• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gentleman JP sent out... what the heck is a Bidoof?

Years
  • Sadly I had to Google a Pokémon for the title of this thread!

Hello guys and gals! I once watched a YouTube video of a guy playing Pokémon for the first time. I thought it was great, though I never thought to be in the somewhat same position.

I'm 25, married, with a wee baby boy currently crying his heart out because he's convinced it's not bed time. The last game I played was Crystal version all the way back in 2001. I never got around to the 3rd Gen because, well, life. A few years ago I discovered ROMs and had some fun finally playing Emerald and FireRed. And that was that. I never went any further.

Then along comes my wife's little brother with Pokémon Pearl and the assurance that he'd not mind at all if I restarted it. And so here I am. A total rookie once again on the cusp of a real adventure. I love the early generations and they all have such fond memories for me. But now I'm going to go places I just don't know. I could probably recall word for word the dialogue from Pokémon Blue. Now I'm going in to a region where everything's new, no paths have been trodden yet. I've got butterflies!

This is always the most fun sort of challenge. You've got the solo-run, the mono-type run, the nuzlocke challenge. But I can't think of a greater challenge than diving in to a game where you've nothing to go on (except a a general background in the older versions).

I've completely forbidden the in-laws to give me spoilers. All I know is that Ghost is finally and at last Special as it always should have been, and that the starters final forms are all dual-types.

Now I'm facing that age old question. Which Pokémon do I forever condemn to eternal solitude on the professor's desk?

Wish me luck!

Years
  • Welcome to the PokeCommunity! Ah you're getting back into Pokemon, it's a good thing you've joined, you can learn a lot about Pokemon games and strategy here. Feel free to join in the conversation over in any of the Pokemon Main Series section. Be wary there may be some spoilers in some sections. It is always very exciting to start a new game with no previous knowledge of it, Sinnoh truly is a very good region (also my favourite), have fun playing it! Anyways, if you have any question on how the forums work, shoot me a VM! Enjoy! :D

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Sadly I had to Google a Pokémon for the title of this thread!

Hello guys and gals! I once watched a YouTube video of a guy playing Pokémon for the first time. I thought it was great, though I never thought to be in the somewhat same position.

I'm 25, married, with a wee baby boy currently crying his heart out because he's convinced it's not bed time. The last game I played was Crystal version all the way back in 2001. I never got around to the 3rd Gen because, well, life. A few years ago I discovered ROMs and had some fun finally playing Emerald and FireRed. And that was that. I never went any further.

Then along comes my wife's little brother with Pokémon Pearl and the assurance that he'd not mind at all if I restarted it. And so here I am. A total rookie once again on the cusp of a real adventure. I love the early generations and they all have such fond memories for me. But now I'm going to go places I just don't know. I could probably recall word for word the dialogue from Pokémon Blue. Now I'm going in to a region where everything's new, no paths have been trodden yet. I've got butterflies!

This is always the most fun sort of challenge. You've got the solo-run, the mono-type run, the nuzlocke challenge. But I can't think of a greater challenge than diving in to a game where you've nothing to go on (except a a general background in the older versions).

I've completely forbidden the in-laws to give me spoilers. All I know is that Ghost is finally and at last Special as it always should have been, and that the starters final forms are all dual-types.

Now I'm facing that age old question. Which Pokémon do I forever condemn to eternal solitude on the professor's desk?

Wish me luck!
    Omg what an awesome way to get back into the pokémon world! The Sinnoh games (Pearl, Diamond and Platinum) are AMAZING, so far Platinum is the best pokémon game I've played. Sinnoh just took everything to a new level. I think Pearl and Diamond have almost the same story as Platinum.

I really hope you'll have an amazing time. Why not share your progress with us as you play through the game, by making a Journal (use the prefix) in 4th gen forum? :D

let me know if you need any help around the forums also!

Back