• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Pokemon cross Breeding

AceTrainerGecx

Elite Trainer
Years
  • Im currently spinning with the idea to implement Pokémon cross breeds, but Im struggling to figure out the coding and how it would work, any Help would be appreciated

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    You'll have to be more specific about what you're trying to do. Are you imagining something like Pokémon Infinite Fusion where you can combine two Pokémon to get something that inherits some of the types, abilities, movesets, etc from both parents (if so, see also this thread with some ideas from me about how to generate better art than IF has)?

AceTrainerGecx

Elite Trainer
    Years
  • The idea is similar, cross breeding in reference that the mother Pokémon as the base Pokémon with the father Pokémon effecting the form, so if you had an Female Lycanroc and a Male Mightiena the result would be a Rockruff with a more scruffy form with some poocheyena coloration, and only with Pokemon that make sense so no cross breeds of wailord and skitty for example

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Okay, so my second link might provide some inspiration for how you could automatically generate the graphics for those crossbreeds.

Do you have other specific questions about the coding? What have you written so far, and what problems have you encountered that you want opinions/advice on?

haven1433

Modder / Programmer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2024
    I'd recommend starting with something simpler. While full cross breeds would be super fun, they'd also require a lot of work. Can you pick something smaller that would still be fun for the player, but let them know what it is they're getting?
    A few "simple" ideas:
    * The species is based on the mother, but the palette / coloration comes from the father.
    * The child can have the father's ability
    * The child can have the father's types
    * The child's base-stats come from its parents instead of being statically determined based on species.

Depending on what kind of game you're wanting to make, these could be far easier to implement than fully custom cross-breeds. But "easier" doesn't mean "easy" - any of these alone would still be rather ambitious.

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
  • I'd recommend starting with something simpler. While full cross breeds would be super fun, they'd also require a lot of work. Can you pick something smaller that would still be fun for the player, but let them know what it is they're getting?
    A few "simple" ideas:
    * The species is based on the mother, but the palette / coloration comes from the father.
    * The child can have the father's ability
    * The child can have the father's types
    * The child's base-stats come from its parents instead of being statically determined based on species.

Depending on what kind of game you're wanting to make, these could be far easier to implement than fully custom cross-breeds. But "easier" doesn't mean "easy" - any of these alone would still be rather ambitious.

I noiced that the alolan/delta script found here:
    was able to use a custom flag to breed alolan pokemon naturally. using that as a base we could mod a script to work like you described.

Back