• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Why RMXP?

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
Years
  • Why is RPG maker xp the standard engine for pokemon fangames? It isn't free, it's old, and can only run on windows. Why did it become so popular for making pokemon fangames when other engines are far superior and free?

EDIT: I'm trying to make an essentials-style system for the open source godot game engine, It may or may not work.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Why is RPG maker xp the standard engine for pokemon fangames? It isn't free, it's old, and can only run on windows. Why did it become so popular for making pokemon fangames when other engines are far superior and free?
    Bacause back when Piccol (or however his name is spelled) first wrote Essentials, XP was the most recent RPGMaker. Making an Essentials game for a later RPGMaker involves porting it to a new programming language.

As for why it has to be a variation of RPGMaker, I dunno. That was a choice Piccol made.

Years
  • Here's a list of some other toolkits that are even remotely as complete as Essentials

• ?

RMXP is cheap, easy to use, and has tons of great community support.
    Multi-platform support is nice, but with only ~15% of users (or less, since many of the Unix data here are servers and/or users probably have multiple operating systems) being on non-windows platforms, it's not a huge deal. Plus for the most part you can play them using Wine.

The biggest limitation is the age of the engine (and lack of customization), but these aren't really resource heavy games, so most people can deal with it. It might not run perfectly, but it can run.

Years
  • Bacause back when Piccol (or however his name is spelled) first wrote Essentials, XP was the most recent RPGMaker. Making an Essentials game for a later RPGMaker involves porting it to a new programming language.

As for why it has to be a variation of RPGMaker, I dunno. That was a choice Piccol made.

To further elaborate on your answer, I believe Poccil had based his engine off the works of Flameguru, which was waayyyy back when RPG Maker XP was the most useful RPG Engine. (Debate me if I'm wrong, but back then I can argue with there being no other suitable RPG Engine for the job)

With that said, Flameguru made his starter kit on the latest and greatest RPG Game Engine. Poccil found it, but thought that it was subpar, so he took the liberty of making it more complete, and I *think* he worked on it for a solid 4 years? (correct me if I'm wrong) before Maruno took over development and Poccil disappeared into the depths of nowhere.

And this goes *way* back to like 2006.

So, the reason of why RPG Maker XP is the standard is because Pokemon Essentials is based on outdated software.

The reason nobody has made another starter kit that comes even close to Pokemon Essentials is because it's taken the kit 10 years (roughly) to get where it is today. Not only that, why would you spend so much time making your own engine when something that's already working to an undoubtedly impressive level?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you cannot provide meaningful features, don't copy it. If you do, then you're essentially wasting your time as almost nobody wants to learn a new engine, with a small support team, little to no resources, ect. Compared to using something that they're already familiar with, has tons of support, and a lot of resources.

Back