• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Tones and vibes in roleplay

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Inspired by a short conversation where roleplay posts were connected to anime genres, have a new talk topic ♡

This could be applied to anime genres again, like shonen, shojo, and more, but in order to keep things more general...

Is there a vibe, a tone that you strive to keep the same when writing posts for a certain character? Can you mention some examples? And do you think it's important for everyone who's involved in a roleplay to be consistent with it, or is it better the other way around?
    Even when people are telling similar stories about similar characters, it's interesting to spot all the differences there may be in this aspect of writing~

Years
  • It's hard to say for my own writing really. Tone in writing is something I struggle to understand myself and I feel like as a result everything I write ends up reading the same way, even if they should theoretically end up not being that (compare an average Gwen post with an average June post, that's what I mean).

But maybe this is me misunderstanding the question, which is pretty embarrassing considering I prompted it. I had said I reading Avril's post as giving me feel good shoujo feelings, and my reasoning for that was just her character, being a teenage girl figuring herself out and is into all things pink and girly, which is perfect for a Precure protagonist or something. And y'know, the whole baby romance thing definitely plays a role with that, and her being heavily associated with the color pink and flower. So with that being said, I guess what I said above is a fucking lie because for example, Gwen's story reads like a shounen battle manga since she's beat-by-beat a shounen protagonist in a Pokemon journey story. June meanwhile is... well I'm not 100% sure, somebody else put it into words for me honestly, you won't receive a reward but I'll be mildly pleased for a very brief moment which should be enough of a reward as it is.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Don't really know much about an*me genres, so gonna put whatever comes into my mind.

The first vibe, which I've repeated many times already, is that most of Miranda's posts are based on the AVGN vids. Of course with her own personality traits, many of those posts take a different tone, but AVGN is still the main inspiration behind her character.

Bruno I think would be like noir + Earthbound. When I decided Bruno would be 13 years old I was in the middle of my annual Earthbound playthrough, and that's why the gifted kid saves the world trope is there together with his tendency to run into trouble and overthinking things (which leads to him getting in more trouble).

Jo is a harder to decide for me, but at this point I think their posts would be in the action & drama genre. At first I would've def said 100% shonen (their battles are 100% shonen), but at this moment they have some heavy internal drama going on so.

Carmen (I miss her btw :c) was drama. Like some telenovela kinda thing fr. She was a total drama queen. With explosions too.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    It's hard to say for my own writing really. Tone in writing is something I struggle to understand myself and I feel like as a result everything I write ends up reading the same way, even if they should theoretically end up not being that (compare an average Gwen post with an average June post, that's what I mean).

But maybe this is me misunderstanding the question, which is pretty embarrassing considering I prompted it. I had said I reading Avril's post as giving me feel good shoujo feelings, and my reasoning for that was just her character, being a teenage girl figuring herself out and is into all things pink and girly, which is perfect for a Precure protagonist or something. And y'know, the whole baby romance thing definitely plays a role with that, and her being heavily associated with the color pink and flower. So with that being said, I guess what I said above is a fucking lie because for example, Gwen's story reads like a shounen battle manga since she's beat-by-beat a shounen protagonist in a Pokemon journey story. June meanwhile is... well I'm not 100% sure, somebody else put it into words for me honestly, you won't receive a reward but I'll be mildly pleased for a very brief moment which should be enough of a reward as it is.

I will say "tone" is not an easy concept for me either and, you're also right in saying that the character traits one may be working with contribute a lot to it. Avril's story sure might have hit different if she was, say, a goth... every potential reference is entirely accidental haha.

I also need to say that this was rather new to myself as well, up until that conversation you mentioned. I didn't really feel like I was giving Arianne or Avril a different vibe when writing, but you can tell there's some difference, and it's mostly because of themselves as characters and what they go through, sure. But also of how we end up conveying their feelings and writing about what they do - that also changes slightly. Arianne's reflective moments feel a bit different than Avril's~

And so yeah, from there comes the idea that reading Avril feels more like reading a shojo, like you said, and reading Arianne posts (if I can write them well and mantain her character) turn into shonen action stuff quite seamlessly. But it's also true that neither of them is meant to feel that dark or serious to read compared to, say, what I was foreboding for Helene back in Tocker, or some of the posts I'd like to try out for Evelyn.

This brings me to the other question - consistency in a roleplay. I'm not sure if it's something I do deliberately but it feels like I tend to adapt automatically my writing to what I feel the roleplay is about and to what other people are doing. In fact, it's helpful to already have some indication of this when joining a roleplay, to make a character that just works well there. As much as I planned for Avril's story to involve personal moments and difficult choices, I know I would've been likely to write them differently than how I did in Hoenn Square 1, if Avril happened to be part of Spear, for example.

I will admit it's a bit of a complicated topic - but even I'm not sure what I was on when I made it this morning, I feel like I was still onto something. There's potential to talk about this!

Years
  • There's not really a specific tone I try to always write. That shifts depending on the character and the overall tone of the RP. Rather than a consistent tone across all of my RPs, I find it's much more important that everyone in a single RP is consistent to the tone/vibe of the setting and the story. It's really jarring if one member of the cast is way darker than everyone else, for example. This doesn't mean an RP can have no variation at all though, it's more general than that.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I concur with GP that the tone in which I write in always depends on the character and the setting (more importantly the former rather than the latter), and I like to switch things up between different characters/RPs/campaigns. One thing I tend to keep consistent though (both because it's my forte and I just enjoy it) is wholesomeness and humor; I rarely go towards anything too serious and dark with my plotlines or character arcs (*cough*except the simon caterpie arc *cough*). In D&D in particular, I actually find it difficult to play a serious character, perhaps due to the in-person aspect of it (I've played serious NPCs as a DM, but I can never see myself playing a character with an emotional, serious storyline as a player).

Years
  • I concur with GP that the tone in which I write in always depends on the character and the setting (more importantly the former rather than the latter), and I like to switch things up between different characters/RPs/campaigns. One thing I tend to keep consistent though (both because it's my forte and I just enjoy it) is wholesomeness and humor; I rarely go towards anything too serious and dark with my plotlines or character arcs (*cough*except the simon caterpie arc *cough*). In D&D in particular, I actually find it difficult to play a serious character, perhaps due to the in-person aspect of it (I've played serious NPCs as a DM, but I can never see myself playing a character with an emotional, serious storyline as a player).

In fairness to you, a SeriousStory(tm) doesn't need to be dark and gritty. Bro'aaa might be a bit of a meme, but his redemption arc he's going on right now is pretty legit. So you can do serious d&d plot lines too!

Back