• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script offsets other than 0x800000 not working.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2023
    Hi,

I have been hacking Pokemone FireRed as an experiment.

A standard action for ROM hacking is to use 0x800000 for the first script one inserts into a ROM using XSE. I did this and it worked perfectly.

However, with the 0x800000 offset now of course in use, I searched FSF for new offsets to use. While they generated as expected, when I used them for in-game scripts, they seem not to work. I followed the precise steps I did with the aforementioned offset, debugging the script (no errors) and decompiling to the ROM. However, when I paste the offset, in this case 0x8000DA, to a person event in AdvanceMap, the script, when checked (by pressing "Open Script" into XSE again), loads as completely blank save for the following:
    '---------------
    #org 0x8000DA

This is definitely a bizarre occurrence. Have you encountered anything similar in the past? If so, any help or advice that you can provide would be recieved very gratefully!
    Thanks, Joey

Years
    • Seen today
    Hi,

I have been hacking Pokemone FireRed as an experiment.

A standard action for ROM hacking is to use 0x800000 for the first script one inserts into a ROM using XSE. I did this and it worked perfectly.

However, with the 0x800000 offset now of course in use, I searched FSF for new offsets to use. While they generated as expected, when I used them for in-game scripts, they seem not to work. I followed the precise steps I did with the aforementioned offset, debugging the script (no errors) and decompiling to the ROM. However, when I paste the offset, in this case 0x8000DA, to a person event in AdvanceMap, the script, when checked (by pressing "Open Script" into XSE again), loads as completely blank save for the following:
    '---------------
    #org 0x8000DA

This is definitely a bizarre occurrence. Have you encountered anything similar in the past? If so, any help or advice that you can provide would be recieved very gratefully!
    Thanks, Joey

What you posted is just a text, not a script.
    I suggest following a scripting tutorial from Avara or DiegoIsAwesome. Alternatively Anthroyd's Generation III ROM Hacking Video Series is pretty comprehensive.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2023
    What you posted is just a text, not a script.
    I suggest following a scripting tutorial from Avara or DiegoIsAwesome. Alternatively Anthroyd's Generation III ROM Hacking Video Series is pretty comprehensive.

I'm sorry, perhaps I didn't explain as best I could.

In writing my scripts, I followed the instruction of DiegoIsAwesome.

I'll go through everything I did, step-by-step.
    - I wrote a talking script using the 0x800000 offset, and it worked perfectly.
    - I attempted to write another very similar talking script using the 0x8000DA offset (from Free Space Finder).
    - I debugged this script (no errors).
    - I compiled the script into a FireRed ROM.
    - I loaded the FireRed ROM I had used in XSE, using AdvanceMap.
    - I assigned the script offset (008000DA) to an NPC event.
    - I checked the script pressing "Open Script" (into XSE again).
    - XSE opened. I was met with the text that I posted in my original post.

The exact script I compiled was this:
    #dynamic 0x8000DA
    #org @main
    lock
    faceplayer
    msgbox @msg1
    = Hello!
    release
    end

Last edited:
    Back