning about save states made some of the dungeons bareable. But to be honest I dont think i could have gotten through the game without cheating at some point, whether it was buying full restores early on or anything like that. I noticed hp ups don't actually raise any hp, was that done on purpose? I think the reason I got so frustrated is because i've gotten used to super speed on emulation and you cant rush through this game. I think if I was playing it for the first time your level increases would be perfect. It makes you spend more time in the grass for sure it would help find all the pokemon. Ive gotten to jasmine, but im cheating so i guess it doesnt count lol. But every video ive seen on youtube they cheat and buy full restores and max revives too! You need them in this game every trainer uses them too its brutal. I like the redesigns and the challenge though its a job well done.

Quick Reply