• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I ain't really interested in the new Pokemon shows :(

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Now please, may I ask what was the purpose of this thread?
    The purpose of this thread is to see who else agrees to the statement, and to what extent. Reading the first post should tell.

If you don't like the show now, it doesn't necessarily mean that you've outgrown the show. It could really be the reason that it's not good anymore.
    Even if people liked the older ones, it doesn't necessarily mean it's because of nostalgia. It could be because the older ones really were good.

I don't like the anime anymore either. I hate it when people think saying that you don't like the anime anymore is nagging. It's just sharing opinions.
    If someone likes the anime, then no one should have any problem with that. If someone doesn't like the anime these days, no one should have any problem either.

People fail to read the feelings of the inner mind, and the psychology which made it good at first. There are reasons other than nostalgia for which the older ones may seem good to a person, and the newer ones may seem bad. Each of them has a certain feel to it.
    I know it because I thought about what made each part of the anime good or bad.
    I experimented it on my 11 year old brother who has never seen Pokemon before. I showed him a few of the new episodes and then a few of the old episodes. He said he liked the older ones better. What's that? Nostalgia? Or are you gonna say he has no taste? It's a deep thing which has to do with our feelings.

Dashi_sato

New ROMhacker
    Years
  • If there are any guitar playrers here they will understand this analogy.
    The old series is like a vacuume tube amp, its very warm, the storyline is rich, and there are plot changes.
    The new one is like some cold solid state amp from target. Its cold, dry, lifeless, and repetitive

The johto episodes were the high point of the series. master quest, more specifically

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    The johto episodes were the high point of the series. master quest, more specifically

I'll partially agree with that. xD

Master Quest, or at least the end of it, is what got me back into the anime. Advanced helped, but honestly Johto itself, pre-Master quest was the downfall of the series for me. D: Somehow, that one season just totally caused me to lose interest.

Weird how things work..

Although, I still think DP is missing something. :/

Semidos

Misty Fan Forever
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    The show is aimed at people 6-10 years-old and more likely you're above that age...so...why are you still watching it...
    I will say you. I'm 18 years old. And why do I still like old episodes which were aimed to 6-10 too? But I don't like newer. Answer is easy, because newer episodes sucks.

I think the problem with DP is lack of conflict between Ash, Brock and Dawn. They don't really argue amongst each other. Most of the episodes are just focused on the Pokemon's problems as opposed to the trainers like it used to be. I think that's why you're not really interested in it.
    Yes, it's a good reason.

Last edited:

Jmath

*blank*
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2011
    Oh, I thought it was the repetitive plot......

Oh, I thought it was the repetitive plot......

XD, this post adds to the humor

There's one thing DP (the Sinnoh saga) isn't and that's repetitive. This saga alone has brought a lot of new things to the show in terms of overall plot and continuity which none of the other sagas did.

Kanto had a lot of episodic humor but that's about it. But I can see why it would be more enjoyable since it's more humorous as opposed to the more action-oriented Sinnoh.

ashketchum23

I love Pokemon!
    Years
  • I watch the show but not all the time. Even the books of Pokemon sucked (New ones). Seriously, the old Pokemon was the best, and I will always remember. They did have creativity with their names. Each name represented the kind of Pokemon, looks, animal type. Now they are making these names that represent nothing, like for example; Dialga

I really hate the new names. They are just naming Pokemon just to have a name.

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
  • "Justice League is awesome and Samurai Jack is awesome and we buy a lot of anime shows that're great, but those shows really are directed more towards the nine to fourteen age group, and the six and seven and eight year olds we're not gelling with the Justice League and some of the more fanboy shows... The main mission was making a good superhero show for kids. Now if the fanboys happen to like the Teen Titans also, that's great, but that was not our mission."
    —Executive Producer and Former Cartoon Network V.P. Sam Register

That should really sum it up.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2010
    I liked the older seasons better. D/P doesn't have the slapstick humor or the dramatic moments like the classic episodes do.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • I watch the show but not all the time. Even the books of Pokemon sucked (New ones). Seriously, the old Pokemon was the best, and I will always remember. They did have creativity with their names. Each name represented the kind of Pokemon, looks, animal type. Now they are making these names that represent nothing, like for example; Dialga

actually, the names names have a lot of meaning, just look up on Bulbapedia, they research the names and find a lot of stuff, many names originate from Japanese myth and Latin, aswell as Greek....

oops, went on a bit there, anyways.

I don't like the new shows much, Team Rocket appears way too much and can ruin what may seem like a good episode, also, Ash's constant cockiness and inability to learn from his mistakes most of the time (even though he practically makes the same mistakes way too much) makes me dislike him, alot.

and if only the new ones had introduced Galactic earlier, then maybe I'd be more interested...also, the fact that the show over here in Britain NEVER actually moves on from the Wallace cup episodes isn't a big help either.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Oblivion Reaper 2.0 said:
    The show is aimed at people 6-10 years-old and more likely you're above that age...so...why are you still watching it...

Why do people still play those terrible Pokémon games? Because they still enjoy it obviously.

It just seems that people expect things to grow up with them even though they are just living in a dream world if they do think that.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • Kanto was funny, yes. DP however has an interesting plotline of you ask me :) However, I think there is one massive problem it has had (aswell as Hoenn):

Filler, filler, filler...

Fillers get on my nerves. But aside from that, there's not much wrong with it anymore (I actually think some old humour is starting to be retrieved :P)

Pokemon keeps changing - thus so does the anime. Unfortunately, there's little we can do about that.

yoshi12370

Bouncing along!
    Years
    • Age 35
    • NYC
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    Nostalgia Filter...

I read most of the comments on this thread and it reminded me of this trope.

Jotho was the WORSE of the Pokemon series. Basically Jotho was a filler arc that was longer than the Naruto Filler arc! All the "Repetitive Plot" complaints originated from Jotho.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Jotho but it took 3+ years for Ash to get 8 badges while Hoenn took 1+ years.

Please don't get offended by my opinion...

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • Thank god for this thread.

Without it, this forum wouldn't have managed to reach it's monthly quota of "Pokemon sux now, Old eps da best, Bring back Misty" threads.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Aw, come on, there's still like twenty days left before the end of the month. I'm sure the nostalgia addicts can complain an awful lot in that time.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    I really don't get the point of this...
    If you don't like how the anime is going...well just suck it up...

xamillion.

I believe that most people who go on and on about how Kanto/Orange/Johto were amazing and awesome and D/P ruined it forever probably actually haven't watched much of the original series. Yeah, maybe as a kid while you're eating your chocolate chip pancake-sausage on a stick and drinking mountain dew, you could deal with endless filler after endless filler once a week. You were probably barely paying attention to the show itself.

Go back and watch those episodes. Now. Are they REALLY that enjoyable? IF so, what makes them so different from the current ones?

I gotta agree that the new show is not as good as the old one. For one just look at the creativity of all the Pokemon names of the first 151.

That shouldn't be held against the anime, since they have no influence in naming Pokemon.

For me i reckon Pokemon is losing it's touch, they seem to be running out of cool new ideas.

Yeah, totally man. I mean, it's not like they make a hugely profitable movie every year and get pretty good ratings for a show thats 10+ years old, totally running out of ideas bro!

And what's with having these stupid Pokemon Beauty Contests in the TV show!!!!! Pokemon are made for battling.

Someone hasn't played a Gen 3 game.

Team Rocket is in all of them.

They were in every episode in Kanto starting with their debut in episode 2.

I think the problem with DP is lack of conflict between Ash, Brock and Dawn.

First off, you do know that the arguing is always friendly arguing and not heated disagreements? Dawn isn't Misty, so of course they aren't going to argue as much, but they still do.

I think it's the fact that mostly all the trainers get along that you may find it boring to watch. At least we have Paul, though.

Applies to the old series too.

I hate when they make Dawn lose the contest. I know it's for character development, but it was really boring to not even see her battle. Those episodes just felt rushed imo.

Character development makes it rushed?

The purpose of this thread is to see who else agrees to the statement, and to what extent. Reading the first post should tell.

It's not like there isn't 1-3 of these threads every month. This forum is much more interested in complaining about the anime/waxing nostalgia than actually discussing it.

If you don't like the show now, it doesn't necessarily mean that you've outgrown the show. It could really be the reason that it's not good anymore.

Actually, it more than likely does mean they outgrow. As demonstrated above, every "complaint" leveled at D/P can be said for the entire series.

I greatly enjoy D/P, but the series, at it's core, has been the same since Episode 01.

Even if people liked the older ones, it doesn't necessarily mean it's because of nostalgia. It could be because the older ones really were good.

Like?

People fail to read the feelings of the inner mind, and the psychology which made it good at first. There are reasons other than nostalgia for which the older ones may seem good to a person, and the newer ones may seem bad. Each of them has a certain feel to it.

That's exactly what nostalgia is. Especially when the entire feelings are "eh um old=good new=bad"

I experimented it on my 11 year old brother who has never seen Pokemon before. I showed him a few of the new episodes and then a few of the old episodes. He said he liked the older ones better. What's that? Nostalgia? Or are you gonna say he has no taste? It's a deep thing which has to do with our feelings.

Did you bother to ask him why? Or maybe he's heard you talk about the anime before and you've subtly influenced him to favor the older ones? Or maybe you purposely picked out the worst newer episodes and the best older ones?

Straigt from someone who hasn't watched Johto recently.

I will say you. I'm 18 years old. And why do I still like old episodes which were aimed to 6-10 too? But I don't like newer. Answer is easy, because newer episodes sucks.

Yes, it's a good reason.

So nostalgia?

There's one thing DP (the Sinnoh saga) isn't and that's repetitive. This saga alone has brought a lot of new things to the show in terms of overall plot and continuity which none of the other sagas did.

Kanto had a lot of episodic humor but that's about it. But I can see why it would be more enjoyable since it's more humorous as opposed to the more action-oriented Sinnoh.

Sinnoh still has plenty of humorous moments. Croagunk, for one. And the Rotom episode was hilarious.

I watch the show but not all the time. Even the books of Pokemon sucked (New ones). Seriously, the old Pokemon was the best, and I will always remember. They did have creativity with their names. Each name represented the kind of Pokemon, looks, animal type. Now they are making these names that represent nothing, like for example; Dialga

The anime doesn't make up the names.

Also link

Yeah, because "Mankey" and "Pidgey" is soooo creative.

I liked the older seasons better. D/P doesn't have the slapstick humor or the dramatic moments like the classic episodes do.

...D/P has both of those. Not as much humor, but ti's still there.

I don't like the new shows much, Team Rocket appears way too much and can ruin what may seem like a good episode,

So why is TR a hinderance now but not 6 years ago?

also, Ash's constant cockiness and inability to learn from his mistakes most of the time (even though he practically makes the same mistakes way too much) makes me dislike him, alot.

Again, why is this bad now but wasn't 6 years ago?

and if only the new ones had introduced Galactic earlier, then maybe I'd be more interested...also, the fact that the show over here in Britain NEVER actually moves on from the Wallace cup episodes isn't a big help either.

Compared to the almost non-existant TR arc?

Kanto was funny, yes. DP however has an interesting plotline of you ask me :) However, I think there is one massive problem it has had (aswell as Hoenn):

Filler, filler, filler...

Fillers get on my nerves. But aside from that, there's not much wrong with it anymore (I actually think some old humour is starting to be retrieved :P)

Pokemon keeps changing - thus so does the anime. Unfortunately, there's little we can do about that.

There's far less filler in Sinnoh.

Semidos

Misty Fan Forever
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    Don't get me wrong, I liked Jotho but it took 3+ years for Ash to get 8 badges while Hoenn took 1+ years.
    DP will take more years. And in Johto we had Whirls Islands, which were more exciting than DP fillers.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • You are no longer 6 years old. You're 16. You're not supposed to like the show.

I really dont care how old I am, I freakin grew up watching this show! My childhood memories is this show! I still like it but I dont watch it as much as I used to. off subject- I still watch the freakin power puff girls!. But they really could improve the show by getting a better voice cast (something close the original voices) They could make the titles less predictiable i.e. Ash gets a new pokemon! gee that kinda ruins the show a bit dont you think? They need to have Team Rocket act like the villians like they were in the older series (seasons 1-5) THE THEME SONGS OMG! HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE A POKEMON MASTER! NOT A FREAKIN HERO!

>> sorry for my bad grammer, and some of this was a reply to someone who was wondering how they could improve the show.

Back