• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Battle✓] [FR] Difficult pokemon match ups and movesets

Years
Hello, i am currently building a hard version of FR without the crazy level jumps and illegal moves. I have implemented JPAN's dynamic trainer levels, Doesnt's EV trainer Pokemon. I am working with akamethebulbasaurs ai routines to make the AI a bit smarter. I am adding more items. Currently i have successfully added damp, icy, smooth and hear rock and wide lens. If anyone knows how(or can link a thread) how to add assault vest and choice specs, that'd be awesome.

But I have come to ask, any ideas on how to make the game harder? Any crazy competitive teams you think would be a good addition? I've been going on smogon for teams and movesets. Any other ideas?

Secondly, do i keep gyms the same(as in all one type) or do i just say eff it? This is something i have to answer but getting ideas is always nice. I feel like if i chose to have different types, i would need to redo(at least a little..) the gyms graphics. It would look weird if brock had electric pokemon unless the scene matched. I look forward to anyones input! :)

PS: Ill be posting this on r/romhacking (or whatever it is) so dont yell at me about double posts :shaking-head-no:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 16, 2024
Some ways to increase difficulty:

1. Weak pokemon in wild

I'm talking sunkern, hoothoot, caterpie etc

2. Give the opponent type advantage

So if sunkern, hoothoot, and caterpie are in the wild, give opponents swablu (learns peck early), magby, growlithe etc

3. Limit healing items

Make them more expensive, or make the trainers give out less money (Life of Guardians did this)

4. Disable the option of allowing the player to switch pokemon after the opponents pokemon faints

There's a quick way to so this with hex editing. DoesntKnowHowToPlay posted it somewhere.

5. Weather

Give some gym leaders weather based teams. Make them outside with it raining or sunny. Automatic rain with misty having some swift swim pokemon would be really challenging for example

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
My tip for difficulty? Increase the levels of trainer's Pok?mon. Bump up the first few gym leaders a couple levels to give a challenge early on, then make the last two or three have level increases of 5-10 levels per Pok?mon. Their stats will be so high that the difficulty curve becomes much sharper. The player may need to grind more but if you add extra content in between the gym leaders (or add a few rare candies in ;) ) then it won't feel as grindy for players - even if it is a lot more so.

Back