• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Master's Project: Procedurally Generated 2D Pokémon Map

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2016
    Hello,

I am in the process of writing my Master's thesis on Procedural map generation, with a focus on 2D environments. As part of this, I have developed a 'game' prototype in a Pokémon design style, which takes input from the 'player' and creates a map on those specifications, using a combination of the different methods I have researched.

It would help me out if someone could help me out and take a look at it and answer some quick questions I have prepared, or just answer in whatever other manner you prefer. The response decides which direction I take the final part of the project in, and what conclusions I make.

You can post your answers here, or send them to me on [email protected] :)

By the way, large maps take a while to create.
    Also, your computer might automatically set the quality to the lowest, so you if you want it higher, you just choose a higher quality in the drop-down menu when you open the build :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Noyy0e9PqmV19aMkJlZ0paSUE

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2016
    I had a look at your prototype. If you can provide your prepared questions I'll answer them.

What does every slider(moisture, etc) influence? it seems like they don't change anything.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2016
    I had a look at your prototype. If you can provide your prepared questions I'll answer them.

What does every slider(moisture, etc) influence? it seems like they don't change anything.

Yes, adding the questionnaire was probably a good idea, sorry :P

To answer you question, some of chaged values only apply if others are changed, so it might not be immediately obvious. In a later versions I think I'll adjust it so the effect is more immediate :)

Before playing the prototype:
    • Do you have any previous experience creating games?
    • When designing games, what are your most common obstacles?
    • Do you use any tools when designing levels? Ones that make the process easier?
    • Do you have a need for a tool that can help you generate the levels/maps automatically? If yes, what kind of tool would you want?
    • What does Procedural Generation mean to you, in terms of creating game maps?

After playing the prototype:
    • What is your impression after playing the prototype?
    • Could you use any aspects or features of this prototype as a tool in your own work?
    • Which features/aspects are missing?
    • Which features/aspects are unnecessary?
    • Which feature would you be most likely to use?
    • Could this product be of in your creative process?
    • If this was a tool, would you use the whole product, or only select features? This could be any part, from the overall map shape, to the automatic road generation.
    • Would this product be of most use for big or small games? (such as full hour-long games versus quick minute-long games)

I'm afraid that my email account is being a bit weird, so I'm afraid that my reply to your review might not have gotten through - so I'll add it here just in case :)

"Hi Koji,

Thank you for playing the demo and answering the questions, it helps me out a lot!
    Your impression of the controls are similar to other replies I've gotten; they don't have the effect people expect them to, which is definitely something I have to look at :)
    I think you're on to something about giving the user some abilities to more specifically edit the map.

Your english is great, by the way! Although it's not my first language either ;)

Kind regards, "

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back