• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team-Building Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • Okay, I'll get the Venusaur, and the Talonflame. Any other suggestions to which Pokemon I shall use? I am thinking of Ampharos, it will combat water types that would be used against the Ninetails and Talonflame, but Venusaur is already there for that. Which other Pokemon should I get for me team for the best results?

Regular Ampharos is a big no because whatever it does is outclassed by its Mega Evolution, and your Mega slot is already taken up.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2016
    Hi guys I posted previously about trying to figure out a team to start ev training I've come up with 2 team can you give a vote on which you like ?

Team 1
    Talonflame
    Tyranitar
    Slowbro
    Mega Altria
    Serperior
    Gengar

Team 2
    Talonflame
    Tyranitar
    Starmie
    Mega venusaur
    Garchomp
    Clefable

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    Starting out online: Is this a good team to start with?

To start out, the game i have is Pokemon Y.

I want to start battling online. I've been searching around online for pokemon who are really good.
    These are the pokemon that i have found and was thinking of making a team with them:
    Garchomp
    Kangaskan
    Charizard or Talonflame
    Wash Rotom (I already have one so its not going to be a problem to get one)
    Greninja
    Aiegslash

I know this team has a few overlapping parts and weaknesses and that is why ive come to the forum for help.
    The other pokemon i was thinking of using were:
    gengar
    gardevoir
    Hawlucha

I can look up online the best movesets so that isnt a problem but i was just wondering if this was a good team to start out with. Thank you in advance

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    Hi all. Trying my hand at a Sandstorm team. Never really tried a themed team before so any help would be appreciated.

Tyranitar
    Item: Lum Berry
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Sand Stream
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Dragon Dance

252 Attack
    4 Special Defense
    252 Speed

Hippowdon
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Impish
    Ice Fang
    Earthquake
    Stealth Rock
    Slack Off

176 HP
    252 Defense
    80 Special Defense

Gliscor
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Toxic Heal
    Knock Off
    Earthquake
    Toxic
    Protect

236 HP
    100 Defense
    172 Speed

Excadrill
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Sand Rush
    Iron Head
    Earthquake
    Swords Dance
    Rapid Spin

252 Attack
    4 Defense
    252 Speed

Not sure. Maybe three ground types is too much? Maybe everyone with Earthquake is too much? Maybe not? Who would complement this team well? I noticed two fighting weaknesses, two ice weaknesses, and four water weaknesses.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hi all. Trying my hand at a Sandstorm team. Never really tried a themed team before so any help would be appreciated.

Tyranitar
    Item: Lum Berry
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Dragon Dance

252 Attack
    4 Special Defense
    252 Speed

Hippowdon
    Ice Fang
    Earthquake
    Stealth Rock
    Slack Off

176 HP
    252 Defense
    80 Special Defense

Gliscor
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Toxic Heal
    Knock Off
    Earthquake
    Toxic
    Protect

236 HP
    100 Defense
    172 Speed

Excadrill
    Iron Head
    Earthquake
    Swords Dance
    Rapid Spin

252 Attack
    4 Defense
    252 Speed

Not sure. Maybe three ground types is too much? Maybe everyone with Earthquake is too much? Maybe not? Who would complement this team well? I noticed two fighting weaknesses, two ice weaknesses, and four water weaknesses.
    A very common mistake when making sand teams is loading that team up with nothing but Rock, Ground, and Steel Pokemon. This is a bad one because those three types have relatively common weaknesses.

Dragon Dance Tyranitar has to be Jolly and utilize its Mega Evolution as Adamant regular Tyranitar is still slow even at +1 Speed. Yes, it gets to outspeed base 100s after a Dragon Dance, but it fails to outspeed Garchomp and anything else faster than it (for reference, 221 Speed at level 100, which goes to 331 after a Dragon Dance). Jolly Mega Tyranitar is at 295 Speed at level 100 and hits 442 Speed after a Dragon Dance. Setting up with Dragon Dance only once or twice is enough; don't get too greedy with boosts:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Stone Edge
    -Crunch/Ice Punch
    -Superpower/Fire Punch
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Tyranitarite

Excadrill is a good teammate for Tyranitar to have because of Sand Rush, but be aware of the shared weaknesses:
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rock Slide
    -Rapid Spin/Swords Dance
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

Celebi is an excellent teammate for Tyranitar and Excadrill, as it handles Breloom, which is problematic for Excadrill and Tyranitar because of Mach Punch, very nicely:
    -Giga Drain
    -Recover
    -Baton Pass/Thunder Wave
    -Stealth Rock
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/156 Def/84 SDef/16 Spe

Swords Dance Talonflame or Choice Scarf Heatran are good teammates for Heatran as they can clean up late-game after Tyranitar has done its work:

Talonflame:
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird/Acrobatics
    -Roost
    Item: Sharp Beak/Sky Plate/none
    Ability: Gale Wings

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Brave Bird/Acrobatics
    -Taunt/Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/none
    Ability: Gale Wings

Heatran:
    -Overheat/Fire Blast
    -Flash Cannon
    -Earth Power/Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Stone Edge/Ancient Power
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Swords Dance Diggersby or Garchomp are also good teammates, as they can lure in Tyranitar's counters and weaken them:

Diggersby:
    -Swords Dance
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -Quick Attack
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
    Ability: Huge Power

Garchomp:
    -Swords Dance
    -Dragon Claw/Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Substitute/Stone Edge
    EVs: 12 HP/244 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Salac Berry/Leftovers/Lum Berry

Note: these are examples

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    Doubles Team

Hey everyone! Just finish building my single team, and I am quite happy about how it turn out. It might not win every battle, but it's a team I am proud of. Thanks to everyone who help me with this team, either advice or helping me with trade. You really help me out a lot!! Now it's time to build a doubles team! But I don't have a clue how to build one! I need some advice on where to start, such as good moved to have. Any advice will be great. Thanks!

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Okay. Any suggestions on what to use? Sorry if I'm being a hassle.
    Replace Mega Absol with a Mega that can take advantage of the sun, such as Houndoom. Mega Charizard X could work too. Be sure to have a Rapid Spinner or Defogger. One of the Latis would fit in well and provide you with a check to multiple threats like Keldeo. Latias w/ Healing Wish is great to use with your sweepers.
    Team 1 is severely weak to Weavile, so I'd use team 2.
    What battle format will you play in? Nintendo's Battle Spot Singles or Smogon's OU?
    Hey everyone! Just finish building my single team, and I am quite happy about how it turn out. It might not win every battle, but it's a team I am proud of. Thanks to everyone who help me with this team, either advice or helping me with trade. You really help me out a lot!! Now it's time to build a doubles team! But I don't have a clue how to build one! I need some advice on where to start, such as good moved to have. Any advice will be great. Thanks!
    What battle format will you play in? Battle Spot Doubles or VGC? Also, Smogon's Pokedex is a good resource for movesets.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    Battle Spot is what I am looking at, I am no where near ready for the VGC! I will take a look at move sets, but what Pokemon would you subject?

RawrMonkey

bloop
    Years
  • Battle Spot is what I am looking at, I am no where near ready for the VGC! I will take a look at move sets, but what Pokemon would you subject?

An easy to use and highly consistent team would be a CHALK team:
    Cresselia, Heatran, Amoonguss, Landorus-T, Kangaskhan, and filler.

It's fairly boring but it'll help you get through BS doubles so you can witness what others are using to feed you some ideas. Look into the rankings and statistics to help you choose which Pokemon are best and what you should focus against.

I'll add on to Wolf's links and give you another viability rankings list. This comes from a more VGC oriented community and this link was relevant back when VGC15 was basically BS doubles. Rankings should never be viewed as something set in stone since everyone has their own opinions and play styles but both lists should give you a general idea of what the meta is like.

Regarding movesets, BS doubles is somewhat fast paced so going with anything that involves stall or hazards is highly discouraged. Focus mainly around STAB and Protect with utility-based (Knock off, Power Up Punch) or 4x effective (Ice beam, Hidden Powers) coverage moves.

The meta got a little stale near the end of VGC15, but the competitive scene has at least shifted to BS special allowing BS doubles to have some leg room for creative and fun teams.

PokeHunterBlack

Bounty Hunter
    Years
  • Ninja/Assassin Online Team?

Hi, I recently got into online battles, and I am trying to build a Ninja/Assassin themed team. Pokemon I have so far are;

Greninja (Obviously);
    Water Shuriken, Surf, Quick attack and Aerial Ace

Sylveon (Who would suspect this little devil), which has choice specs, ability is pixilate, nature is Modest
    HP-294
    Att-126
    Def-178
    Sp Att-294
    Sp Def-249
    Speed-131
    Hyper Voice, Moon Blast, Psyshock, Shadow Ball

I am thinking Zoroark, but not too shoure (Can't spell...). If anyone can help with Pokemon choices and movesets that would be great.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2016
    I wanted to do kingler sweep team, but im a real noob when it comes to team building. I picked a few baton passers: scizor, gliscor, zapdose and i was of adding 2 suicide entry hazzards, i was thinking of them should have electroweb, just help ensure kingler will be faster
    Ps: for the baton pass pokes i using off smogon, so same stats, moves and ect

RawrMonkey

bloop
    Years
  • Hi, I recently got into online battles, and I am trying to build a Ninja/Assassin themed team. Pokemon I have so far are;

Greninja (Obviously);
    Water Shuriken, Surf, Quick attack and Aerial Ace

Ew.. I'm going to assume this is a Protean Greninja. If it's not.. You need a new Greninja.

Scrap Quick Attack and Aerial Ace immediately.
    Greninja is very versatile since it can go Special, Mixed, or Physical.
    Max Speed and max whichever offense you're mainly using.
    Shadow Sneak is a much better priority move.
    Some other moves: Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Gunk Shot, Low Kick, Rock Slide, Grass Knot, Scald, U-Turn.

Sylveon (Who would suspect this little devil), which has choice specs, ability is pixilate, nature is Modest
    HP-294
    Att-126
    Def-178
    Sp Att-294
    Sp Def-249
    Speed-131
    Hyper Voice, Moon Blast, Psyshock, Shadow Ball

I am thinking Zoroark, but not too shoure (Can't spell...). If anyone can help with Pokemon choices and movesets that would be great.

A little more info on level, IVs and EVs would be helpful in Sylveon's case.

Theme teams are fun, but they should be restricted to just fun. So put any Pokemon you feel like, find a standard moveset off Smogon, and you should be fine and happy.

PokeHunterBlack

Bounty Hunter
    Years
  • Ew.. I'm going to assume this is a Protean Greninja. If it's not.. You need a new Greninja.
    Yeah, It's an ordinary Greninja. Do you know where I can get a Protean Froakie?

[/QUOTE]Scrap Quick Attack and Aerial Ace immediately.
    Some other moves: Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Gunk Shot, Low Kick, Rock Slide, Grass Knot, Scald, U-Turn.[/QUOTE]
    I was definitely going to change his move set but since he is only LV. 45 (I think) I kept those.

[/QUOTE]A little more info on level, IVs and EVs would be helpful in Sylveon's case.[/QUOTE]
    Unfortunetly, I got it in a trade from a friend, so I don't know it's IVs or EVs, and it is LV. 87. It was supposed to be a special Att sweeper. It has helped me a lot so far too.

I am planning on adding Bisharp, Noivern, and Weavile, to hopefully add a bit of type coverage. If you have a suggestion for my last member, please share.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Yeah, It's an ordinary Greninja. Do you know where I can get a Protean Froakie?

Scrap Quick Attack and Aerial Ace immediately.
    Some other moves: Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Gunk Shot, Low Kick, Rock Slide, Grass Knot, Scald, U-Turn.
    I was definitely going to change his move set but since he is only LV. 45 (I think) I kept those.
    A little more info on level, IVs and EVs would be helpful in Sylveon's case.[/QUOTE]
    Unfortunetly, I got it in a trade from a friend, so I don't know it's IVs or EVs, and it is LV. 87. It was supposed to be a special Att sweeper. It has helped me a lot so far too.

I am planning on adding Bisharp, Noivern, and Weavile, to hopefully add a bit of type coverage. If you have a suggestion for my last member, please share.[/QUOTE]
    Protean Frogadier are available in some Water Friend Safaris in X/Y. Ask for one in the Friend Safari exchange.

Greninja benefits most from being mixed because it gained Gunk Shot in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. This is an important move for it, as in X/Y, Greninja struggled to deal with healthy Fairy Pokemon:
    -Hydro Pump/Low Kick
    -Ice Beam
    -Gunk Shot
    -Dark Pulse/Hidden Power (Fire)/Extrasensory/Grass Knot
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 40 Atk/216 SAtk/252 Spe
    Ability: Protean

Remember this Greninja is best used in Battle Spot formats (3v3 battles).

RawrMonkey

bloop
    Years
  • Yeah, It's an ordinary Greninja. Do you know where I can get a Protean Froakie?

[Quoting Mess :p]

I am planning on adding Bisharp, Noivern, and Weavile, to hopefully add a bit of type coverage. If you have a suggestion for my last member, please share.

PlatinumDude already mentioned Friend Safari but it wouldn't hurt to ask in a trade request either. I'm sure there are plenty of spare Froakies lying around by now whether they're competitive or breedjects.

Looking at your other choices, your bulkiest Pokemon is Sylveon and I'm pretty sure it has imperfect stats. At best it's IVs are 31/26/31/31/21/25 with 124 EVs leftover, going by what info you provided. Doesn't look too bad, I know, but if you ever messed around with a stat calc you could see how every "insignificant" stat point could point the damage roll your way.

Now going back to bulk, you have none. So maybe a Scizor? It would give you a mega and I guess it looks assassin-y.

PokeHunterBlack

Bounty Hunter
    Years
  • PlatinumDude already mentioned Friend Safari but it wouldn't hurt to ask in a trade request either. I'm sure there are plenty of spare Froakies lying around by now whether they're competitive or breedjects.

Looking at your other choices, your bulkiest Pokemon is Sylveon and I'm pretty sure it has imperfect stats. At best it's IVs are 31/26/31/31/21/25 with 124 EVs leftover, going by what info you provided. Doesn't look too bad, I know, but if you ever messed around with a stat calc you could see how every "insignificant" stat point could point the damage roll your way.

Now going back to bulk, you have none. So maybe a Scizor? It would give you a mega and I guess it looks assassin-y.
    Thank you for the idea, I will definitely consider it. I do have a scyther I could do a quick trade with too. can you suggest a moveset for it too?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Thank you for the idea, I will definitely consider it. I do have a scyther I could do a quick trade with too. can you suggest a moveset for it too?

Scizor must always run Bullet Punch + Technician, as this combination is what makes it good:
    -Swords Dance
    -U-turn/Superpower/Knock Off
    -Bullet Punch
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/44 Atk/16 Def/200 SDef
    Item: Scizorite
    Ability: Technician

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Bug Bite
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower
    Item: Life Orb/Scizorite

or
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower
    -Knock Off/Pursuit
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -U-turn/Superpower
    -Bullet Punch
    -Defog
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/60 Def/200 SDef

PokeHunterBlack

Bounty Hunter
    Years
  • Scizor must always run Bullet Punch + Technician, as this combination is what makes it good:
    -Swords Dance
    -U-turn/Superpower/Knock Off
    -Bullet Punch
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/44 Atk/16 Def/200 SDef

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Bug Bite
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower
    Item: Life Orb/Scizorite

or
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower
    -Knock Off/Pursuit
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -U-turn/Superpower
    -Bullet Punch
    -Defog
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/60 Def/200 SDef
    Thanks for the movesets I will definitely try them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back