• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] NA Save File, European Version: Are They Compatible?

Years
    • Seen today
    The other day I ordered a copy of Pokemon Brilliant Diamond to go with my copy of Shining Pearl, and by some miracle it already arrived this morning. Someone at the distribution center must not have been paying attention though, because they sent me the European version instead of the North American release. I am considering keeping it anyway instead of exchanging it since the console is (mostly) region free, but I have a save file from the NA release via a Gamefly rental and I am unsure if save files from one region will work with a different region's version. So my questions are:

1. Can I use the European copy with my NA save file?

and

2. Will future distributions, DLC (if any), or upcoming Pokemon HOME compatibility still be possible with a European game/NA save file combination?

I have tried looking up the answers online but can't find anything concrete. Apologies if this was the wrong section for this- I figured since the main question could apply to any Switch title that this was the correct place for my question.

Years
  • Hi there! It is most likely safe. BDSP game and save data aren't region locked and the save file should be fine to access even if the game copy is from another region, as long as you're using the same console to access the save since they are tied to the system itself. If we get DLC it will probably be fine too, the SwSh DLC wasn't region locked and was compatible with all regions so you can expect similar with BDSP. There are a few games on Switch that have certain region restrictions but Pokémon, as well as most games on the Switch, aren't one of them.

Last edited:
    Back