• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon Anthology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    Here is chapter seventeen of the Kinsei Saga, and the seventeenth overall chapter of Pokémon Anthology.

Chapter 17: Tower of Terror

The morning following York's defeat, the two were in their hotel room. Sydney and her Pokémon sat on her bed, watching TV. York was on his bed, his Pokédex at his side, and holding his PokéNav.

The boy searched around for places he could train, and he had his Pokédex to further develop his training regimen.

"How do you feel, York? About your first loss." Sydney looked over at him.

"You win some, you lose some." He replied. "It's better this way, don't you think?"

"Maybe. You're really going to take what she said to heart?" York nodded and went back to his search. "Well, call me when you find something."

Approximately a half-hour later, York shouted 'eureka!'. A proud Sydney shifted herself to face York. He shifted himself and beamed at her.

"I think I have an idea! I'll make Colonel more agile, Dollie more Resilient, and improve Star's skill with Double Team!" He pointed to the map on his PokéNav. "This is where we're going!"

"The Tower of Terror?" She looked at him skeptically. "If anything, you'd find Ghost-Types there. You're going against dragons."

"I know, but details, details. There's a tour going on today, Syd! Any and all trainers are allowed to train as they please, and it lasts all weekend!"

She found his words unpleasant. "That sounds… controversial."

"Well, IHPHA hasn't gotten it outlawed, yet. What do you say, Syd? Want to go?"

She began rubbing her arm nervously. "You know how I am with places like that! The name alone creeps me out…"

"There's no need to worry!" He guaranteed. "There'll be other people there!" He pointed to himself with his thumb. "I'll be there to keep you safe, anyway!"

The girl eased up. "You're sure that nothing is going to go wrong?"

"Of course!"

She lifted herself off of the bed. "Then, I'm willing to give it a try. Let's go check out that tour, okay?"

The sun had set and the moon was high. The chirps of Kricketune and Kricketot filled the air. The street lights illuminated Viel City while lights from the insides of buildings glowed bright yellow.

Just outside of the city to the northeast was a large, aging tower made of dark colored bricks. Vines were growing rampantly all over the building, and several bricks had fallen out of place.

A group of fourteen people, including York and Sydney were standing outside of the tall structure. All of the people in the group had a large backpack on with a sleeping back on to of it. A canteen was strapped onto each of the bags.

At the front of the group was a young man and woman. They were both dressed lieadventurers. A Litwick sat (or stood) atop her head.

"Welcome, everyone, to the Tower of Terror!" The young woman tried to be menacing when she spoke, but only got a laugh out of the crowd.

The man pushed the young woman's hat down on her head. "Excuse my partner here. Like she said," He gestured behind himself. "This it the Tower of Terror. This weekend, we'll be staying here."

Sydney's hand shot up. She was gripping York's sleeve. The young man gave her a curious look.

"You're alright when we're being held hostage, but freak out about this?"

The young woman fixed her hat and happily pointed as Sydney. "Yes, do you have a question?"

"There's no chance that something... bad will happen this weekend, right?"

The Litwick slapped its little stomach and let out a confident cry. In response, the young woman put her hands on her hips, balled in fists.

"Like Litwick says, we'll be alright! If any Ghost Pokémon show up, Litwick will act as an ambassador!"

"Will the stuff in these bags last us?" A large man lifted his shoulders, making the bag bounce slightly.

"As long as you don't eat and drink constantly, it'll last." Said the male guide.

A girl a few years older than York and Sydney raised her hand. "If we need to use the bathroom?"

The two tour guides remained silent. The people in the group shared concerned looks when they didn't answer.

"We have a protocol for that, but... " The male guide tugged at his shirt. "It'd be a little awkward talking about using the john with a big group like this, huh? If someone needs to go, tell one of us. We'll deal with it then."

He cleared his throat and put a shiny gold key into the rusted keyhole and turned it. A creaking sound came from the door. He put his hands on the handles.

"My name is Brenda,: Said the young woman. "And my partner is John! We welcome you, ladies and gentlemen…" She spread her arms wide as the doors opened. "To the Tower of Terror!"

The group was walking through one of the corridors of the decaying tower. Sydney cowered as they moved, clinging onto York, who was perfectly fine.

"Why are you so paranoid?" Asked York. "We're in the middle of the group. Nothing can reach us."

"You guys can probably tell," Brenda turned towards the group and continued walking backwards. "The Tower of Terror is home to all sorts of Ghost-Type Pokémon. But there's no need to worry. Most of them aren't dangerous!"

"To elaborate, they might screw with you, but they won't try to hurt you." Added John. "A lot of them are just jokesters."

The light from the small torch John used as a light flickered and momentarily went out. For the short while it was pitch black, there were several screams. Some from men and other women.

When the torch lit again, Brenda and John were both standing as if nothing had happened.

"That's exactly what we mean!" Exclaimed the young woman. "Let's keep going, everyone!"

Some time later, the group had come to a large room that had been cleared. John and Brenda set up a campfire and the others laid out their sleeping bags. They sat on their, circled around the campfire. Several of them were eating snacks from their large backpacks.

"Now, it's time for ghost stories!" Brenda shouted. "John, would you like to begin?"

"I'd rather not. Why not one of our guests?"

York raised his hand. "I don't have one, but I know someone who does." He took Dextera out of his bag. "Dextera, I need to you tell me a Pokémon ghost story.

The Pokédex searched, and a short while later, began to speak.

"The title of the following ghost story is 'The Mummy'. It wasn't too long ago, in a tower not unlike this one. A group of teenagers were going to stay the night in the tower. "

"At first, all was going well. Until one of the friends noticed that someone went missing. They went to look for them, but one by one, they disappeared. Before each disappeared, the lights would go off, and when they went back on, the group lost one."

"It didn't take long for this mysterious force to reduce their numbers to two of their original count: nearly a dozen."

As the final two were searching, they noticed a Banette near a corner. It was beckoning them. Thinking it would help lead them to their friends, they followed the Pokémon."

"As they were walking, the Banette walked into a wall. From a shadow at the end of the hall, a Cofragrigus emerged."

"It opened its coffin body, and ghastly black hands shot from the void behind the doors. They grabbed one of the two and dragged it inside of the sarcophagus. It disappeared back into the shadow from which it emerged. The one who remained attempted to chase after it, but ran into a wall."

"Now alone, the final teen frantically ran about, calling the names of their friends. Their cries attracted unwanted attention, and the Banette appeared again. Even though it lead to them encountering the Cof@grigus, they were desperate and followed it once again."

"The Banette led them to a pitch black corridor and turned around. A Cof@grigus emerged once again. The teen tried to run, but when they turned, the Banette was there. They felt something grab them and looked down. They saw the hands that grabbed their friend."

"They felt their feet drag along the ground and struggle, but resistance was futile. Darkness soon filled their vision as the doors of the Cof@grigus closed."

"When they awoke, they saw a large room, with shelf upon shelf of mummies, wrapped tightly in bandages and stacked neatly next to each other. They tried to move, but found that they were unable to do so. They looked down and saw that they themselves were covered in bandages."

"They saw Cof@grigus in front of them, more bandages in its hands. It continued to wrap them around. As it did, they screamed for help. Soon, their mouth was covered and screams muffled. More and more of their face was covered, until their eyes were and all went black."

"The sight of a grinning Cof@grigus wrapping bandages around them in a room full of mummies was the last thing the teen ever saw."

Several members of the group were genuinely scared by the story, Sydney included, who was tightly gripping York's arm. He, on the other hand, was unfazed.

Brenda clapped her hands together! "That was a nice story! Sounds pretty realistic too, don't you think , John?"

He nodded in agreement. "A bit too realistic, maybe." He looked around at the guests. "So, want to keep going, or have you had all enough ghost stories in a ghost infested tower for one night?"

"I, for one, just want to go to bed." Said a cowering Sydney.

Several of the others agreed. They all climbed inside of their sleeping bags, and waited for the night to pass until Saturday morning, when they continued their little excursion in the Tower of Terror.

York awoke to the sound of a scream. He darted up in his sleeping bag and looked around. Sydney was standing on her sleeping bag, absolutely horrified. She was staring intently looking at something.

He followed her eyes. She was staring at a sleeping bag, which was empty. The others looked confused; John and Brenda very concerned.

"That's weird." John walked over to the bag and felt it. "It should be warm, but it's not. They've been gone a while."

"What happened to them?" Asked one of the guests.

"You don't think that ghost story was-"

"There's no need to say that!" Shouted Brenda. She put on a smile. "They just decided to go on a walk."

"Yeah, right! Who'd want to go on a walk in a place like this on their own?"

"He has a point." Said York, still in his sleeping bag. "Horror movie logic dictates and all who wander alone die. I don't watch a lot of movies, but I know that."

John looked around the room. There was only one person missing. Even so, he recounted everyone, one by one. His face grew pale when he finished. "Hold on a second. There were twelve people with us. There are only ten present."

"Ten?" Sydney began quivering and hugged herself. "Wouldn't that mean someone disappeared before we set up camp?"

The large man glared at the two guides. John glared back at him.

"We all need to calm down for a second." York announced, standing up. "I know two of us went missing, but arguing isn't going to fix anything. John, Brenda, do either of you know if there are Cof@grigus living here?"

"You're actually suggesting that the ghost story is actually happening?!"

York nodded. "This tower is full of Ghost-Types, and the story had Ghost-Types snatching people. If there are Cof@grigus here, that's the only explanation."

John and Brenda had a short conversation before speaking.

"John and I have seen several Pokémon during our visits here, but Cof@grigus or Yamask has never been part of the list."

York took out Dextera. "Is there anyway for a Ghost-Type to kidnap a person?"

The small blue face appeared in the corner, imitating a yawn.

"Good morning, master. That's quite the way to start the day. Something bad must have happened. While they can touch living beings, the only ways a Ghost-Type could kidnap someone, without the victim easily escaping, would be to either store them inside of themselves or take their soul. Are their any bodies around?"

"No, just an empty sleeping bag."

"Then it is likely the work of a Cof@grigus."

"How could we get them out?"

"There is the more safe yet difficult method and the more dangerous, yet easier method. If you somehow follow the Cofagirgus without losing it and find where it stores its mummies, you can free the victims. However, if you allow yourself to be captured and somehow escape the wrappings, you can fight back and free the victims if you defeat the Cof@grigus."

Sydney waddled over to York. "What does it do with the mummies?"

"It is widely believed that Cof@grigus kidnap people to use them as trophies. The more mummies one has, the more skilled it is. Some theorize that the bandages a Cof@grigus' makes mummies with are linked to its life force. When that life force is depleted, rather when Cof@grigus is defeated in battle, those bandages automatically unravel. Whether or not this is true is unknown."

"Thanks, Dextera." York put the Pokédex back in his pocket. "I think that's our best bet, then." The group circled around him. "Either beat the crap out of a Cof@grigus and hope the people can find their way out, or have someone act as bait."

"There's something we're not thinking about." One of the female guests stepped forward. "In the story, a Banette drew the characters to where Cof@grigus got them. What would happen here?"

Everyone turned their eyes to John and Brenda.

Brenda looked at John then the group. "We haven't seen any Banette or Shuppet either. I think I know what kind of Pokémon might help a Cof@grigus in kidnapping, though."

John picked up where she left off. "Wild Litwick often leech off of the life of others to provide themselves sustenance. It would make sense for a wild Litwick, which could be mistaken for Brenda's, to lead someone astray, right to a Cof@grigus after they've had their fill of the person's energy."

"So we don't trust any Litwick unless it's sitting on Brenda's head?"

"It'd be safest that way." Said John.

"How should we handle this?" Split up or go together?"

"I don't think it matters. Someone got scooped yesterday and we didn't notice. Same thing during the night. They must just, like disappear or something before Cof@grigus gets them. Doesn't matter if we go in groups."

York sighed and ruffled his hair. "How about this? I do the more dangerous approach."

"What?!" Sydney stood right in front of him, extremely close to him. "Why would you do something like that?"

"I have Colonel, so if I get tied up, he can help. Then we get everyone out of the bandages and bust a hole in the wall. I'll call you when I'm done."

She grabbed his shoulders. "You can't! How do you plan on getting Colonel to help you if you're arms are tied?"

"Have him out when I get captured. We'll end up wherever it takes us together." When Sydney continued to stare up at him with eyes full of worry, he patted her head. "I said I'd keep you safe, right? If I face the problem head on and get rid of it, won't I be doing that?"

A man scratched his forehead. "Personally, I'd stick with my girlfriend in a time like this, kid."

"She's just my best friend." He gently pried her off of his shoulders. "I'll be safe, I promise."

John clenched his fist. "I'm not sure how I feel about this: letting a guest do something so dangerous. You were my responsibility."

York smiled at the man. "It's not like you knew the Cof@grigus were here. I don't see how you could be blamed. Your higher ups, maybe. Just get everyone outside and away from the tower. I'll catch up as soon as possible."

"I never thought this would come in handy." John picked up his bag and took out a grappling hook and rope. "We'll rappel down with these. We'll be outside and away from here in a matter of minutes."

"Good luck!" Brenda bowed to York. "I hope you come back with everyone!"

Everyone hurried over to the window, taking out their own grappling hooks. Sydney was the last to get her things. She looked on as York disappeared down the hall, walking tall and brave.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the Cof@grigus thing: apparently, I can't spell the name of that Pokémon because a certain word is in the middle of it. If anyone would rather read Co***rigus than Conf@grigus, just say something. I have no doubt people will know which Pokémon is being talked about anyway.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    Here is chapter eighteen of the Kinsei Saga, and the eighteenth overall chapter of Pokémon Anthology.

Chapter 18: Electrifying Rebirth

York walked through the halls of the Tower of Terror, Colonel clinging onto his vest. He planned for Colonel to get abducted with him, but with how the group theorized that a Litwick would drain their life energy and leave them vulnerable, he thought it'd be best if the two were close together.

The previous night, he hadn't paid much attention to the tower, but was more worried about how the usually tough, stubborn Sydney was reduced to a scared child who couldn't let go of him.

Now that he was alone, he became conscious of his surroundings. The floor creaked underfoot with each step, and several of the floorboards were broken, with jagged holes in some of them revealing a black hole seemingly with no end. There were paintings of well dressed people on the wall. All of them were stone faced.

"This place is creeping me out now that I'm alone." Said York as he walked. "You alright, Colonel?"

The small Pokémon nodded. After several minutes of wandering aimlessly, a Litwick suddenly appeared at the end of the hall. It was signaling for him to come towards it. Taking a breath, York began following it.

As he followed it, he felt himself grow more and more tired. While walking down a particularly dark hall, he fell onto one of his knees. The Litwick turned towards him, a gleeful smile on its face. It waved to him and slowly disappeared as a Cof@grigus gradually came into view.

The door to the sarcophagus that was its body began to open, and York smirked. He was weak, so his smile was small. He saw ghastly black hands draw towards him and felt them wrap around him.

As he creeped closer and closer to the coffin, he saw Colonel being dragged as well; his plan was going along smoothly. Once inside of the Cof@grigus, his field of vision was slowly filled with blackness.

York woke up to see the same room Dextera spoke of in the story the previous night. There were shelves of mummies, propped up neatly, as if they were trophies. He tried moving, but didn't budge. Glancing down, he found himself wrapped in bandages.

"Colonel!" He called, looking around the room. "You there, buddy!?" A Cof@grigus appeared in front of him, holding onto a roll of bandages. "It's bad enough that this is happening, but it had to run out right before doing my head." He remained calm. "So, Mr. Cof@grigus, how're you today?"

Instead of answering, it continued wrapping him. Like when he spoke, York didn't panic. As Cof@grigus was working it was humming. It's tune was cut short when it screamed in pain.

York's wrapping fell around him and Colonel stood by his foot.

"Thanks, pal." He looked over at the Cof@grigus. "We need to deal with it before we get everyone out of here."

The Coffin Pokémon pulled itself up and glared at the duo. A large shadowy orb began forming in its hand, which it hurled at them.

"Best of luck. I'll look around and see what I can do!" York and Colonel jumped off of the shelf when the Shadow Ball hit its target. York sent Dollie and Star into the field and began to investigate the room.

Colonel shouted over to the two, and they nodded in response. Dollie began trotting towards Cof@grigus. When it saw her, it began charging another Shadow Ball. Colonel charged at the enemy, and disappeared. Star did the same. They both appeared behind it. The Shadow Ball dispersed and Cof@grigus screeched.

By that time, Dollie had ran over Cof@grigus. It stared at her, and she used Discharge, electrocuting it. Colonel dashed towards Cof@grigus, his arms imbued with a dark aura. As soon was Cof@grigus got up, it was struck in the back. When it went flying, another Cof@grigus appeared, a ball of blue fire in its hand.

Star hurried towards it, but it struck Colonel with the ball before she hit it. Colonel's back was burned. The two Cof@grigus faced Colonel and Star, but a rainbow light hit one of them in the back, and it turned towards the source.

It produced more arms and began lobbing Shadow Balls. Dollie used Light Screen, and a green box of light formed around her. She began running at it, shooting the orbs of shadow with Signal Beam. Each collision produced a cloud of smoke. From one of them, Dollie emerged, using Discharge again.

Meanwhile, Colonel lunged at the second Cof@grigus attempting to use Night Slash. A rainbow colored barrier appeared in front of it and Colonel bounced off. Star flew at it and a furious wind began whipping at her. She exploded into a puff of smoke and another Staravia slammed into it. Colonel leapt onto its back and drove his arm into the coffin that was its body.

The Cof@grigus reached around and flung him away. It held out its hand, and Colonel exploded. The blast threw him into a wall. Star flew at the Cof@grigus, but it processed the same field of rainbow light that deflected Colonel away.

Dollie's attack threw the Cof@grigus to the ground, and it was struck by the attack again when it attempted to move. The small sheep was relentless in its attacks and soon the opposition ceased to move. A third Cof@grigus appeared behind her, a Shadow Ball in its hand.

Colonel pulled himself out of the pile of rubble formed by the crumbling of the wall when he crashed into it. He stared down the Cof@grigus that attacked him and went to attack it himself. Before he moved, there was a large explosion near Dollie. From it flew two shapes. One of them landed, and it was a Flaaffy. It fell onto its face and pulled itself up, balancing on its feet.

Colonel tore his eyes from Dollie and sped towards the Cof@grigus again. He hit it with Night Slash, and Star grabbed it with her talons. She brought it high up into the room and dropped it. Colonel stood underneath, landing another Night Slash as Cof@grigus fell towards him.

The third Gof@grigus glared at Dollie, and a strong wind began blowing towards her. She held her ground, and when the attack ended, another Shadow Ball was headed towards her. She jumped over it and used Discharge. Her range had increased, allowing her to hit her target from farther away. Before it could recover, Star dive bombed it from above.

After having its back struck, the second Cof@grigus had its movement impaired, and Colonel was able to defeat it without much trouble; it had a tough time both hitting him and dodging his attacks. The third Cof@grigus met the same fate, going up against both Dollie and Star.

After looking around and confirming that all three Cof@grigus were defeated, Colonel called out to York. The young trainer was hitting the wall with a rusty hammer.

"Great job, guys!" He gave Dollie a thumbs up. "Especially you! Hope you get used to your new body soon Dollie!" She happily responded.

"Colonel, cut out everyone who's still kicking! Dollie, Star, inspect the mummies to see if they smell like they're rotting or not!"

The two Pokémon stared at their trainer in shock after hearing his morbid order. Regardless, they went on and did it.

Eventually, Colonel had cut everyone out of their wrappings. The number of survivors was low, and the majority of them were weak. The two who were with York's group were in the best shape. Star checked up on everyone to make sure they were alright. Colonel and Dollie had begun helping York break the wall

Sydney sat on a lone tree stump away from the group of people who left the tower. John was talking to IHPHA medics, who had several stretchers laid out and ambulances near the city's entrance.

When Sydney's PokéNav began to ring, she scrambled through her bag to answer it. "York!" A wave of relief passed through her when she saw him. On the other side for the screen, he was covered in dust. "What happened to you?"

He brushed some of the dust away from his face."Breaking a wall and got covered in a bunch of little particles. We got everyone we could. Where are you guys? We'll head there right away."

Sydney told him, and then informed the medics. They readied their stretchers, and when York and the others appeared, got them on and on their ways to the ambulances as quickly and safely as they could. One of the medics stayed behind and spoke to John and Brenda.

"We'll have to contact your company about this." He said.

"I would imagine." Replied John. "Do whatever you need to do."

"Excuse me, young man." He called York over. "How many mummies were there?"

"Quite a few. Didn't count them all."

The medic crossed his arms and shook his head. "And we've heard nothing. The tower will have to be closed to the public so the Pokémon won't be disturbed and the citizens put in danger. We'll have to investigate to see whether or not your company tried to hide the disappearances. You'll find out what we learned if your company is closed or not."

"It's fine." Brenda intertwined her fingers and nodded in understanding. "To be honest, if they did hide that, I don't think I'd want to work for them."

York's vision went black and he felt something fluffy and warm on his face. "Thanks, Brush." He reached over to his shoulder and patted the Minccino's head. The Pokémon moved from his eyes to the rest of his body and clothes.

"We should head back into the city." Said Sydney. "I don't think they want us lingering."

The two left the area and began to walk back to their hotel.

"Didn't turn out how I expected." Admitted York.

"I know what you mean." A depressing look dawned on Sydney's face. "It's so sad about the people you couldn't save, though."

"I know. There's no point in being sad, though. It's not going to do any good for anyone." He spoke in a serious tone.

"You have a point." She said. She gripped her arm and remained silent for a moment. "You're going to… forget that, right?"

"What?"

She smiled. "Nevermind."

He smiled right back at her. "You mean you being a scaredy-Meowth? Don't worry, I'll forget that ever happened."

"Good. You're going to have to rework your training regimen, York."

"I'll work on it. Might be put back a few days, but it shouldn't matter much.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    Here is chapter nineteen of the Kinsei Saga, and the nineteenth overall chapter of Pokémon Anthology.

Chapter 19: Vs. Viel Gym Leader Mari

York has spent several days training with Colonel, Star, and the recently evolved Dollie. Like had had intended, he worked to make Colonel faster, Dollie better at taking hits and Star better at creating illusions with Double Team. Now, nearly a week later, he and Sydney were on their way back to Mari's gym.

York strolled into the building confidently, and the attendant led them to the battlefield without even being asked. Unlike the first time, Frank, Mari's uncle and the previous Viel City Gym Leader, Yvonne, her Mother, and Hiroshi, her father, weren't present.

Soon, the young woman entered the room with her Deino, Schwarz . She retrieved the Pokéballs from the panel in the wall and stood across from him.

"No audience this time?" Asked York, smirking.

"Not today. Not a problem, though, right?"

"Not at all." York cracked his knuckles. "Let's get this party started!"

"Exactly what I was thinking!" Mari pointed one of her Pokéballs at him. "I hope you've improved since I last saw you."

"Don't worry, I have!"

The two trainers threw their Pokéballs. The capsules met in the center of the battlefield, their buttons pressing each other. They ricocheted and their Pokémon landed on the field and the balls landed back in their owner's hands.

Star and Vibrava faced off against each other. To start the battle, Vibrava slammed into the ground, breaking it once more. It struck the shards with its tail, all of the shards going towards Star. At the last moment, Star used Double Team, and the shards hit one of the copies. The remaining copies dove towards Vibrava.

It took in a deep breath, but the copies didn't divert their course. Vibrava exhaled, and moved from right to left, taking out each of the copies. It didn't see several of them go behind it, and one of them slammed into it from behind.

The remaining Staravia circled up and around towards Vibrava. It got up and hit more rocks in Star's direction. They weaved past the rocks and towards Vibrava. It took in a deep breath. But instead of using Dragon Breath, it used Screech. All of the Staravia stopped in their tracks.

"Star, Brave Bird!" Ordered York. "Charge right at it!"

She nodded and sped towards Vibrava. It took a deep breath and used Dragon Breath. Star pushed right through and smashed into Vibrava.

"What was the problem?" Asked York, a smile on his face. "Why not use Rock Slide like earlier?

"Didn't want to risk hurting your Staravia. Getting hit by a rock from such close range might not end well. You should thank me."

"I will! Brave Bird, one more time!"

Star collected herself and turned to attack Vibrava again. Her clones joined in.

When she started her attack, she was much farther away. Vibrava used Rock Slide, certain it wouldn't cause lasting damage from such a range. It spread the shards out, and while she tried to dodge them, one of the shards hit its mark.

Star crashed into the ground and Vibrava used Rock Slide again. When the rocks hit her, the impact created a huge cloud of smoke from which several Staravia flew out of. They flew towards Vibrava, who inhaled and held its breath. Right before the band of Staravia hit it, it exhaled, and another huge cloud of smoke emerged.

When the smoke cleared, both Pokémon lay next to each other, unconscious. The two trainers returned their Pokémon to their Pokéballs, and their second Pokémon took the field. Dollie emerged from the next Pokéball York threw, and Schwarz ran onto the field after Mari gestured for him to go.

"Schwarz, let's start with Work Up!"

He stood on his hind legs and roared. He slammed the ground, and Dollie cowered but stared it down.

"Now, let's show them your power as a dragon!"

The Deino opened its mouth, and a blue energy began accumulating inside. It began streaming and heading towards Dollie. Her tail's gem began glowing green, and Light Screen's box of light formed around her. It then began glowing again, and she used Signal Beam.

The two beams collided and created a small explosion. Dollie used Signal Beam again and hit Schwarz dead on. He shook it off and used Dragon Pulse again. Dollie tried to run away, and Schwarz continued to use the attack. Eventually, the move struck the rather slow Flaaffy. The Light Screen lessened the damage, but Dollie was still pushed to the ground.

Schwarz began running at Dollie. When she pulled herself up, She used Signal Beam. He ducked to the side and evaded the attack. He lunged at her and clamped his jaw down on her tail.

Dollie began swinging him around in hopes of throwing him off, but to no avail. When it didn't work, she used Discharge.

"That's enough, Schwarz!" Called Mari. "Let go and use Dragon Pulse!"

He finally released the tail and, from point blank range, used Dragon Pulse. Once again, Light Screen lessened the impact, but Dollie still took heavy damage. She rammed into Deino and used Discharge to immobilize him. She then used Signal Beam, also from point blank range.

Schwarz was sent flying back and landed by his trainer's feet. He tried lifting his head, but Mari took him in her arms.

"You've done enough." She began petting him lovingly. "Just sit back and let Fraxure handle it from here."

"A Fraxure, huh?" York looked at Mari nervously as she pulled out a Pokéball. Deino was enveloped by a red light and absorbed by the ball.

Dollie stood on the field, still enveloped by Light Screen, panting. As Mari said, the final Pokémon she sent out was a Fraxure. The three foot three inch tall Axe Jaw Dragon Pokémon stood firm, glaring at Dollie. She cowered under its gaze.

Mari crossed her arms, and looked at York confidently. "Let me ask you: if you call back your Flaaffy, will you bring it back should your Pawniard faint or count it as a loss like I did with Schwarz?"

"I'll count it as a loss." He replied. "If Dollie takes a hit from that Fraxure, I'm sure she'd go down anyway. She's taken a lot of damage."

He swapped Dollie out for Colonel. Despite being over a foot shorter, Colonel stared back with just as much fire in his orange eyes.

Colonel used Iron Defense, the metal of his body gleaming. Fraxure formed two blades out of blue fire and began to do a very energetic dance. After the dance was concluded, the two Pokémon then began walking towards each other and met in the middle of the battle field.

Colonel's arms became engulfed by a dark aura, and around Fraxure's claws larger claws formed out of the same blue fire the swords did. The two clashed. They jumped back from their meeting point.

The battle between the two Pokémon had been reduced to pure hand-to-hand combat; their trainers didn't issue any orders, but simply stood back and watched. The two were equally matched, and most of their fight was little more than parrying each other.

Fraxure went to attack Colonel with its left arm. Colonel blocked the attack with his own left arm. He pushed it back, and plunged his free arm into Fraxure's side. Fraxure swept at him with its tail, pushing him back.

Even though Fraxure was larger and more powerful, Colonel was smaller and more agile. Its attacks hit harder, but less frequently. Colonel was able to get several attacks in by the time Fraxure got one or two. This added up, and the two were soon panting heavily.

The claws around Fraxure's hands dispersed. It's huge tusks began covered in a thin film of flame. It swung its tusks at Colonel, hitting him hard in the head. As it brought down its second tusk, Colonel grabbed it and struck. Fraxure stumbled and Colonel hit it in the head.

Colonel bounced back and Fraxure fell over onto its back. York, Colonel and Sydney all cheered. Colonel thrust his arms into the air, but fell over onto his back as well.

York ran onto the field and helped his partner up. "Great work, pal!"

"Indeed." Fraxure returned to its Pokéball and Mari joined them. "Not many Pokémon do that good against Fraxure in a fight like that."

She reached into her jacket's pocket and tossed something to York. He caught it and took a closer look. It was a badge in the shape of a dragon's wing.

"The Fable Badge. It's yours now." Mari turned and returned Vibrava and Fraxure's Pokéballs. Before leaving, she turned to him. "That was a nice battle. Your Pokémon can do quite a bit without your input. I don't see many Pokémon that well trained. Most of them rely on their trainers way too much.

"Thanks for the battle!" Called York. "And I'll remember what you told me; not to judge a book by its cover!"

She smiled back at him. "Good. I hope to see the two of you soon."

As Mari left, York returned Colonel to his Pokéball. Sydney walked over to him. "Your toughest battle yet, huh?"

"Well, it took me two tries to actually win."

"Want to grab some lunch? My treat."

"Is this supposed to be a reward?"

"You can think of it as that. But let's get your team healed up first."

York and Sydney were back to their hotel after having celebratory lunch. York rubbed his stomach, a content look on his face.

"Grumpig." Sydney teased.

"It was all you can eat, and I was hungry!" He burped. "Excuse me."

Sydney noticed someone by the entrance to the hotel. The person wore a pink and white jacket, as well as pink and white pants. Of all of the people she had seen in Viel City, only one of them wore a matching jacket and pants that were pink and white.

"It's Mari." She said.

York looked over as well. "It looks like her. What do you think she needs?"

When the two got in front of the hotel, the young Gym Leader met them.

"Hey." Said York. "What's up?"

She crossed her arms and smiled proudly. "I have a proposal for you, York."

"What is it?"

"Most people who need a rematch with me take more than a week training. You were one of few exceptions. You're also the youngest of these exceptions. You have potential to become a great trainer. You need an equally great teacher to help bring it out."

Sydney gave Mari an unamused look. "This is your overcomplicated way of saying you want to come with us, isn't it?"

Mari twitched. "Not at all! Like I said, York needs a teacher to help him become the best he can be!"

"If you want to come with us, you can just say it." York said. "We won't mind."

"I-I'm not asking to go with you!" She retorted. "I'm offering to be your instructor!"

The boy sighed and smiled at her. "In that case, I'd be really happy if you'd come and be my teacher, Mari."

"That's better. I'm looking forward to working with you, York. Before you two leave, stop by the gym!" With a giggle, the young woman turned and hurried down the street.

"What was that about?" Asked a rather irritated Sydney. "She didn't have to be so weird about it."

"No harm done." Said York. "Let's head back inside. I could use a good nap right about now."

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    For everyone who was looking forward to this story, I apologize for the wait. It's been quite some time since I last wrote Anthology, so I might just restart it.

If I do, it'll be the same for the most part, but there will be some differences. For all chapters I've written but haven't uploaded yet, there's no reason to worry.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    For everyone who's read the story up until now, I'm going to restart it. When I finish and post the first chapter, I'll put the link to it here so people can access it easily.

Bay

Years
  • Hey, so I asked Shadowchaos if it's all right I close this thread because they're starting the story again in a new thread, so yeah if you readers are interested in following/are following the story check the new thread.

To Shadowchaos, I'm leaving this here incase you decide to get back to this thread. If so, let me know and I'll unclose it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back