• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spinoff/Mobile Is it worth hunting down a copy of Colosseum?

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2023
    For a while now i've been considering trying to get a copy of Pokemon Colosseum, but the ~$150 price has put me off from going through with it. Is it worth it? I do know emulation exists but I have very little emulator experience, plus I prefer playing games with the screen size and controller they are played on.

In truth, I actually had a Colosseum disk a few years back , but I was only able to play it for less than an hour before it was broken accidentally. Take it from me, do NOT leave out your disks.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Colosseum and XD have probably been some of my favorite spin offs ever made. If you are willing, I'd very highly suggest trying to play them. They are some of the best games. I say both because they share the same story. I haven't really played much of XD, but Colosseum I would definitely get.

I will say they are very story oriented, they are not like our games we have. I'd say the closest to Colosseum is probably Legends Arceus which again is very story driven.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I enjoyed playing Pokemon Colosseum, but I would be reluctant to spend that much money to play a 20 year Gamecube game. Have you explored the option of watching someone else play on YouTube (with or without the person's added commentary)?

If watching someone play is not an option.... Know that Colosseum itself has about 50 Pokemon available. Most of the available Pokemon are from the Johto region (Generation 2). There are only so many ways to play the game since some of these Pokemon are available mid to late-game. The story itself is about 15 to 25 hours long. It's a great story that doesn't follow the generic "Battle 8 Gym Leaders" formula. For post-game, there is the Mt. Battle mode where you battle a series of strong trainers. Upon defeating the 100th trainer, you are given a Ho-oh that you can migrate to your Generation 3 games. If you still have these games and a way to transfer to/from the Gamecube, it might be fun/worthwhile to buy Colosseum, build up your team, and migrate over your Pokemon to current games.

Years
  • It is definitely worth hunting down a disc of Colosseum I still have my disc of the game and also XD: Gale of Darkness both games are excellent and I replay both games twice every year with different teams.

There are two ribbons available in both games that you can obtain for your Pokemon the National Ribbon (This is awarded when your Pokemon is purified) and the Earth Ribbon (This is awarded for winning all 100 battles on Mount Battle with the same 6 Pokemon and not switching Pokemon at the PC) both of these Ribbons award titles to your Pokemon in Sword, Shield, Scarlet & Violet.

National Ribbon - The Triumphant
    Earth Ribbon - The 100 Times Victorious

You can get Ho-Oh on Colosseum by defeating all 100 trainers on Mount Battle in Battle Mode (You need to have purified all 48 Shadow Pokemon)

XD: Gale of Darkness allows you to obtain the Johto Starters Chikorita, Cyndaquil & Totodile with their special moves (Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn & Hydro Cannon) you are given the option of which starter you want when you defeat all 100 trainers on Mount Battle without changing your team basically the same requirement for the Earth Ribbon) you are able to get all 3 starters but you will need to defeat Mount Battle 3 times to get all 3 of them.

All the Pokemon you snag and purify in Colosseum & XD: Gale of Darkness can be sent to Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed & LeafGreen which as far as I am concerned makes Colosseum & XD: Gale of Darkness main series you can even send the Pokemon all the way to Scarlet & Violet.

Back